Initial SACD DVD-A playlist [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Initial SACD DVD-A playlist

rakeford
02-23-2010, 07:53 PM
I just ordered a Yamaha DVD-S2700 (CD/SACD/DVD player). I need some new music to go with it. At first, I'm trying not to duplicate music I already have.

I listen to Rock & Roll mostly, but I also do blues, jazz and international (like Wynton Marsalis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winton_Marsalis), Inti Illimani (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inti-Illimani)).

Here's my initial acquisiton list. What do you think?

Brothers in Arms
Dire Straits
Super Audio CD - Canadian Import

The Dark Side of the Moon [SACD]
Pink Floyd
Super Audio CD - SACD Hybrid

Brain Salad Surgery [Deluxe Edition]
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Super Audio CD - SACD Hybrid / Special Edition

461 Ocean Boulevard [Hybrid SACD]
Eric Clapton

Willy and the Poor Boys
Creedence Clearwater Revival

Gaucho
Steely Dan
DVD Audio
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Swish
02-24-2010, 06:16 AM
...go through the same process of dredging up dated and overplayed material. I have no desire to hear Dire Straits or DSOTM except on rare occasion, so I'm not going to shell out money on new formats of old material. If you enjoy regularly listening to stuff that's 20 or more years old, have at it brother, but I'm not buying. I realize nobody is going to release the latest Pinback or Wilco on SACD, but that's something I would buy.

Swish

Luvin Da Blues
02-24-2010, 06:41 AM
Well, IMO after bands like Pimpleback and Wimpco are long forgotten people will still be listening to the classic albums. Why? Because they have "Staying Power" due to the strength of the material and musicality. I've heard very few overly compressed, bland, mundane newer recordings that could hold a candle to those listed by the OP.

Swish
02-24-2010, 06:47 AM
Well, IMO after bands like Pimpleback and Wimpco are long forgotten people will still be listening to the classic albums. Why? Because they have "Staying Power" due to the strength of the material and musicality. I've heard very few overly compressed, bland, mundane newer recordings that could hold a candle to those listed by the OP.

I was saying that newer bands with a limited fan base wouldn't be chosen for something like SACD or DVD Audio because they don't sell enough records, so you are basically agreeing with me on that issue.

Wilco, however, is doing quite well and selling out mid-sized venues in minutes. Too bad you don't like them, but I'm guessing you've only heard a few things and dismissed them. Tweedy is borderline genius with his song writing skills, and Nels Cline is one of the most talented guitarists you are likely to hear. I've seen them twice and would see them again in a heartbeat if I could get tickets.

Swishdaddy

Luvin Da Blues
02-24-2010, 06:59 AM
I hope we can keep this all in good fun between the old guard and the new guard.....

I was saying that newer bands with a limited fan base wouldn't be chosen for something like SACD or DVD Audio because they don't sell enough records, so you are basically agreeing with me on that issue. OK

Wilco, however, is doing quite well and selling out mid-sized venues in minutes. the OPs listed bands would sell out huge stadiums in minutes in their day Too bad you don't like them, but I'm guessing you've only heard a few things and dismissed them. You do have me there, but there is so much stuff out there I like that I will never have time to get to. Tweedy is borderline genius with his song writing skills, and Nels Cline is one of the most talented guitarists you are likely to hear I doubt it, I like axe men like Jeff Beck, Robin Trower, Roy Buchanan, Rory Gallagher etc.. I've seen them twice and would see them again in a heartbeat if I could get tickets.

Swishdaddy

Swish
02-24-2010, 12:23 PM
I hope we can keep this all in good fun between the old guard and the new guard.....

I've been playing since I was 12 and have seen many fine players. I happen to like Jeff Beck a lot, but believe me when I tell you that Nels Cline is freakin' amazing. He's not your run-o-the-mill rocker either. He's played with jazz people like Charlie Haden, with puck bassist Mike Watt, Willie Nelson, the Geraldine Fibbers, and many others. He's 54 but you would never know it when you see and hear him. While I won't say he's in a league of his own, he is near the top of the charts. Trust me on that.

