paradigm monitor 9 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : paradigm monitor 9

jabuc3
03-06-2010, 11:19 AM
any body know why i keep blowing tweeters , speakers are roughly model year 2000.i use to have a sony str-da1000es, now upgraded to marantz, i'm scared to turn up the volume because i,ve replaced 3 tweeters already. don,t have this problem with older pair of sony speakers i have lying around...

LMB
03-06-2010, 01:52 PM
How many watts does the Marantz put out & are your speakers able to handle it.
Is the Crossover set accordingly

winston
03-07-2010, 01:41 PM
any body know why i keep blowing tweeters , speakers are roughly model year 2000.i use to have a sony str-da1000es, now upgraded to marantz, i'm scared to turn up the volume because i,ve replaced 3 tweeters already. don,t have this problem with older pair of sony speakers i have lying around...
jabuc3" that sucks!! you" and some other people that know got hit with speakers from that Bad batch of paradigm monitor 9 series..... hence there maybe other connection problems (But after blowing 3 tweeters I'm sure you would have caught the culprit by now) my advise is try to trade or sell them before you hit a fourth tweeter??!! :15: good luck in what ever you do. (oh and don't forget to Browse the Reviews on the monitor 9)

audio amateur
03-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Unless you're playing them so loud that you drive them to distortion, there shouldn't be any reason for them to blow. Definitely something wrong here...

MikeyBC
03-11-2010, 12:14 PM
I'd pull them apart and check the crossover, maybe a capacitor has shorted out so its not filtering out low frequencies.

harley .guy07
03-11-2010, 08:23 PM
I have owned a pair of mid 90's monitor 7 Paradigms since they came out and I love them. But I have done extensive modifying to the crossovers and have changed the tweeters to a higher end soft dome tweeter which have changed the sound and balance of these speaker dramatically. Paradigm made good speaker back then but the tweeters were their weak point. They are very bright and the tweeters they used back then were very easy to blow when distortion is pushed through them from the amplifier. I would say for one thing you are playing them past the level of the amplifiers ability to provide clean power to them and with them being the weak point of the speaker this will happen. I like my Paradigms because I have done extensive modifying to them but if it was not for that I probably would have changed them years ago. Paradigms midbass drivers are of good quality and I feel that their tweeters took away from what the midbass drivers could really deliver when matched with a tweeter of good quality.