For Office use: PLEASE PLEASE HELP. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : For Office use: PLEASE PLEASE HELP.

jrhymeammo
03-03-2010, 07:06 AM
Help me hate my job less without becoming "jobless". hahah...ha.....

We have this biased dual standard at the office. Japanese workers are no allowed to listen to music, and must(of course unwritten but insinuated) work past 8PM without compensation. Non-Japanese workers are allowed to work 6 for 8 hour pay with permission to listen to their music...
Until the economy turns around, I really need to find ways to go around this ridiculous corporate direction.

Here is what I'm thinking
Use a stereo bluetooh headset that works for both calls and STEREO music.
I already have LG CF360 that works "ok" for music.

Question:
If you guys know a better unit, please please let me know.

I'm thinking about getting a Motorola headset.
http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Mobile+Phone+Accessories/Headsets/Bluetooth-Stereo-Music-Headphones/MOTOROKR-S9-22400-US-EN

Is there a better music phone option out there for say $200 or less with corporate discount? (I'll find out the actual discount.) Here are requirement:

-AT&T cellphones
-Micro SD card capacility
-Plays shuffle for non-web purchased music. (My phone has media player, but songs must be purchased thru AT&T music site. Cannot play music from my HardDrive)
-Bluetooth capability.
-Something other than the iPhone, but if they are the best I will consider.

Thanks for your help.
JRA

02audionoob
03-03-2010, 07:40 AM
We have this biased dual standard at the office. Japanese workers are no allowed to listen to music, and must(of course unwritten but insinuated) work past 8PM without compensation. Non-Japanese workers are allowed to work 6 for 8 hour pay with permission to listen to their music...

Are you aware you are making an accusation of a highly illegal practice?

jrhymeammo
03-03-2010, 07:44 AM
HR doesn't think so, of course he wants nothing to do it.
I'm paid salary so according to the company, I don't need to be paid overtime.

Also, they never say "You must work past 8PM", but instead they create environment that makes you work past 8PM. I'm often working until midnight at home (Time difference and all..).
I love the work I do, just don't care for the overtime and musicless environment...

02audionoob
03-03-2010, 08:03 AM
I'd rather have just helped you find a nice music phone, but I'm having a hard time getting past your troubling workplace. I assume you're quite familiar with the Android?

jrhymeammo
03-03-2010, 08:10 AM
I hear the Android freezes.
The last thing I need is to have the phone freeze calls because of music.

As for my work environmentm, how does it violate the law?
I'll probably need to look it up at home.

02audionoob
03-03-2010, 08:19 AM
Different treatment because of race violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1964#Title_VII

I'll have to do a little homework on the Android. That was sort of floating to the top of my list for a smartphone. I current have a voice-only phone.

jrhymeammo
03-03-2010, 09:00 AM
Different treatment because of race violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1964#Title_VII

Obviously, I'm not an expert of the law, but I do understand the content of the Civil Rights Act. Since none of the corporate practice has been documented, they can always get out of it. I'm not interested in causing a problem. Hypocritcally, they always show concern of my work hours.

Thanks for your concerns,
JRA

02audionoob
03-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Best of luck. Maybe things will change.

Feanor
03-03-2010, 09:33 AM
HR doesn't think so, of course he wants nothing to do it.
I'm paid salary so according to the company, I don't need to be paid overtime.

Also, they never say "You must work past 8PM", but instead they create environment that makes you work past 8PM. I'm often working until midnight at home (Time difference and all..).
I love the work I do, just don't care for the overtime and musicless environment...
I'm confused: so so if the "past 8 PM" thing isn't written, how do you know it applies only to Japanese workers??

jrhymeammo
03-03-2010, 10:06 AM
I'm confused: so so if the "past 8 PM" thing isn't written, how do you know it applies only to Japanese workers??

It's a fairly small office, and I've seen everyone's timesheets.
Trust me, this is very typical for Japanese based companies, but major entities such as Toyota (our customer) does things properly. All Japanese are given laptops to take work home and all non-Japanese are given desk top computers. Of course non-Japanese workers can be working with drawing and paper documents at home.

poppachubby
03-03-2010, 10:17 AM
My mother worked for a Japanese company in the late 80's. Nippon Denso. Looking back she says they were always fair, but expected maximum labour from each and every worker. Aside from this, every Friday, her boss took her dept out for lunch and paid for the whole thing. Each week, a different worker would get to pick where they would go.

I'm also familiar with Toyota and their mandatory overtime policies here in N.A.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm surprised a Japanese based company isn't trying to make Whitey work hard to. If the discrimination is that blatant, surely YOU can be documenting the necessary evidence to lodge a formal complaint.

jrhymeammo
03-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Well, I would appreciate it if you don't use that W word. This isn't my intent or what I'm getting at. Just the double standard at the work place, and how I'm trying to find ways to work with it. We work with Denso, and they are one of the biggest companies in the industry. I have a friend in TN who works at Denso and they do things right. But apprentely his boss sleeps under the desk just about every night in attempt to increase his sleep...

The main reason why they don't force uniform rules is their lack of verbal skills.
As far as they are concerned, if a non-japanese speaking local staffs work past 5PM, it's a miracle. My ability to speak and write both Japanese and English has become a handicap in a way.

Do you guys know a good cellphone that works without freezing?
I would appreciate some info.