Cambridge Audio 650BD vs Arcam AVR 350 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cambridge Audio 650BD vs Arcam AVR 350

wildaxe123
03-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Hi folks

I'm new to the forum and unfortunately a novice in the AV world! I'm looking for some advice on which amp is best to get. I have a choice of an older demo Arcam AVR 350 for $1500 cdn or the new Cambridge Audio 650 AVR for $1800. The other equipment to be used is as follows:

- Focal 807v front speakers
- Polk Audio rears
- Paradigm studio center (hoping to get a matching Focal center soon)
- Cambridge Audio 650 BD BluRay player

I am somewhat familiar with the Arcam and in my opinion it sounds incredible. Only thing is it seems to lack re the video decoding and availability of hdmi inputs. The Cambridge Audio unit appears to have the "latest and greatest" in video decoding and has adequate hdmi inputs that can handle audio as well as video. Only thing is I'm not familiar with the Cambridge unit vis a vis audio quality.

Any experience you have with these units or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Mr Peabody
03-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Well if you have $5k you can get the new Arcam AVR-600. It is supposed to be worth every penny giving separates a run for the money.

Back to reality, the older Arcam is a nice receiver but go for the updated features and decoding. The HD audio is as big of an improvement with Blu ray as the picture quality. So go with Cambridge or maybe give a look/listen to one of the Rotel 1500 series receivers.

For under $2k you might also want to consider the Emotiva A/V separates www.emotiva.com .

audio amateur
03-05-2010, 11:03 AM
I hear Cambridge Audio AV receivers are some of the best sounding receivers out there. Go with the Cambridge, as it boasts all the latest and greatest.
BTW, the name is 650R.

wildaxe123
03-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Just to throw another question into the mix how does the NAD T765 compare to the Cambridge Audio 650r?

audio amateur
03-05-2010, 12:59 PM
The Nad looks very good on paper from what I can see, but isn't it more expensive? I'm not crazy about the looks though, but that's just me. The Arcam is probably a great unit but is laking the the high def sound decoding (DTS Master Dolby True HD) puts it behind the other two if you if you want these decoding capabilites.

audio amateur
03-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Acutlly scrap that, the page I was looking at is misleading. It doesn't look like the Nad decodes high def sound.