Bookending my weekend with live shows! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bookending my weekend with live shows!

ForeverAutumn
03-05-2010, 06:54 AM
Blue Rodeo tonight and Muse on Monday. :)

I wasn't planning on seeing Blue Rodeo this time around. I'm not loving the new disk. But a co-worker had decent seats and couldn't go so I bought her tickets. Other friends of ours will be there, so we'll go to the show and meet up with them for beverages afterwards. Despite not totally digging the new disk, Blue Rodeo always put on a great show! I've lost count now of how many times I've seen them as we used to go and see them in clubs all the time before and just after their first album came out. In fact, once they started getting big I actually resented having to buy tickets and pay to see them. But I got over it. They are a damn good live band. :)

I've been wanting to see Muse for years. I've had to miss them each time they've come to town. In the past, even though they can sell out Wembley Stadium, they've always just played club shows here. But I guess getting a song in the last Twilight movie (I've been told...have no desire to actually see it) has catapulted them to the fame that they have overseas, and deserve. They've sold out a 20,000 seat hockey stadium here. They even changed the staging so that they could sell tickets behind the stage! I wish I'd been able to catch one of those club shows before they hit the big time here. But it is what it is and I'm really excited about Monday night's show!

3LB
03-05-2010, 07:05 AM
what song did they have in Twilight? I haven't seen it either. My daughter has a copy of it, but I won't watch it. She keeps her stuff hidden ever since my son put a big John Oates mustache on her poster of that werewolf kid.

ForeverAutumn
03-05-2010, 07:40 AM
what song did they have in Twilight? I haven't seen it either.

According to Wikipedia, Supermassive Black Hole is on the Twilight soundtrack and I Belong To You is on the New Moon soundrack.

I just hope the show on Monday isn't filled with screaming tweenage girls. Muse is almost a prog band dammit!

ForeverAutumn
03-09-2010, 09:31 AM
So, Blue Rodeo was Blue Rodeo. I’ve seen them so many times that there are no surprises anymore. Great show, nice venue, but crappy audience. The sound wasn’t loud enough and the audience talked through the whole show. So every time there was a quiet moment we could hear this din of chatter. It was annoying the hell out of me. Why pay $50 for a concert if you’re just going to talk through it.

The town that the show was in is a bit of a rough town. From our perch in the stands we watched two guys get tossed for two separate fights and Jim Cuddy signaled security, while in the middle of a song, to break up a fight between two chicks right in front of the stage. :nonod: We once left a David Wilcox show in this same town (different venue) because of all the fights breaking out. Some places should not serve alcohol at concerts.

But back to the music. It wasn’t the best BR show that I’ve seen but that had more to do with my lack of love for the new album. The band themselves were in fine form and totally rocked.

Now. Muse. A totally different story. Holy freakin’ stage show Batman! Muse kicked some serious ass. I was expecting this to be a good show and it way exceeded my expectations. Hubby wasn’t expecting much at all and he was just blown away. Muse rock on stage.

I take back what I said about wishing I’d seen them when they were still playing small venues here. I do still wish that, but I wouldn’t have wanted to miss last nights show. It was good old-fashioned arena rock…with laser’s and everything. It was entertaining as hell. I love a good arena show.

They played non-stop for about two hours. They took a break of about three minutes before coming back out for the encore. The stage and lighting were fantastic. The music was awesome. They are all really good musicians. That get’s lost in all the effects I think, but these boys can really play.

From the minute they stepped out on stage the entire crowd of 20,000 was on their feet and they stayed there. It’s been a long time since I’ve been to a concert with that much energy oozing from the audience. I would say that they even outdid the 50,000 person Coldplay audience from the show I was at last year.

The set list was strong. Even including a little Rush tribute with about a minute or two of YYZ. My only complaint was that they didn’t play anything from Showbiz. I like that disk, but I suppose with a release date of 1999, it’s considered classic rock by half the audience. :D

If you’re a Muse fan…or even if you’re sitting on the fence…and you get the chance to see this band live, do it. I don’t think that you’ll be disappointed. This was a great show. I’m still coming down off the concert high, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see this ranked in my top ten when the high is over.

Here’s the set list. Song and album. Thankfully, they didn’t play the full Exogenesis Symphony. :rolleyes:

1. Uprising – The Resistance
2. Resistance – The Resistance
3. New Born – Origin of Symmetry
4. Map of the Problematique – Black Holes and Revelations
5. Supermassive Black Hole – Black Holes and Revelations
6. Guiding Light – The Resistance
7. Interlude - Absolution
8. Hysteria - Absolution
9. Nishe
10. United States Of Eurasia – The Resistance
11. Feeling Good/Take a Bow intro – Origin of Symmetry/Black Holes and Revelation
12. Helsinki Jam
13. Undisclosed Desires – The Resistance
14. Starlight – Black Holes and Revelations
15. Plug In Baby – Origin of Symmetry
16. YYZ (Rush cover)
17. Time Is Running Out - Absolution
18. Unnatural Selection – The Resistance

Encore:
19. Exogenesis: Symphony, Part 1: Overture – The Resistance
20. Stockholm Syndrome - Absolution
21. Knights of Cydonia – Black Holes and Revelations

poppachubby
03-09-2010, 01:23 PM
I've been listening to Muse for their last 4 albums (counting back form Black Holes). It was awesome back in the day because while headlining huge festivals in EU, they could barely fill a club here. They've always been most excellent live as I have seen them 4 times now. Black Holes certainly boosted them into superstar status, which is cool with me.