Geoff's got a new Receiver! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Geoff's got a new Receiver!

Geoffcin
02-25-2010, 05:34 PM
Actually, I've just gotten a MINT old Receiver!

The Pioneer SX1500-T

http://img3.imagebanana.com/img/3i3w9x56/IM003738.JPG

The "T" is for Transistor, and this was the top-of--the-line Pioneer Receiver from the first of the all transistorized receivers they made. This was also the start of the "Pioneer Silver" receivers that culminated in the legendary SX-1980 some 12 years later.

Here's some specs;

Music Power (peak) 4 Ohms @170W/ 8 Ohms @ 140W
RMS Rated Power 4 Ohms @ 60W/ 8 Ohms @ 55W
Freq Response +/- 1dB, from 20Hz to 70kHz (over-all)
Harmonic Distortion < .5% @ 1kHz @ RMS output
Power Bandwidth 15Hz-70kHz (AUX)
Hum & Noise (@ RMS output) Tape Head: better than 75dB/ MAG: better than 80dB/ AUX: better than 90dB

The amp circuitry is single ended push-pull with direct couple. A first for a receiver of the time, and almost immediately discontinued as a DC circuit can be dangerous to itself and speakers when hooked up improperly. However they do sound a lot better than amps with coupling caps, so the SX-1500T is more desirable than the next variant the SX-1500TD.

Right now I'm not even listening to the amp section, but have the unit setup as a Tuner and running the Tape Record out (which bypasses all tone controls) to my integrated tube amp. Driving my maggies, which can be unforgiving with harshly recorded music, it has proven to be so far nothing but sweet and detailed. I've got the local Classic Rock station on and it's really put me into retro-nirvana heaven in a big way!

It's 1969 all over again and the Beatles are playing on the FM!!

poppachubby
02-25-2010, 07:47 PM
Sweet, looks great. thekid just got a similar Pioneer tuner. I'm sure he'll be posting here soon.

thekid
02-25-2010, 08:01 PM
G

Very nice!
I love the looks and sound of the older silver Pioneer.
I can't say I am familiar with that model but if it is in the series as the SX-1980 then it has to be good.

Congrats

dakatabg
02-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Classic

Geoffcin
02-26-2010, 02:46 AM
G

Very nice!
I love the looks and sound of the older silver Pioneer.
I can't say I am familiar with that model but if it is in the series as the SX-1980 then it has to be good.

Congrats

Thanks, it's not in the same series with the SX-1980, but it's predecessor by 12 years. This is a 1968 receiver, and is going to be part of a project to re-create a vintage system based on the tech of that era.

I currently have a AR-XA turntable in storage from that vintage, and am looking for a MINT pair of AR3a to complete the system. For now my vintage 70's era EPI's (also in storage) will have to do. (can't wait to hook them up!)

The FM circuit in this receiver is quite sophisticated, and several pages in the manual (the unit came with a mint copy of the manual too!) are devoted to the specs and superior attributes of the FM tuner. I can tell you that so far from what I've heard they weren't lying!

What's even more interesting is that the manual is not just a "how to hook it up" and spec sheet, but a full up design and repair manual with every circuit laid out even down to the mapping of the IC board they used for the FM. There's even complete directions on how to test and adjust the unit with an oscilloscope! Clearly this receiver was designed to last, and the prior owner saw to that with great care.

Geoffcin
02-26-2010, 02:50 AM
Sweet, looks great. thekid just got a similar Pioneer tuner. I'm sure he'll be posting here soon.

Thanks! Yeah, I periodically have to re-new my interest in HIFI with little projects like this. Hopefully it will keep me fired up for a few more months.

poppachubby
02-26-2010, 02:58 AM
For now my vintage 70's era EPI's (also in storage) will have to do. (can't wait to hook them up!)

Duuuuuuuude. They'll have to do?!? I bet those EPI's sound so sweet. I'm envious. I would love a pair of Genesis/EPI...

Geoffcin
02-26-2010, 05:40 AM
Duuuuuuuude. They'll have to do?!? I bet those EPI's sound so sweet. I'm envious. I would love a pair of Genesis/EPI...

Sorry, didn't mean to seem to dis the EPI's, it's just that I had an idea to create a system that someone could have been listening to when men walked on the moon. I'm shooting for all components to be pre-1969 vintage.

EPI's rock, but you should check out Human speakers if you've got a hankering for the old days of EPI/Genesis and don't want to deal with refurbing vintage speakers.

http://www.humanspeakers.com/

thekid
02-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Thanks, it's not in the same series with the SX-1980, but it's predecessor by 12 years. This is a 1968 receiver, and is going to be part of a project to re-create a vintage system based on the tech of that era.

Sorry mis-read your comment. I am thinking then that that is from the same as the SX-9000 that I used to own. does your use those funky Pioneer speaker connectors from that time period?

I do like your idea of putting together an entire vintage set-up from the same time period. I have tried it a couple of time but never good find a decent enough cassette deck. I like the idea of the AR3's after all how many speakers actual end up in the Smithsonian....

Geoffcin
02-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Sorry mis-read your comment. I am thinking then that that is from the same as the SX-9000 that I used to own. does your use those funky Pioneer speaker connectors from that time period?

I do like your idea of putting together an entire vintage set-up from the same time period. I have tried it a couple of time but never good find a decent enough cassette deck. I like the idea of the AR3's after all how many speakers actual end up in the Smithsonian....

Yup! The receiver uses the blade speaker terminals. Remember though that a DC coupled output will smoke the output stage if you ever cross the terminals though, so this was a safety feature. A lot more expensive than blowing a cap!

The AR3a's were, and are, one of the greatest speakers ever made. When I first heard them circa 1970 I remember being totally blown away. I really wish that I could demo a mint pair for people who drool over speakers made by the like Harbeth and Audio Note. I'm sure it would be a revelation.

JohnMichael
02-26-2010, 06:59 PM
What a beautiful classic receiver. Memories of my youth. I remember hearing a copy of Carly Simon's "Anticipation" played on a Dual/Shure combo through a Pioneer receiver into AR speakers. That combo was my first exposure to some incredible sounding music.

Geoffcin
02-26-2010, 08:15 PM
What a beautiful classic receiver. Memories of my youth. I remember hearing a copy of Carly Simon's "Anticipation" played on a Dual/Shure combo through a Pioneer receiver into AR speakers. That combo was my first exposure to some incredible sounding music.

Thanks John! Yes, it's my window into my youth also. Funny you should mention Carly too, I had such a crush on her! One of the albums my father used to campaign around to the local HIFI stores was her album "No Secrets". Back in those days if you wanted to hear the "good stuff" you had to speak the lingo and be a vetted customer. They didn't waste time on posers, We got to hear Carly on some really fine systems back then!

To make a long story short; At the time the Quad ESL's did some things better than the AR3a's, but overall NOTHING came close to the sound the AR3a's produced, including the best from England at the time. They were the speaker my father really wanted, but he settled for a pair of KLH Model 6. (Which by the way I still have!) I'm sure some Altec Lansing owners would disagree, but back then if you had some cash, lived on the East Coast and liked HIFI sound, it was the AR3a that you were lusting after.