Audio out from TV [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Audio out from TV

ajeetp
02-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Hello AV experts - This is my first post. I just moved to a house where stereo pre-wiring (6.1 channel and HDMI connectivity) has been done. I have standard cable (no digital cable box) and I am using Sony W series LCD TV. I have Yamaha 765 receiver. All my connections work fine, watching TV, DVD etc, through HDMI. I am having dilema how to send the audio output from my TV to the Yamaha receiver. I can't connect RCA (audio out) from TV because of distance of TV from receiver, which is about 30 ft. Is there any way i can use same HDMI connection from TV to receiver? Please help.

thanks,
Ajeet

Glen B
02-23-2010, 07:41 PM
Whether you use analog connections or HDMI, you still have the issue of having to run cables. The other option is wireless. You could run balanced cables between the TV and receiver, and use balanced converters on each end for noise reduction. A pair of cables could easily be routed between TV and receiver. I run a pair of 20ft shielded RCA cables under a large area rug between a PC and HT/secondary 2-channel system, and have no noise issues.

Converters: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/555-8485

Poultrygeist
03-02-2010, 02:59 AM
You can buy cheap but good quality RCA cables in long lengths from Monoprice.

nightflier
03-02-2010, 11:10 AM
30 feet should be fine for RCA. If you don't want to run thick cables or it's a distance problem, then you can also use a balun to convert RCA to RJ45, which then uses an inexpensive network cable to carry the sound:

ETS Stereo Analog Audio RCA to RJ45 Balun (http://sewelldirect.com/ETS-Stereo-Analog-RCA-to-RJ45-Balun.asp)

Mr Peabody
03-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Although HDMI allows two units to communicate the main flow is only one way, your TV will not send a signal to the receiver via HDMI. Some TV's have a coaxial or optical audio out you might use but that will be only two channel as well so you might as well just use RCA cables. If you watch any HD content I'd spring for the box and get 5.1 audio. Radio Shack sells a gadget for about $99.00 that will allow you to send a two channel signal from TV to receiver wireless but I have no idea how good it works.