Blu-Ray and Netflix streaming [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Blu-Ray and Netflix streaming

Mwalsdor_cscc_edu
02-25-2010, 01:11 AM
I'm in the market for my 1st Blu-Ray player and I have a question about the importance of the Netflix steaming capability. If Netflix isn't streaming in 720/1080 what's the urgency of having this function on your Blu-Ray? I realize it's handy to have instant access to Netflix but given the lower resolution doesn't that defeat the purpose of owning a Blu-Ray? Is the streaming function only available on Blu-Ray players and not standard DVD players? Will Netflix offer HD streaming in 2010 or 2011?

JStudrawa
02-25-2010, 07:21 AM
Does the Blu Ray stream the other channels? Namely Amazon, MLB, etc?

I have a Roku and it gets all that, so I was free to just get a cheaper Blu Ray.

Btw, Netflix HD stream is 720p from their blog.

Looks like it's coming to the Wii too..

"This is Greg Peters, VP of product development at Netflix and we’ve got good news for fans of the Wii! We are excited to announce that you will soon be able to instantly watch movies and TV episodes on your TV via your Wii console. The Wii is about to join the ever expanding roster of Netflix ready devices that allow Netflix members on any unlimited plan to be able to stream movies and TV episodes whenever they want, as much as they want, all included in their current subscription. If you are a Netflix member, have a broadband Internet connection and a Nintendo Wii then you will be able to instantly watch thousands of movies and TV episodes starting this spring on your Wii! "

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-25-2010, 09:12 AM
I'm in the market for my 1st Blu-Ray player and I have a question about the importance of the Netflix steaming capability. If Netflix isn't streaming in 720/1080 what's the urgency of having this function on your Blu-Ray? I realize it's handy to have instant access to Netflix but given the lower resolution doesn't that defeat the purpose of owning a Blu-Ray? Is the streaming function only available on Blu-Ray players and not standard DVD players? Will Netflix offer HD streaming in 2010 or 2011?

Let's take these questions one at a time.

If Netflix isn't streaming in 720/1080 what's the urgency of having this function on your Blu-Ray?

It adds value to the player plain and simple. The more bells and whistles a player has (netflix, Amazon, Youtube, Pandora) the more it adds value to the player itself. By adding streaming capability, you make the Blu ray player the center of your entire system. You have a player that can play DVD's, Blu rays, streams music, and movies not available to Blu ray yet, or that you don't already own (that is very difficult for me).

I realize it's handy to have instant access to Netflix but given the lower resolution doesn't that defeat the purpose of owning a Blu-Ray?

I do not know about anyone else, but most of the movies that I have streamed I really didn't care about the quality(of which some was never that good in the first place), I really cared about the content more(story line, good acting etc). One thing I have discovered with streaming is that it looks better on a Plasma than it does on a LCD panel. That is for sure. Many of the titles I have streamed didn't look that much better on DVD. It really boils down to the size of your streaming pipeline. The bigger your pipe (faster connection) the better streaming looks, and the more stable it behaves during playback. With a 12mbps connection, I get just below DVD quality, but the audio sounds very bit starved to my ears.

Is the streaming function only available on Blu-Ray players and not standard DVD players?

This is correct. DVD is an outgoing product, so there is no need to add chipsets to enable this on that platform. They are almost at giveaway prices, so adding this capability would just create more losses on each player. Quite a few manufacturers will be discontinuing DVD production within the next few years anyway. Blu ray players play DVD's as well, so there is no need to continue feeding losses on each player to your bottom line.

BadAssJazz
02-25-2010, 10:07 AM

Back in 2008 when I first researched their streaming capabilities, Netflix was only streaming about 400 or so movies at 720p. I'm sure by now that number has grown. I don't think you have to worry about video quality, especially with newer releases.

The real issue with Netflix streaming is the audio. While they are working on ways to enable multichannel streams, Netflix presently streams audio only in stereo (2 channel). I'm sure either your TV or AVR is likely equipped with a sound field that mimics surround sound, but if you want the real deal, skip streaming and wait for the DVD/Blu Ray to arrive via snail mail. (I'm not saying Netflix isn't working on a solution to deliver multichannel streaming in the future, they just haven't realized a solution yet...and when they do, it's possible that you'll have to upgrade your component.)

As far as "urgency" goes, I view it as a convenience feature. If you simply can't wait to get the DVD/Blu Ray rental in your grubby mitts, streaming is a nice feature. Fortunately, it's not a must-have for me. If I were to put a movie in my queue before 8am today, Netflix usually ships it out first thing, and I'd get it tomorrow.

Mwalsdor_cscc_edu
02-25-2010, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I have a Panasonic TC-P50X1 plasma with a Denon ARV-590. I can get a Panasonic BMP-60K for $99 locally. It doesn't have Netflix but I personally don't have a screaming urge to have 10 zillions titles at my beck-n-call. I rarely watch moves as is. Perhaps with the higher rez I will do more. BAJazz, I see you're usng Silverline speakers - nice. I don't have nything that nice for videro duty but do have their original "Avalon" Sonatina's in my SET based 2-channel system.