HT setup, any suggestions?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HT setup, any suggestions??

chengg02
03-07-2010, 09:47 PM
hey guys, here's what i got right now... and i have a dumb question about the crossover on the sub itself... do i put it on the max number hz or min? I understand that i have to let the AV receiver control the crossover but i'm not sure if i should set it to the max hz or min on the subwoofer?? does anyone understand what i mean??!!:nonod:

any suggestions would be welcomeD!

6.1 System setup

Onkyo HT-R520 >> AV Receiver
Boston VR960 >> Fronts
Boston CR7 >> Surrounds
a little polkie RM??? >> Back
another little polkie RM???? >>Center
Crossover currently set at 120 Hz

According to the receiver, the channels are rated at 110 watts per channel, but if i use the entire 6.1 feature, would this deteriorate the sound?

I have yet to replace my center, i'm waiting for the right vr12 or vr10 to come my way!!

so if anyone is selling one plz let me know!! THx Alot~!!

:cornut:

chengg02
03-08-2010, 01:40 AM
By the way, my sub is polk psw250 with the lfe connection.

Anyone think that my receiver has sufficient power to drive all its components well? or do i need a higher end one? perhaps a preamp??

Hyfi
03-08-2010, 05:01 AM
If your receiver has bass management, and your sub has a filter on-off switch then it doesn't matter as long as the filter switch is in the right position as the crossover setting should be ignored and handled via the receiver. You may need to adjust the volume.

pixelthis
03-08-2010, 12:49 PM
hey guys, here's what i got right now... and i have a dumb question about the crossover on the sub itself... do i put it on the max number hz or min? I understand that i have to let the AV receiver control the crossover but i'm not sure if i should set it to the max hz or min on the subwoofer?? does anyone understand what i mean??!!:nonod:

6.1 System setup

Boston VR960 >> Fronts
Boston CR7 >> Surrounds

According to the receiver, the channels are rated at 110 watts per channel, but if i use the entire 6.1 feature, would this deteriorate the sound?

I have yet to replace my center, i'm waiting for the right vr12 or vr10 to come my way!!

Your sub should nave some kinda "bypass" switch or setting.
This is what you need to set it on.
GOING through the subs crossover can only cause distortion.
Its a complication in the signal path you dont need, because your receiver is handling the job.:1:

Mr Peabody
03-08-2010, 06:31 PM
True, if the sub has "bypass" to bypass it's internal crossover then use that. But, if it's an older sub with no such feature then set the subs crossover to "max" to take it out of the path.

I think your receiver will be fine. If it's a multichannel receiver it will have dedicated power to each channel. Except the sub of course.

You are on the right track with replacing that center as soon as possible.

chengg02
03-08-2010, 09:32 PM
would changing the receiver improve the sound (as far as music is concerned)? Because I'm currently hooked on the PS3 and it has a feature where it could "upgrade" music to higher resolution if the sound is going through the hdmi, anyone think that it is worth it to purchase a new hdmi capable receiver ?

I want to know if i need to switch to one with hdmi?

Mr Peabody
03-08-2010, 09:50 PM
It depends on if you will be playing many Blu ray discs. If so, the sound quality is a step up improvement when using HDMi and the HD audio formats (Dolby Tru-HD & DTS-MA "master audio"). They are supposed to be bit for bit the same as the original master soundtrack. This is a nice improvement over standard DVD. Take a look at the Onkyo
tx-sr607.

chengg02
03-09-2010, 01:36 AM
thanks for all your help!!

i will search a more appropriate center more urgently while keeping an eye out in the future for a good receiver.

chengg02
03-09-2010, 10:18 PM
hi all, i have found a klipsch RC35 center for about 70 bucks, how does this compare to the boston vr10? to the vr12? or should I wait awhile longer for the vr10 or 12?

Mr Peabody
03-10-2010, 07:04 PM
The Klipsch will be much brighter and crisp. It will stick out like a sore thumb against the Bostons. I wouldn't get the Klipsch unless planning to replace your current Boston with Klipsch. If you like the Klipsch sound they can be fun for HT having more of a theater type sound. They can also play loud with not much power. The draw back those horns can be abrasive on the ears at times especially with elevated volume levels. The important thing is to keep the front speakers matched brand and series if possible.

chengg02
03-10-2010, 07:57 PM
thanks for the prompt reply, as i was going to get the klipsch center tonight! I will hold off for a chance for a boston center then.

LMB
03-11-2010, 01:52 PM

6.1 System setup

Boston VR960 >> Fronts
Boston CR7 >> Surrounds

Set it to the max since your running it through the receiver and set crossover to 80 in the receiver all speakers small unless you have floor speakers for left and right fronts set them to large or small if you prefer that sound

chengg02
03-27-2010, 10:21 PM
hi all, regarding my missing center channel.. i recently saw Bowers & Wilkins CC6 for sale, do you guys think it will match well my boston vr960's and CR7's?

pixelthis
03-29-2010, 12:00 AM
hi all, regarding my missing center channel.. i recently saw Bowers & Wilkins CC6 for sale, do you guys think it will match well my boston vr960's and CR7's?

DUNNO, but I had a pair of Bostons in the rear of a B&W setup once.
I think they were pretty good, but a center is a lot more important.
I do know that the CC6 is an exelent center, not too big, but producing just
the right combo , its basically invisible, the best complement you can pay a speaker.
I know because I have one(going on eight years or so):1:

GregLee
04-14-2010, 10:37 AM
True, if the sub has "bypass" to bypass it's internal crossover then use that. But, if it's an older sub with no such feature then set the subs crossover to "max" to take it out of the path.

This is the standard way to set it up. Here is a non-standard addendum: if you hear boominess and your receiver can't equalize the sub, turn down the sub's crossover control until you hear the boom go away.