Furman Elite i Series 15Pfi thoughts? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Furman Elite i Series 15Pfi thoughts?

devuonoste
02-27-2010, 08:32 PM
Hi,

I will probably be purchasing a power conditioner in the near future and I was wondering if anyone had some thoughts on the Furman Elite i Series 15 Pfi.

I am wondering if the Furman mentioned is a good unit or whether I should spend more on something better. I don't want to spend a ton of money on a conditioner but if I should be spending a bit more for something that would be much better then I would do that eventually. As an example I have been eyeing up the PS Audio power plant premier but they cost over $1500. Therefore, if there is no significant performance upgrade I don't want to have to spend that extra money. I don't have any experience with conditioners so any helpful feedback would be appreciated.

I would like to use it as part of an HT system and as part of a 2ch system. All my components are in the same room and I will be switching between the two systems.

I have an Emotiva XPA3 and Yamaha RXV1700 for amplification for HT and I have a Toshiba upconverting DVD and a Panasonic Blu-Ray for HT. Also as part of that system is my Samsung 50inch plasma and a Shaw HDTV PVR receiver.

My 2 channel system consists of an integrated tube amp and a musical fidelity xray v8 CD player.

My speakers are av123 LS6's for the fronts and Rocket RS1000's for rears and an av123
x-voce center channel. The LS6's will also be used for 2 ch.

I am currently having issues with my tube amp, as I hear a relatively loud hum that may be coming from the transformer area and it transmitts through the speakers. I am really hoping that the problem is not due to an issue with the amp, because I'd hate to have to ship it away to get fixed, as any issue may have occurred during shipping, as there was no issues with the amp before.

I have tried everything to cure the problem, like changing tubes, interconnects, speaker wires, ground loop cheater plug, plugging into an APC Back UPS ES 650, moving the amp to a different circuit and no change.

I know the Furman may not cure that issue, as I may have to send my amp in to get checked but I would like to get a conditioner anyways and if it helps with that issue it is a bonus.

Any thoughts on what would be the best bang for the buck conditioner and thoughts on how the Furman would measure up will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all input.

atomicAdam
02-27-2010, 09:53 PM
why the Furman Elite i Series 15 Pfi over something like the PSAudio Quintet?

devuonoste
02-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Hi atomicAdam,

I just picked the Furman, because I have heard good things about the Furman. With that being said, I am in the preliminary stages of research and that is why I started this thread. I want to get an idea on what may be the best bang for the buck conditioner. Do you think the PS Audio quintet is better than the Furman?

Thanks for your input.

devuonoste
02-28-2010, 08:11 PM
I'm surprised there's not that I'm not getting much feedback on this. I wonder if I should have added 'Power Conditioner' in the Label? I thought Furman is a well known brand though.

davarlaw
03-01-2010, 12:00 AM
Its really sound great !

Hyfi
03-01-2010, 05:42 AM
I just recently picked up an APC AV H15 to replace an older Panamax100+. I am quite happy with the results in sound performance and do recommend it.

Can you swap another amp in for a test, usually transformer hum is a sign of a problem.

devuonoste
03-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Hi Hyfi,

I am sending away the amp within the next few days, but I still want to get some input on power conditioners. I'm not sure if I should save my money and spend +/- $1500 or is that really unneccessary if a +/- $500 unit will work just as good. I know most of the time you get what you pay for but after a certain costs the law of diminishing returns starts to occur and I guess I'm wondering what level that is with power conditioners.

Thanks for your input.

atomicAdam
03-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Actually, I'm not sure how they compare. But from photos, it seems the Furman would be great in a rack. The Quintet is cool if you can reach it to turn it on and off, but if you can't, it wouldnt be a good choice.

Soundwise, I can't honestly tell a difference yet between the Quintet and and wallymart special surge protection strip. I'll have to give that a test soon.

devuonoste
03-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Thanks for your input.