How good are CNET's reviews? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How good are CNET's reviews?

JStudrawa
03-01-2010, 08:04 AM
I'm comparing these AVR's since CNET references them in each others' reviews...

Denon AVR790
http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/denon-avr-790/4505-6466_7-33650445.html?tag=txt%3bpage

Onkyo TX-SR607
http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/onkyo-tx-sr607-black/4505-6466_7-33553470.html?tag=txt%3bpage

Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K
http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/pioneer-vsx-1019ah-k/4505-6466_7-33496205.html?tag=txt%3bpage

Primarily, since I am can't tell differences in receivers at Frys or Magnolia or Hi-Fi Buys, I rely on reviews I read to help me out. Granted, I am only looking at a $400-$500 AVR, but I like to know I am getting my money's worth even if my tone-deaf self can't hear it.

Primarily, the audio quality of the 3. Denon's is lackluster they say, while the Pioneer "The VSX-1019AH's sounds better than any $500 receiver we can think of".

I am stupidly stuck on the Denon since I have had one for years, but it's more childish attachment.

Anyway, do these guys really know what they're talking about?

Thanks.

blackraven
03-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Go with the Onkyo. It has a lot of features and has a good high current power supply.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Got to go with the Raven type individual on this one. Onkyo is always a good bet when it comes to receivers. Their receivers are great performers, and have excellent bang for the buck.

JStudrawa
03-01-2010, 10:01 AM
You both just made my Denon cry, but I'll give the Onkyo some serious consideration.

Thanks, guys.

nightflier
03-01-2010, 11:07 AM
One caveat with Onkyo is that service isn't that good. Just reaching someone at Onkyo is an exercise in frustration. I would also say that sound quality isn't going to be that different between these models and your source as well as your speakers will affect sound a lot more. Go for the Denon - it's no slouch. If you're still deciding, you should add Yamaha to your list - they are comparatively priced, have similar features, and have great reviews as well.

audio amateur
03-01-2010, 12:04 PM
I don't think it will make a huge difference whichever one you go with. I'm partial to Denon but I hear Onkyo are feature packed. Either way, I'm sure you'll happy with either one

Ajani
03-01-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm comparing these AVR's since CNET references them in each others' reviews...

Denon AVR790
http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/denon-avr-790/4505-6466_7-33650445.html?tag=txt%3bpage

Onkyo TX-SR607
http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/onkyo-tx-sr607-black/4505-6466_7-33553470.html?tag=txt%3bpage

Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K
http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/pioneer-vsx-1019ah-k/4505-6466_7-33496205.html?tag=txt%3bpage

Primarily, since I am can't tell differences in receivers at Frys or Magnolia or Hi-Fi Buys, I rely on reviews I read to help me out. Granted, I am only looking at a $400-$500 AVR, but I like to know I am getting my money's worth even if my tone-deaf self can't hear it.

Primarily, the audio quality of the 3. Denon's is lackluster they say, while the Pioneer "The VSX-1019AH's sounds better than any $500 receiver we can think of".

I am stupidly stuck on the Denon since I have had one for years, but it's more childish attachment.

Anyway, do these guys really know what they're talking about?

Thanks.

CNET reviews may lack all the audiophile keywords (and BS) but they are good for the gear they review... All 3 products have close scores, so I'd suggest reading the reviews and determining which one has the right blend of features/performance that you are looking for...

JStudrawa
03-01-2010, 01:51 PM
What I am fighting is spending $400+ on an AVR when the 1601 performs admirably.

HDMI switching and HD audio are nice features, but are they heads and tails needed? Will I even notice the audio difference?

Will the upconverting work on 720p Netflix streaming? Or the 1080i Comcast HD cable?

Sorry, internal wallet struggles :)

I did go back and read the reviews left by users and they seem to condemn CNET for the poor Denon audio review. That's why I asked the first post.

I think at this point it's weighing the options of HDMI inputs vs. Pioneer's neutral iPod connection vs. 10 years of Denon flawless service.

Ajani
03-01-2010, 02:26 PM
What I am fighting is spending $400+ on an AVR when the 1601 performs admirably.

HDMI switching and HD audio are nice features, but are they heads and tails needed? Will I even notice the audio difference?

Will the upconverting work on 720p Netflix streaming? Or the 1080i Comcast HD cable?

Sorry, internal wallet struggles :)

I did go back and read the reviews left by users and they seem to condemn CNET for the poor Denon audio review. That's why I asked the first post.

I think at this point it's weighing the options of HDMI inputs vs. Pioneer's neutral iPod connection vs. 10 years of Denon flawless service.

Hold on a sec, you already have a Denon that is performing well??? In that case, then I wouldn't recommend changing it... Unless you really want the new features... I really doubt that the new model is going to be greatly superior to the old one (apart from features)...

