Peter Gabriel cover album [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Peter Gabriel cover album

Slosh
03-04-2010, 06:24 PM
With all of the proggers around here I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned yet. I haven't heard it but it's called Scratch My Back and includes covers from Bowie, Elbow, Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Paul Simon, The Kinks, Neil Young, Talking Heads . . .

Apparently there is gonna be a follow-up album where these bands cover his songs.

http://stereogum.com/98101/peter_gabriels_scratch_my_back_features_arcade_fir/video/

It's also available as a 24-bit FLAC download from B&W (yes, that B&W)

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?terid=4901&infid=3550

3LB
03-04-2010, 07:54 PM
My pet name for this is Scratch My Ass

I listened to the first three songs from this at a local college record store a couple of weeks ago - Heroes, The Boy In The Bubble, Mirrorball...I actually didn't make it all the way through Mirrorball. These aren't reinterpretations, they're dirges. Every song is done true to the original tune, albeit to a plodding tempo with an orchestra (no guitars, keys or drums). Boring. All that's missing is some nature sounds. Why does a guy like Gabriel think we want to hear somber, funeral home versions of songs like these? This is why he was too busy to appear with Genesis at the RRHOF induction ceremony?

I'm sure the artists/acts who get covered here are honored and rightfully so, since taken on an individual basis they might actually come across as the tip-o'the-hat they were intended to be, but I sincerely hope when they return the favor, they do it with a whole lot more energy and thought.

This is yet another example of why I approach covers albums with reservation.
Reservation confirmed.

Slosh
03-05-2010, 04:52 AM
Yeah, I listened to some samples after I posted. Not what I was expecting and not something I would want to buy. Still, I must say his voice sounds as good as ever.

Troy
03-05-2010, 08:49 AM
It's getting universally panned . . . which is why no one is talking about it. It sounds awful.

Mr MidFi
03-05-2010, 09:01 AM
The follow-up album could be interesting. I'd love to hear what all those artists might do on a PG tribute album.

But this one holds no interest for me. None.

Finch Platte
03-05-2010, 09:25 AM
My pet name for this is Scratch My Ass

I listened to the first three songs from this at a local college record store a couple of weeks ago - Heroes, The Boy In The Bubble, Mirrorball...I actually didn't make it all the way through Mirrorball. These aren't reinterpretations, they're dirges. Every song is done true to the original tune, albeit to a plodding tempo with an orchestra (no guitars, keys or drums). Boring. All that's missing is some nature sounds. Why does a guy like Gabriel think we want to hear somber, funeral home versions of songs like these? This is why he was too busy to appear with Genesis at the RRHOF induction ceremony?

I'm sure the artists/acts who get covered here are honored and rightfully so, since taken on an individual basis they might actually come across as the tip-o'the-hat they were intended to be, but I sincerely hope when they return the favor, they do it with a whole lot more energy and thought.

This is yet another example of why I approach covers albums with reservation.
Reservation confirmed.

Nice review! :lol:

I haven't heard it, but this is pretty much what I hear.