New To Audio Review Forums ! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New To Audio Review Forums !

m.powers
03-06-2010, 09:48 PM
M.Powers
I would like to start by saying Hi to everyone on site. I was pleased to find this group of
enthusiast. It seems as though. From what I have read, there is someone here that knows about everything pretaining to Audio, Vidio, Computers,or
just Electronics in general. I won't take much of your time. I will say. I have had a
lot of experence with Audio equipment. Dating back to around 1975. I still in fact have my
first Sansui 9090 & Sansui SP7500 Speakers. You See, I am a Rocker from that
era. Still am. Both Ex Wifes say I refuse to grow Up. I guess you could say. They think I am
To Old To Rock and Roll. All I know is that, I am To Young To Die! Until next time. You
Guys keep up the Good work. I am looking forward to this.
Thanks, New Member

dakatabg
03-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Hello M. Powers,

Welcome on the board.

The Sansui receiver you have is a big heavy beast! I own 9090DB! I am sure you enjoy the sound!

m.powers
03-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Hello dakatabg!
m.powers Here, Louisville Ky. You are correct when you say big heavy beast. It is actually,
on the Blink. Literally. Protector light flashing. Pro at the Repair shop sais Audio Board
is Bad. I have found all but, on ebay. I am seriously thinking about Buying another 9090
complete on ebay. I have other equipment. But, Nothing with that kind of power.
Any Suggestions, Highly Apreciated. Thanks m.powers

Mr Peabody
03-07-2010, 05:59 PM
The 9090 is highly sought after and would be worth fixing to keep. You may be able to find another one and keep yours for parts. Welcome to the forums.

dakatabg
03-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Yeah you can buy another one since the whole audio board is bad but it is worth fixing it as Mr Peabody said. It as all up to you! Check how much they will charge you and make the decision!

m.powers
03-08-2010, 03:14 AM
Mr Peabody
dakatabg
Thanks for the replies & sugestions. I will have it fixed, if I am able to locate the Audio
board. In the mean time I am going to watch prices on anouther complete unit. The problem
seems to be that all of the other boards are available. The Audio, seems to be the Weak
link. However, 30 years of Great service. Not Bad. I Rocked it many Years!!!!!!
Thanks again m.powers

Mr Peabody
03-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Even with the 990 not working you may be able to get a decent price for it if you were entertaining a change. You'd have to spend some pretty good money to get comparible quality though. Today's receivers wouldn't do it unless going with something like a Rotel or Arcam in which you are back to spending a pretty good amount of money. I had a Sansui au9500 and was really amazed at how well it compared to modern gear.

Here's a link to ponder www.emotiva.com they sell direct to customer and typically give a big bang for the bucks paid.

JoeE SP9
03-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Welcome to AR m powers.

That Sansui is a very sought after receiver. It's worth repairing. Don't forget that any gear that old may have other problems. Usually the capacitors need replacing and the controls need cleaning at minimum.

If you aren't stuck on a receiver there are many other ways to get that level of output.

m.powers
03-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Mr Peabody,
Thanks for the link. I have given some thought, as to the age of these units.
Although, I have been very satisfied. I think realistically, I need to invest in a newer
model.
JoeE SP9,
The Outher Problems, you have mentioned. Also, make me lean toward an
update! Thanks Again

m.powers
03-19-2010, 03:41 AM
Hey Guys!
Well I couldn't stand it any longer. After researching some new equipment. Price &
Quality. I decided to pull the trigger on another Vintage 9090. Call me crazy, but I am
old school and have had very good sucess with the Sansui stuff. I really like the Emotiva, Amp
and pre Amp. However, for now I decided on this Reciever. Recently serviced,Tweeked,
Cleaned & given a clean bill of health. All lamps replaced with LED. Beautifull Piece. Ebay
seller double boxed and guaranteed not DOA. $350.00 plus $60.00 to ship short distance.
I have checked all functions and everything seems to work properly. Play it again Sam, did
the service work. I am very satisfied. What do you think?
Thanks Again! m.powers

Mr Peabody
03-19-2010, 03:09 PM
$350.00 for a good working 990 is a pretty good deal. I thought about you the other day, a guy on CL had a 990 and a pair of Thiel 2.3 for sale $1200.00. The ad stated he would not separate the system. The 2.3 would be a nice speaker too, just depends on whether a person needed them or not.

Any way congrads, and I'm glad you found what you wanted.