JStudrawa
03-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Hold on a sec, you already have a Denon that is performing well??? In that case, then I wouldn't recommend changing it... Unless you really want the new features... I really doubt that the new model is going to be greatly superior to the old one (apart from features)...

Correct, I have the Denon AVR1601. Granted, it's 9 years old but it sounds fine for using optical with Blu ray.

I figure I can run the Comcast and Roku thru a new AVR, get better sound as well.

Just not sure it's worth it yet.

Worf101
03-02-2010, 05:39 AM
I've been using Cnet as a source of reviews for about 12 years now. I find them ususally to be "spot on" but I always ALWAYS read other reviews and in particular owner reviews. Unlike the owners of speakers who rarely, if ever, say the multi thousand dollar pair of speaks they just mortgaged the house for "sound like chite on shingle", owners of electronic devices will scream long and loud if a receiver or CDP or BDP sucks mule (fill in the blank). At least I found that to be the case. I think you can rely on Cnet's reviews as a base but not the final word.

Worf

klif570
03-02-2010, 07:48 AM

Hey, I have the 1602 and I'm really happy with it. I have Tannoy SFX5.1 speakers connected to it, and the distortions start to kick in only above 05 (volume goes from 60 to minus 16). I think the 1601 outputs 10W less per channel, but nevertheless it is a nice amp.

If it was me, I'd get the Denon since I like how Denon sounds, but then again I'm a bit of a Denon fan so I can't give you good advice. Onkyo and Sony are brighter amps and Denon and Yamaha are warmer. Not sure about Pioneer though.

Could you demo them in store? You could take your Denon and compare the two Denons side by side. And if you can't tell the difference and don't need 7 channels and the extra features, keep yours and spend the $ on something else. Of course, sales people always tell you how much better the stuff they sell sound, but trust your ears - it's you who will be listening to it at home, not the salesman.

Just my two cents :crazy:

JStudrawa
03-04-2010, 05:11 AM
I think I just ran into my first real issue last night.

Behind Enemy Lines only uses DTS-HD Master Audio? Spanish DD tho :)

I had to watch it in Dolby Pro Logic.

One thing, if the Samsung BD-P1500 says it's DTS HD upgradable, this is the DTS HD High Resolution, not Master Audio? Even so, it wouldn't decode the DTS HD Master Audio, right?

Bikeamtn
03-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Any review is only as good as the unbiased principles put into it. Isn't it?

JStudrawa
03-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Any review is only as good as the unbiased principles put into it. Isn't it?

Right. So, how are their unbiased principles, or lack thereof?

If you have an answer or opinion, infact?

LMB
03-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Consider Marantz same company owns Denon in my opinion Marantz sounds better.

anamorphic96
03-12-2010, 02:59 AM
The Denon would probably be a substantial upgrade from the 1601. Not only would you get solid video processing, HD audio, and HDMI. You would get the Audyssey MultEQ calibration system. Not only will it set all the levels, distances, and crossovers. It will apply room correction with its EQ function. It will also apply EQ to the sub. This will really help clean up the sound of a sub and make things sound tighter and cleaner.

By all means upgrade your receiver. The 790 is one of the best units at its price point along with the Onkyo. However the Onkyo uses Audyssey 2EQ which is not quite as advanced as MultEQ and does not apply EQ to the sub. I also think CNET's review of the 790 is pretty weak.

JStudrawa
03-16-2010, 05:05 AM
I pulled the trigger on the 790. Spent a bit of the weekend setting it up.

Blu-Ray bistream out to AVR, not PCM as I had read elsewhere I guess. I have since read on batpig's guide that if the AVR shows DTS-HD MA or Multi CH IN, it's the exact same thing?

Is there a way to trigger the Samsung LN52A630 to power on and off with the AVR? The TV has a grounded plug, so using the back of the AVR is a no go.

Great receiver, sounds really nice with my speakers and just need to take some time to do the Audyssey now.

Also, I am not noticing a big upconversion for Netflix streaming or Comcast SD channels. I may have read it wrong, but does it do HDMI upscaling or only analog? If not, I will try the Roku via component.

anamorphic96
03-21-2010, 01:15 AM
Keep an eye on the Audyssey and where it sets your crossover. Sometimes its not what you would expect or think it should be and it's not Audyssey's fault. It's typically the way the manufacture implements it into it's receivers. Another thing to note is the distance setting for the suwoofer. If it seems wrong. Audyssey is compensating for the electronic delay in the subwoofer.

Take a look at this FAQ link I have posted from the website. It should answer most questions you have about the system. This is something CNET should have done in the first place before they wrote the review.

Enjoy the new receiver. It's a nice unit.

http://www.audyssey.com/technology/faq.html