Need turntable opinions and help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need turntable opinions and help

statman122
03-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Which turntable do you think is better, the Technics SL-D2 or the Pioneer PL-500? I can buy either for the same price.
Also, the Technics has pitch control, which I've never had in the old days. How does one set that? These tables are cheap and I'm actually thinking of buying them both.
thanks for your help!

Steve

02audionoob
03-07-2010, 11:22 AM
The Pioneer is probably the superior turntable of these two. It was 2nd from top of the line for Pioneer in its time. Its quartz-controlled drive is higher technology than the servo control on the Technics and theoretically preferred among the DD turntables.

Pitch control is ordinarily adjusted with a knob or slide until the lights on a strobe dial appear to stand still. In the case of the Technics, the lights to watch are little reflectors on the edge of the platter.

poppachubby
03-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Definitely get the Pioneer. The build quality alone makes it superior over the D2, which employs a plastic plinth amongst other questionable design flaws.

statman122
03-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks Guys.
This guy will me have one for $60 or both for $100. With that in mind, should I get the Technics too?

02audionoob
03-07-2010, 12:16 PM
From what I've seen, prices have gotten to where they're all over the place, so I don't know what the market values of these turntables are, but I will say...I think the SL-D2 is a very competent turntable, worth having. It's just not a near-TOTL in its brand, like the PL-500 is.

poppachubby
03-07-2010, 12:24 PM
If you don't NEED 2 TT's, than don't buy the Technics and put the money into a cartridge, accessories or at the very least, some new wax.

02audionoob
03-07-2010, 12:27 PM
If you don't NEED 2 TT's, than don't buy the Technics and put the money into a cartridge, accessories or at the very least, some new wax.

Chubbs, do you limit yourself to only as many TT's as you NEED? :)

poppachubby
03-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Of course, I need all 7. Next question...