Luvin Da Blues
02-24-2010, 12:29 PM
I've been playing since I was 12 and have seen many fine players. I happen to like Jeff Beck a lot, but believe me when I tell you that Nels Cline is freakin' amazing. He's not your run-o-the-mill rocker either. He's played with jazz people like Charlie Haden, with puck bassist Mike Watt, Willie Nelson, the Geraldine Fibbers, and many others. He's 54 but you would never know it when you see and hear him. While I won't say he's in a league of his own, he is near the top of the charts. Trust me on that.

Well then Swish, based on your recs,I promise to honestly give these guys a serious listen. Cheerio

Slosh
02-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Pinback and Wilco albums are very nicely recorded too. If you want hi-rez buy 'em on LP. Both bands have plenty of staying power.

The Police, Beck, Stink Floyd, etc. were once new and trendy . . .

Luvin Da Blues
02-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Pinback and Wilco albums are very nicely recorded too.

Pretty much a must 'round these parts.

If you want hi-rez buy 'em on LP.

Thanks for the heads up. Anything in particular I should look for?

Tru 'nuff. Sans a couple of efforts I never was a Sting fan and I've been bored with PF for quite awhile now.

rakeford
02-24-2010, 08:13 PM
I just ordered a Yamaha DVD-S2700 (CD/SACD/DVD player).
Here's my initial acquisiton list. What do you think?

Brothers in Arms
Dire Straits
Super Audio CD - Canadian Import

The Dark Side of the Moon [SACD]
Pink Floyd

Brain Salad Surgery [Deluxe Edition]
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Super Audio CD - SACD Hybrid / Special Edition

461 Ocean Boulevard [Hybrid SACD]
Eric Clapton

Willy and the Poor Boys
Creedence Clearwater Revival

Gaucho
Steely Dan
DVD Audio
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
I bought the whole list today. Mybe you can help pick my next round of SACD and\or DVD-Audio.

I'm thinkin' some blues- Coltran, Miles Davis, or perhap Ray Charles.

poppachubby
02-25-2010, 03:05 AM
I'd have to say try at least one jazz album. They're already so superior in terms of recording and fidelity, SACD must be a real trip. Surely Coltrane's S/T, Blue Train or Giant Steps are in SACD...

...I've thought about SACD as my H/T amp has analog inputs. I'm concerned that it's on its way out, as I keep reading those opinions everywhere I go. It's funny, I was directed to an old thread on here, 2003. In that thread the guys were talking about SACD and how it would probably overtake redbook discs, etc. Funny stuff now...

poppachubby
02-25-2010, 03:10 AM

I enjoy all the bands listed in this thread. I would have to say that there is a big difference in terms of how the industry does their business. Back when Knofler and co. were making hits, people actually bought music and ticket prices for a show were somewhat reasonable. Wilco exist in an age of downloads and overpriced venues. Also, the radio and TV won't support a "cool" band like Wilco when they can play Nickleback or Britney Spears or whatever. Shame really...

rakeford
02-25-2010, 04:03 AM
I'd have to say try at least one jazz album. They're already so superior in terms of recording and fidelity, SACD must be a real trip. Surely Coltrane's S/T, Blue Train or Giant Steps are in SACD...

...I've thought about SACD as my H/T amp has analog inputs. I'm concerned that it's on its way out, as I keep reading those opinions everywhere I go. It's funny, I was directed to an old thread on here, 2003. In that thread the guys were talking about SACD and how it would probably overtake redbook discs, etc. Funny stuff now...

Hey, great. Can you give us the link on the old thread?

