what receiver to get? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : what receiver to get?

andycc
02-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Hi,

I'm new to home audio in general. I'm going to purchase the following JBL speakers:

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-CS480BG-Complete-6-Piece-Theater/product-reviews/B000O7N4IE/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

And I'm looking for a receiver that will work well with these speakers, but I don't know what to look for. Should I get a 5.1 or 7.1 receiver? What is a good brand?

These are the 2 receivers I was looking at:
5.1:
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR590-5-1-Channel-Receiver-Connectivity/dp/B002AKKFQM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267048870&sr=1-3

7.1:
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR790-7-1-Channel-Multi-Zone-Connectivity/dp/B002AKKFQW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267048870&sr=1-5

Any suggestions? Thanks!

02audionoob
02-24-2010, 02:13 PM
This place has good deals on Onkyo refurbs that seem to have more-current features for the buck than most.

http://www.accessories4less.com/index.php?page=search&search_query=tx-sr

JStudrawa
02-25-2010, 08:03 AM
Impressive prices when comparing the Denon. Thanks for that link.

pixelthis
02-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Hi,

I'm new to home audio in general. I'm going to purchase the following JBL speakers:

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-CS480BG-Complete-6-Piece-Theater/product-reviews/B000O7N4IE/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

And I'm looking for a receiver that will work well with these speakers, but I don't know what to look for. Should I get a 5.1 or 7.1 receiver? What is a good brand?

These are the 2 receivers I was looking at:
5.1:
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR590-5-1-Channel-Receiver-Connectivity/dp/B002AKKFQM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267048870&sr=1-3

7.1:
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR790-7-1-Channel-Multi-Zone-Connectivity/dp/B002AKKFQW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267048870&sr=1-5

Any suggestions? Thanks!

7.1 is overkill, totally unnessesary.:1:

audio amateur
02-25-2010, 02:07 PM
7.1 is overkill, totally unnessesary.:1:
Not if you have large room, or a dedicated HT room in your house..

andycc
02-25-2010, 04:09 PM
i guess i'm wondering if there what the pros are for the 7.1

Is the only difference the 2 additional channels? and if yes, is it worth it for me to get the 7.1 just to power that mid range speaker (the speakers have 4 sattelites, 1 sub, 1 midrange)?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-25-2010, 06:15 PM

Is the only difference the 2 additional channels? and if yes, is it worth it for me to get the 7.1 just to power that mid range speaker (the speakers have 4 sattelites, 1 sub, 1 midrange)?

I would always go for the 7.1 unless it is a noticeable step down to a good 5.1 channel receiver. A 7.1 receiver can playback all of the 64 7.1 Dts and 36 7.1 Dolby TrueHD Blu ray soundtracks that are out there - a 5.1 receiver cannot. If you want a deeper rear soundfield, then go for the 7.1 receiver. If you couch or listening position is against the rear wall, then a 5.1 is your only choice.

andycc
02-25-2010, 06:39 PM
If you want a deeper rear soundfield, then go for the 7.1 receiver. If you couch or listening position is against the rear wall, then a 5.1 is your only choice.

Can you please clarify what you mean by this? My couch is indeed against the rear wall, but why does that make 5.1 my only choice?

Thanks

E-Stat
02-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Can you please clarify what you mean by this? My couch is indeed against the rear wall, but why does that make 5.1 my only choice?
Think of a theater experience. 7.1 adds surrounds to the "middle" of the room. If your listening position is at the end of the room, then there can be nothing further behind you. Ideally, the mid position surrounds would be near your listening position and the rears further behind you. That provides a three step forward-mid-rear ability to locate a signal.

rw

poppachubby
02-25-2010, 07:44 PM

Thanks

Perhaps you're unaware that Dolby has recommended placement for your speakers. There is an ideal location for each to create the proper effect. Check it out...

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/speaker-setup-guide/index.html

02-25-2010, 08:29 PM

Thanks

In order for 7.1 to be effective, you must have at least 3ft behind your listening seat. If your couch is up against the wall, then you do not have the necessary 3ft to make it most effective. Some people have tried in ceiling speakers for the rear wall surrounds, but that to me sounds like things are coming from above you, and not behind you. 3ft is my recommended minimum, as you can add delay to further add distance to the rear surround.

pixelthis
02-26-2010, 12:21 PM

Those two additional channels are actually one channel, two back center
speakers, one on top of another.
Just my experience, While there was a slight effect on some material, mostly it wasnt worth the effort of wiring and mounting two speakers in the back.
Some modern receivers allow you to use those two channels for bi-amping, which
I did on my new receiver for awhile, until I ADDED AN OUTBOARD AMP.
This is a lot more effective way to use those two extra amps.
Of course your speakers have to have two inputs on the back.:1:

02-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Those two additional channels are actually one channel, two back center
speakers, one on top of another.
Just my experience, While there was a slight effect on some material, mostly it wasnt worth the effort of wiring and mounting two speakers in the back.
Some modern receivers allow you to use those two channels for bi-amping, which
I did on my new receiver for awhile, until I ADDED AN OUTBOARD AMP.
This is a lot more effective way to use those two extra amps.
Of course your speakers have to have two inputs on the back.:1:

No Pixel, you are wrong AGAIN(damn!!!)

The two rear channels are discrete and seperate, not one channel. If it was just one channel then prologic IIx would not work. It REQUIRES two seperate channels to function. Dts HD Master Audio 7.1 and Dolby TrueHD 7.1 would not function correctly as well. They REQUIRE to discrete rear channels to function.

Your comment applies to Dts ES matrix and Dolby Digital EX ONLY.

Before you respond, make sure you know what you are talking about. If you take this advice, we will probably hear less from you.

pixelthis
02-28-2010, 06:50 PM
No Pixel, you are wrong AGAIN(damn!!!)

The two rear channels are discrete and seperate, not one channel. If it was just one channel then prologic IIx would not work. It REQUIRES two seperate channels to function. Dts HD Master Audio 7.1 and Dolby TrueHD 7.1 would not function correctly as well. They REQUIRE to discrete rear channels to function.

Your comment applies to Dts ES matrix and Dolby Digital EX ONLY.

Before you respond, make sure you know what you are talking about. If you take this advice, we will probably hear less from you.

Well, gee, I will be sending an angry email to Integra Research, because of course
you are right and they are wrong.
My instructions say to use surround back left if just using one back speaker,
So I guess the information in the surround back right is lost.
In other words you are mistaken, I am talking about surround back channels,
not the surround rear channels, which are of course discrete seperate channels.
And some may like the ambience they provide, but I found them a waste of time, really.
Next time actually read what I write before you stick your foot in your mouth.
Of course I know that surround rear and right are different, thats HT 101, and thats not what I am talking about.
I am talking about the back center channels, which are totally useless, IMHO.:1: