Sunday at the record show... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sunday at the record show...

nobody
03-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Hadn't made a trip to the record show to dig through vinyl for a while, but made it out this morning. About $35 scored me the following...

The Jam: All Mod Cons
The Jam: Sound Effects
The Jam: The Gift
Squeeze: Argybargy
The Smithereens: Especially For You
Donnie Iris: Back On The Streets
Mark Andrews & The Gents: Big Boy
Phil Alvin: Un"Sung Stories"

All in all not a bad pick up for a morning...been spending a lazy day listening to the whole stack...playing that Phil Alvin right now.

Mr Peabody
03-07-2010, 06:18 PM
There always seems to be a good turn out for the March show. I didn't have much time to spend there today so really didn't get any gems. I did pick up Warren Zevon's Greatest on CD for a $1.00 and a hand full of Pop stuff. Also, an old Dream Theater concert on DVD which I am anxious to view.

Swish
03-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Hadn't made a trip to the record show to dig through vinyl for a while, but made it out this morning. About $35 scored me the following...

The Jam: All Mod Cons
The Jam: Sound Effects
The Jam: The Gift
Squeeze: Argybargy
The Smithereens: Especially For You
Donnie Iris: Back On The Streets
Mark Andrews & The Gents: Big Boy
Phil Alvin: Un"Sung Stories"

All in all not a bad pick up for a morning...been spending a lazy day listening to the whole stack...playing that Phil Alvin right now.

I didn't see that coming from you. I actually met him once out in Western PA at a mortgage industry golf outing. He works in that business, or at least he did at the time, and we had a nice chat, and he chuckled when I mentioned the Jaggerz and, of course, Wild Cherry. He's a really short due, maybe about 5'3" or so (I'm 6'1"), and he certainly didn't have the appearance of a rocker, especially in shorts and golf shoes. Nice guy though.

Mr Peabody
03-08-2010, 06:10 PM
I've got a Donny Iris anthology or some such to get Love Is Like A Rock and Ahlia. Pardon the spelling if wrong, I'm too lazy to go pull the disc.

MasterCylinder
03-09-2010, 05:24 AM
Also, an old Dream Theater concert on DVD which I am anxious to view.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Which one ?

Mr Peabody
03-09-2010, 06:45 AM
I believe the name is Images & Words, live in Tokyo. It's from 93 when Pull Me Under was big.

MasterCylinder
03-09-2010, 06:48 AM
I believe the name is Images & Words, live in Tokyo. It's from 93 when Pull Me Under was big.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm............the REALLY long hair days.
They looked so plastic back then but played very well............still had Kev on the keys at that time..........cool.

Mr Peabody
03-09-2010, 07:00 AM
Yeah, it looked a bit like they were trying to fit into the "big hair" sceen. There is some good playing on the DVD though. I have to admit I'm not as big a DT fan as many here. Good musicianship is undeniable but some albums the songs sound to piecemill if you will. Like they took turns throwing their parts in with no regard of whether it flows with what's there already. Their singer leaves a bit to be desired sometimes as well. It could be the lyrics he was dealt too. DT is certainly not alone in that aspect in the Rock arena though.

nobody
03-09-2010, 07:23 AM
Eh, there aren't a lot of genres where I don't dip a toe in every now and then. Not my favorite pick up of the day or anything, but a solid straight ahead record.