Ya know you can get the Yamaha DVD-S1800 for $80 (http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-DVD-S1800BL-1080p-Upconverting-Player/dp/B000WKTG76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267099197&sr=1-1). I almost bought the DVD-S2700 and the DVD-S1800 because the 1800 is so cheap.

Just pull the trigger pappaC. :23:

poppachubby
02-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Hey, great. Can you give us the link on the old thread?

Ya know you can get the Yamaha DVD-S1800 for $80 (http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-DVD-S1800BL-1080p-Upconverting-Player/dp/B000WKTG76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267099197&sr=1-1). I almost bought the DVD-S2700 and the DVD-S1800 because the 1800 is so cheap.

Just pull the trigger pappaC. :23:

I probably should after all the hoopla around here. The thing is, I'm not really a digital guy. I wouldn't be able to spend so much money for SACD's, I would rather buy vinyl.

The other problem is, I've been hemmoraging money into this hobby like no tommorrow lately...my wife also has a trigger that she will pull. I joke, but honestly I'm "saving" for a used Ariston RD11s.

rakeford
02-25-2010, 02:25 PM
I probably should after all the hoopla around here. The thing is, I'm not really a digital guy. I wouldn't be able to spend so much money for SACD's, I would rather buy vinyl.

The other problem is, I've been hemmoraging money into this hobby like no tommorrow lately...my wife also has a trigger that she will pull. I joke, but honestly I'm "saving" for a used Ariston RD11s.

Er.. ah.. let's see... ah...

$80 DVD-S1800
$20 PF DSOTM (SACD Hybird) + play many times over
$100 total cost

Less than the cost (for two) of the Pink Floyd tribute band I'm going to see tonight.

Hey no pressure here. We're :cool: .

poppachubby
02-25-2010, 05:14 PM
No exactly, for you the value is there. For me it wouldn't be, even at the low price point.

rakeford
02-26-2010, 06:38 AM
OK pappaC, I'll stop hounding you about SACD. Let me know when your ready. I've been lookin' at the players pretty hard the last few weeks.

But hey, LOOK what I just found. :yikes:

ray charles- genius loves company

CONCORD RECORD SACD-1033-6

in SUPER AUDIO CD, Direct Stream Digital, Stereo Multi-ch, SURROUND, enahanced CD.

I better go though the rack to see what I have. :rolleyes5:

Swish
02-26-2010, 07:24 AM
Pinback and Wilco albums are very nicely recorded too. If you want hi-rez buy 'em on LP. Both bands have plenty of staying power.

...but will after my new HT room is set up, and that's not going to be anytime soon. Now that we're settled into our new digs, we're getting ready to install some hardwood floors and then do some painting as the white walls aren't doing it for us. That will keep me busy for the next few months, so I can't turn my attention to the basement until I got that going.

poppachubby
02-26-2010, 09:51 AM
OK pappaC, I'll stop hounding you about SACD. Let me know when your ready. I've been lookin' at the players pretty hard the last few weeks.

But hey, LOOK what I just found. :yikes:

ray charles- genius loves company

CONCORD RECORD SACD-1033-6

in SUPER AUDIO CD, Direct Stream Digital, Stereo Multi-ch, SURROUND, enahanced CD.

I better go though the rack to see what I have. :rolleyes5:

Look in the digital forum and read my thread regarding TDA 1541/1543. After much research I stumbled onto something quite interesting. My digital needs are more than satisfied right now. I am presently tweaking my newest aquisition, the Realistic R-8000. I am using a Stevenson protractor for the first time.

rakeford
02-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Look in the digital forum and read my thread regarding TDA 1541/1543. After much research I stumbled onto something quite interesting. My digital needs are more than satisfied right now.
Yeah I saw that. I may have to go back and study it some more.

I am presently tweaking my newest aquisition, the Realistic R-8000. I am using a Stevenson protractor for the first time.
You got thread on this? I'm Realistic Ori (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ori_(Stargate)) ya know! ;)

Ori - The mean original dudes on Star Gate SG1.