'Nother round of recent rentals! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 'Nother round of recent rentals!

Kam
02-24-2010, 09:25 AM
Surrogates: Skip it. Low on action, low on drama, low on sci, low on fi. I'm a Bruce Willis fan and love scifi, and even going into it with low expectations my expectations were not met.

Hurt Locker: I'm with Worf on this one, might be a case of everyone's afraid to say something bad about it when others have already praised it. And, knowing very little about EOD's, I would not have had a problem with the flagrant way this guy went about his work, if not for the fact that the filmmakers/everyone went on record to say they wanted it to be as realistic as possible as to the life these guys are in performing this work over there. That being said, my level of 'suspension of belief' is very low, and given it's 'award history' already, i was expecting a lot. The performances are all fantastic, it's just the circumstances and the story that's not very believable. AND... even if it's true and this guy is some hotshot, eschews all the rules, rebel- type, then at least have one scene where he gets reprimanded. Where was that? The Sr. officer coming in and calling him a wildman? Sorry, unbelievable.

Gamer: The behind the scenes making of is more fun to watch than the film itself. By the guys who did Crank, so if you're expecting any more, don't. Expect less and you'll get just that. I like Gerard Butler and he's pretty stunted by his character/script, doesn't have much to do, so he does that. If you like behind the scenes stuff though, the BTS on the dvd is fantastic.

Knowing: I'm not the biggest fan of Cage, but he doesn't detract anything for me either, so I thoroughly enjoyed this movie way more than I thought I would. Can't say much other than the ending really makes the movie. Not the very ending (last minute) but the build up to that, I thought was very well done and a little risque.

Carriers: Fun end-of-the-world-deadly-virus movie. If you like this genre, definitely worth checking out. Has the kid who played Kirk in Star Trek, and he's really good as an *******-hero in this.

Alien Raiders: A little too much on the low-budget side, but a fun low-budget indie alien thriller. Good fun to get in to if you can look past the low-budget effects. A group goes into a grocery store and takes everyone hostage, executing random people... or so it seems.... dun dun DUN!!! Watch and see the real story unfold...

Pandorum: Meh. Already stoked for another fun space-thriller, this one was mildly dissapointing. It has a few moments, but just tried to be too clever for its own good, and just annoyed me at the end. Had some good ideas, but then just didn't flesh them out enough, instead going more for an "Alien" feel, and just didn't hit.

A Perfect Getaway: Very enjoyable! Definitely reccomend this fun thriller with Steve Zahn, Milla Jovovich, Timothy Olyphint, and Kiele Sanchez (Lost fans will remember her). Interesting twists and turns in the story that will make you go back and rethink scenes. Don't want to give away too much but is a fun movie!

Triangle: This one is tough to review without giving away what's going on. Although you figure out what's going on pretty early on, it's still worth watching. Don't read anything about it, just rent it, and watch it. It basically, almost completely rips off the story-device of another movie, which I loved, and which came out before. So it's tough to say this production didn't know about it, when they used the story-device identically. Can't say the film, otherwise it would give the whole thing away. But... it's such an interesting device that it works here as well and is worth watching just for the discussion that'll ensue after.

:D

-K

nightflier
02-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Kam, you seem to be a Sci-Fi fan. I'm going to have to read more of your posts. Just out of curiosity, how was the surround sound on these?

Kam
02-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Kam, you seem to be a Sci-Fi fan. I'm going to have to read more of your posts. Just out of curiosity, how was the surround sound on these?

Of all of them, Knowing stands out in my memory for the sound as well as effects. Knowing had a fantastic mix. there are a few massive action sequences, and the sound design on them completely aided in the effects. The bass is very powerful but also needs to be given what is going on and the camera/characters close proximity to the action. The surround channels got some good workouts in there as well.

And actually Hurt Locker's sound design and mix was excellent as well. The opening scene explosion was really something else, and the sniper scene, could really feel the bullets whizzing by.

Worf101
02-25-2010, 05:59 AM
(Worf whistles to himself as he reads Kam's post, updates Netflix queue, read Kam's post... updates Netflix queue...) Rinse and repeat Bud. I love it when folks recommend movies I've not even heard of before much less seen. Thanks!!!!!

Worf