Alice in Wonderland in 3D [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Alice in Wonderland in 3D

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-02-2010, 02:44 PM
This morning i went to a special screening of Alice in Wonderland sponsored by Disney, and shown at Pixar's digital theater on their studio lot.

This movie IMO was very good, very much Tim Burton, great CGI, and very good usage of 3D. Depp was excellent IMO(as he usually is), and boy I love Helen Bonham Carter in these kinds of movies. She is so creepy in real life, she fits in perfectly in this film. Of course this is a Tim Burton film, so it is wacky, charming, and generally fun to watch. I am a huge fan of Danny Elfman, and his music in this movie just shines and totally accentuates the images on the screen. The Burton Elfman team just cannot seem to lose IMO, as they keep churning out great entertainment time after time.

The way 3D was used in this movie is much like Avatar. They smartly used it to create depth rather than alot of objects in the face (which creates eye strain), and I never found it incomfortable to watch. Nobody in our viewing party had any issues with eye strain on this release.

The sound mix is quite good featuring the talents of Steve Boeddeker as the sound designer, and Tom Johnson as the re-recording mixer. They both did an excellent job matching the effects with the 3D, and setting me up with great stuff to do the Blu ray mix for both 2D and 3D(the 3D mix will be slightly different).

If you like Tim Burton, you will love this film. If you don't like him, you will find this Alice to weird to enjoy. I am liked this movie alot, just quirky enough to be interesting, and entertaining enough to keep my eyes glued to the screen, and ears to the speaker array.

ForeverAutumn
03-02-2010, 05:50 PM
I can't wait to see this!!!

JohnMichael
03-02-2010, 06:25 PM
I am also very excited to see the movie. Craig Ferguson has had the actors from A in W on his show. Looks to be a classic. In the 70's I have had a few A in W experiences.

Kam
03-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Hey TTT,
Did you notice any difference in the depth of the 3D between Avatar and AIW? Meaning, (I think) that AIW was not shot natively in 3D, but converted in post, while Avatar was shot natively in 3D with those special Cameron-Cameras.

Am curious if there was any visible difference or if the technology is so advanced/new that our eyes won't know what to look for to tell the differences?

-k

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Hey TTT,
Did you notice any difference in the depth of the 3D between Avatar and AIW? Meaning, (I think) that AIW was not shot natively in 3D, but converted in post, while Avatar was shot natively in 3D with those special Cameron-Cameras.

Am curious if there was any visible difference or if the technology is so advanced/new that our eyes won't know what to look for to tell the differences?

-k

Kam,
This is a hard comparison since it has been awhile since I have seen Avatar. However, the 3D usage was pretty similar, providing more depth to the picture with few objects coming out from the screen.

Since all of our films are 3D from post and not shot that way, it seems consistent with all of our other 3D films. What it has that the others do not is Tim Burton weirdly imaginative mind. Another striking thing about this film, but consistent with Tim Burton is the use of color. It looked to me like he used every color in his 64 color Crayon box.

My boys and I are going to see it on Sunday, it is definitely worth a second view for me.

For the next two weeks I am going to school with 3D. I am going to learn everything I can on the subject. What makes good 3D, what keeps eyestrain to a minimum, who can view it, and what problems that make 3D unviewable to some people.

E-Stat
03-03-2010, 03:31 PM
This movie IMO was very good, very much Tim Burton, great CGI, and very good usage of 3D. Depp was excellent IMO(as he usually is), and boy I love Helen Bonham Carter in these kinds of movies.
Thanks for the heads up. The previews looked good and I appreciate your comments as how Burton used 3D. I like the cast members as well. :)

rw

joner77
03-10-2010, 07:31 AM
Looking forward to watch this in 3D.

Avatar was stunning and I guess the main reason was because of the special cameras that Cameron used. Well that seems to be proved wrong if Alice in Wonderland is as good as Avatar in 3D.

E-Stat
03-10-2010, 03:00 PM
The previews looked good ...
It was fun, but not a repeater for me. The 3D, on the other hand, was tastefully done. As it was with the IMAX film Space Station filmed by NASA I also saw this week.

rw