Do you believe me? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe me?

Tarheel_
02-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Since i joined this site in 1999, I've learned a lot about HT from some very knowledgeable people (thank you)! Since that time I've built a very nice HT in my basement. It's about 24Lx15W with a 720p projector.
It's a 7.1 setup with Revel speakers anchoring the front array. I always believed in audio first/video second.

Over the years, I've owned quite a few AVRs....between them I've used a budget receiver to get me through to the next purchase. A stop gap if you will.

Over time I've come to the conclusion that each AVR stands on its' own merits. Meaning, no matter what they cost or the specs they claim, sound is king.

Here is a list of them in order and the overall winner. Please don't laugh.

- Denon 2801 (with/ without NAD 218 THX amp) a monster amp
- HK AVR 525 (with/ without Rotel 3 channel amp...can't remember the model)
- Marantz 5600 (very nice receiver) See my review on this site.
- Marantz SR-5003 (HDMI worthy, but sounded stale) (with/without 5 channel Rotel amp)
- another HK AVR 525 (loved this amp and got it cheap on ebay) My current AVR.

Winner:
Sherwood RD-7500
This is a 24lb lightweight 6.1 surround receiver. Spring loaded speaker clips and no HDMI. Heck, it has one optical/ one coaxial connector. It was on sale at CCity years ago for $112.00. Retailed for a bit more, but i cannot explain it.

I've even played this receiver on my boat dock with no walls and it sounded great with my small Polks.

I'm not a Sherwood fan boy, it's not about that.... it's an example that receivers do sound different and price/specs are not the end all/be all. I hope this provides some folks the will to evaluate receivers based on sound and not internet reviews.

Greg

dakatabg
02-24-2010, 08:36 PM
I have learned a lot of stuff here to and thats why I am here every day!

I am surprised form all brands like Marantz, Harman Kardon and Denon you ended up with the Sherwood receiver as a winner.

harley .guy07
02-24-2010, 11:36 PM
Its not uncommon for some lower priced components to be much better sounding than one would think. It might have something to do with the fact that there is much less circuitry in that unit to disturb the purity of the information run through this unit. I am not a Sherwood fan either as they have made some components in the past that have been of poor quality and they seem to skimp in areas that most quality components do not and it is a surprise that you would find this unit being better in sound quality to some of the components that you mentioned above. I have seen people to find some affordable separates over more expensive exotic stuff but to see a receiver that is at the low end budget price level seems a little to good to be true but sometimes people will find a component that sounds the way they like their sound to be and it does not cost a lot. I have heard a few Sherwood components and there have been a couple that have sounded pretty good but I have not heard one that would better the likes of Denon,HK, or marantz in my opinion but that is why so many products exist is because everyone has a different sense of what sounds good and every persons ears perceive sound differently.

Worf101
02-25-2010, 05:02 AM
The same thing happens in other arenas as well... particularly with musical instruments. I'm a bass player by trade and I've owned/played some pretty high priced axes over the year, including mid 60's Fenders and Gibson as well as some offerings from Alembic, Pedulla and Smith. Generally they are all "fine" instruments and you usually get what you pay for but sometimes you you'll run across an offering from a second or third tier instrument maker that, quite simply, is far superior either in sound or feel to stuff costing 10 times as much. It's not logical but it's often true.

Worf

02audionoob
02-25-2010, 06:05 AM
From what I can see, the Sherwood receivers aren't that cheap. The RD-8500 was $500 list. Seems like if they're not going to have the latest features, they ought to at least sound good. I have a Sherwood AV receiver that I picked up on CL for $30...no idea at the moment what model...and I'd say its sound quality is decent enough.

Tarheel_
02-25-2010, 07:03 AM
I can't explain it...but i've rotated this little receiver a few times over the years and i keep coming back to the same conclusion.

It does a surprisingly good job of powering them at low to mid volume. Of course at higher volumes the sound begins to loosen. My front array is 6ohm so they like power.

Guess this goes to show you a name doesn't equate to good sound.

Just rambling here....the NAD sounded terrible with my setup...cold and harsh. Sold it within a month or so. The Rotels sounded really nice, but just didn't mesh well. Hard to describe.

My Revel dealer also sells Lexicon and Theta as well as Marantz so i've demoed alot of his eq over the years and so I've been saving for years (more like lusting) for a big 'ol Theta Dreadnaught 7 channel amp. I'm sure that will make me forget all about the little receiver that could. lol

Tarheel_
02-25-2010, 07:07 AM
From what I can see, the Sherwood receivers aren't that cheap. The RD-8500 was $500 list. Seems like if they're not going to have the latest features, they ought to at least sound good. I have a Sherwood AV receiver that I picked up on CL for $30...no idea at the moment what model...and I'd say its sound quality is decent enough.

Sherwood has a higher end line called Sherwood Newcastle. They are steered for more of the audiophile level listener. Haven't heard them personally, but i bet they sound great.