Calibrating Through a DVD Player's Menu II [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Calibrating Through a DVD Player's Menu II

Lexmark3200
03-30-2004, 07:37 PM
Let me begin a new thread because the other ones are getting lost in theme, somewhat....

My surround system is calibrated to where I want it, sound-wise, using my RECEIVER's calibration system....but, I noticed on my DVD player, there is an on-screen menu that can be accessed in which you can actually set delay times, dB levels and all sorts of other parameters. Does ANYTHING on the DVD player need to be set for surround calibration at all on this menu? Or is everything handled by the receiver for setting calibration levels for each channel? If the receiver handles it, as I have been advised, what should this onscreen menu read on the DVD player for speaker levels....should everything be on 0?

Slosh
03-31-2004, 12:50 AM
Let me begin a new thread because the other ones are getting lost in theme, somewhat....

My surround system is calibrated to where I want it, sound-wise, using my RECEIVER's calibration system....but, I noticed on my DVD player, there is an on-screen menu that can be accessed in which you can actually set delay times, dB levels and all sorts of other parameters. Does ANYTHING on the DVD player need to be set for surround calibration at all on this menu? Or is everything handled by the receiver for setting calibration levels for each channel? If the receiver handles it, as I have been advised, what should this onscreen menu read on the DVD player for speaker levels....should everything be on 0?

You're using the digital output so the DVD player's own settings won't matter. No matter how you have them set it won't make any difference so long as you're using the digital out. You'd only use the DVD player's internal test tones/delays/etc. via the 5.1 analog outputs (which you'll need to do if you ever want to hear DVD-A hi rez 5.1 tracks at full resolution).

The reason why you're hearing the test tones only in the L/R speakers? I suspect you have the analog stereo outputs connected to the receiver as well 'cause the test tones shouldn't be outputted via a digital out. Hence, your receiver doesn't detect a digital signal with these test tones and then switches to the analog input.

Lexmark3200
03-31-2004, 02:48 PM
You're using the digital output so the DVD player's own settings won't matter. No matter how you have them set it won't make any difference so long as you're using the digital out. You'd only use the DVD player's internal test tones/delays/etc. via the 5.1 analog outputs (which you'll need to do if you ever want to hear DVD-A hi rez 5.1 tracks at full resolution).

The reason why you're hearing the test tones only in the L/R speakers? I suspect you have the analog stereo outputs connected to the receiver as well 'cause the test tones shouldn't be outputted via a digital out. Hence, your receiver doesn't detect a digital signal with these test tones and then switches to the analog input.

Slosh,

I understand EXACTLY what you are saying in the first paragraph; thank you....and so it doesnt matter what I have those numbers on, on the DVD player's menu because Im running a digital out to the receiver.....Panasonic, damn them, doesnt say ANYTHING about this in the manual AT ALL.

In reference to your second comment, I actually do have the analog stereo cables connected from the DVD player, but they arent going to the receiver-----they are going to my TV's inputs in the back through RCA cables so I can watch DVDs through the TV speakers if I dont want to watch in surround for whatever reason.....does this mean anything?

Slosh
04-01-2004, 12:38 AM
In reference to your second comment, I actually do have the analog stereo cables connected from the DVD player, but they arent going to the receiver-----they are going to my TV's inputs in the back through RCA cables so I can watch DVDs through the TV speakers if I dont want to watch in surround for whatever reason.....does this mean anything?

In that case make sure it's set to two channel and you're using the dedicated stereo outs (not the front L/R of the 5.1 out) and you're set. I used to have a Panasonic DVD-RV80 with built in DD/DTS decoders (died after only 17 months :( then replaced with a Pioneer Elite DV-45A) and when set for two channel it (and the replacement Pioneer) wouldn't let you make bass management/delay/speaker level adjustments and I'm pretty sure the test tones didn't work with the digital out either (although it could have digitally output the test tones as stereo PCM -- but what would be the point of that?)

Lexmark3200
04-01-2004, 11:13 AM
In that case make sure it's set to two channel and you're using the dedicated stereo outs (not the front L/R of the 5.1 out) and you're set. I used to have a Panasonic DVD-RV80 with built in DD/DTS decoders (died after only 17 months :( then replaced with a Pioneer Elite DV-45A) and when set for two channel it (and the replacement Pioneer) wouldn't let you make bass management/delay/speaker level adjustments and I'm pretty sure the test tones didn't work with the digital out either (although it could have digitally output the test tones as stereo PCM -- but what would be the point of that?)

Slosh,

Are you sure the DVD player should be set to "TWO CHANNEL" and not "MULTI CHANNEL"? I am using the dedicated stereo outs directly via RCA cords to the TV set's audio inputs; otherwise, the DIGITAL OPTICAL OUT of the DVD player is going to the receiver's DIGITAL INPUT 1 for DTS and DD decoding; are you sure TWO CHANNEL should be selected from the menu here?

Slosh
04-01-2004, 02:03 PM
Slosh,

Are you sure the DVD player should be set to "TWO CHANNEL" and not "MULTI CHANNEL"? I am using the dedicated stereo outs directly via RCA cords to the TV set's audio inputs; otherwise, the DIGITAL OPTICAL OUT of the DVD player is going to the receiver's DIGITAL INPUT 1 for DTS and DD decoding; are you sure TWO CHANNEL should be selected from the menu here?

The two channel setting only applies to the analog outputs in this case. Setting it to multi-channel will only give you the front L/R and when watching a 5.1 DVD through the TV's speakers you'll miss the center and surround channels. As long as your digital out is set to on and bitstream you'll still get 5.1 there. All of the speaker set up menu options have no effect on the digital out.