HDTV Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HDTV Question

Chrono
03-30-2004, 07:03 PM
I have a HDTV ready TV and am looking at subscribing to some HDTV programming. I'm looking for clarification on how this new HDTV tuner is going to work.

My local cable company has an HDTV tuner that I can rent for $15/month. With this, I get access to about 10 HDTV channels. What I am wondering is, once I get the HDTV tuner, will any of the other channels I currently have come in in HDTV? I often see shows that say they are being broadcast in HDTV, so I thought perhaps with the HDTV tuner, I would be able to view them in HDTV. Or maybe I can only get a true HDTV signal from one of these 10 channels that come with the rental of the HDTV tuner.

Any help would be appreciated. The cable company seems to be having trouble answering this question.

Thanks

karl k
03-30-2004, 08:08 PM
I have a HDTV ready TV and am looking at subscribing to some HDTV programming. I'm looking for clarification on how this new HDTV tuner is going to work.

My local cable company has an HDTV tuner that I can rent for $15/month. With this, I get access to about 10 HDTV channels. What I am wondering is, once I get the HDTV tuner, will any of the other channels I currently have come in in HDTV? I often see shows that say they are being broadcast in HDTV, so I thought perhaps with the HDTV tuner, I would be able to view them in HDTV. Or maybe I can only get a true HDTV signal from one of these 10 channels that come with the rental of the HDTV tuner.

Any help would be appreciated. The cable company seems to be having trouble answering this question.

Thanks
Get with your local cable co and ask them the brand and model... then do some searching on the web(manuf's web site a good place first) to learn all you can. If the unit(Uh-huh-huh he said unit) is capable of receiving local HD broadcasts, then you will get the most out of it. If not, then you ask the provider if they "re-broadcast" local in HD. If not, ask about a different receiver that does receive local "over the air" and still receive the cable broadcast.

I just signed up for the Direct TV HD package and when they explained the local will also be available soon(over satellite), I asked if they(the locals) would be in HD like they are over the air. They said no so I didn't sign up for the locals over the satellite but did get a receiver that received both sat and OTA broadcasts.

Typically, the HD channels are set up on a block of channels as a package and if any other broadcasts are advertising HD, and are not in this block, you won't receive them in HD.

When you do get the HD goin', you've got to check out Discovery HD! Gives a whole new meaning to "discovery"! :)

PS. You should also inquire if the receiver is fro sale and not just for rent. I rented for yrs. before I found out I could have bought! Funny how they don't tell you that up front! :mad:

gonefishin
04-06-2004, 09:11 AM
I've got high def cable and I have to say...true high def really looks amazingly good! Is that correct tho, your cable company charges $15.00 a month rental? Ours is only $5.00 a month rental for the HD box...and $3.00 for a regular digital box.

enjoy!