Why No Remote Power-Off On CD Player/Changers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Why No Remote Power-Off On CD Player/Changers

davidm52
02-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Just found your forum. I have tons of questions but only one for today.

Can someone explain why most of the new model home CD Player/Changers have no remote power off feature?
Every reason I think of just doesn't make any sense.
1) Cost - Every DVD player has the feature. Even a $39 model.
2) It's Too Hard - No. See #1.
3) It screws with the sound quality - That don't make no sense.
4) We forgot - Doh!

Glen B
02-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Because it makes no practical sense ? You do remove the last CD you play before turning the CD player off, right ? While you're standing there all you have to do is reach for the power button and turn the player off. Summary: Remote turn off not necessary.

davidm52
02-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Hmmm...and wouldn't the same logic apply to your BluRay DVD player?
As, I mentioned, every DVD player that I've seen has a remote power-off feature. Why the departure with those two very similar appliances?

Worf101
02-24-2010, 08:19 AM
My current Onkyo CD carosel has an on/off button as does my Oppo BluRay player.... so your point is?

Worf

Hyfi
02-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Most Audiophiles leave all their equipment running all the time. Others use a power center, like myself to turn on and off all related equipment. My Rotel CDP does not have on off remote but my cheap Denon DVDP does, including just hitting the open/close button from an off state.

Now, I wish all that was the least of my troubles with remotes. My preamp has no remote at all and I have to get up and manually change not just one, but two separate volume knobs every time I need to adjust the levels.

nightflier
02-24-2010, 11:26 AM
The better changers will have 12v triggers and/or serial ports, since they are typically part of a larger system. But on the low-end they don't (my old Onkyo changer doesn't have it either).

E-Stat
02-24-2010, 05:33 PM
3) It screws with the sound quality - That don't make no sense.

It is true that with the quality of a $39 player the difference results in a "who cares" question. With my $3k player, however, I find the difference warrants leaving it powered up 24/7. Coincidentally, the power switch is found on the back of the unit. A remote control of a high quality power switch would involve a significant expense.

rw

davidm52
02-24-2010, 07:20 PM
My current Onkyo CD carosel has an on/off button as does my Oppo BluRay player.... so your point is?

Worf
The point I was making was that essentially 100% of DVD players have power buttons on the remotes. (I'm not familiar with the super high end models)
But, on CD players it seems to be all over the map and I was trying to understand the product design logic behind this.

Leaving equipment powered on 24/7 I am familiar with. I've worked in the Silicon Valley computer industry for 30+ years and do troubleshooting of the firmware on many 10Gb routers and switches that cost ~$50K each. Which by the way have NO power switches, period. :smile5:

E-Stat
02-24-2010, 07:45 PM
Leaving equipment powered on 24/7 I am familiar with. I've worked in the Silicon Valley computer industry for 30+ years and do troubleshooting of the firmware on many 10Gb routers and switches that cost ~$50K each. Which by the way have NO power switches, period. :smile5:
That relates to your original point #3.

rw

Worf101
02-25-2010, 04:56 AM
The point I was making was that essentially 100% of DVD players have power buttons on the remotes. (I'm not familiar with the super high end models)
But, on CD players it seems to be all over the map and I was trying to understand the product design logic behind this.

Now I get your point. Can't shed any light on it myself but I get your point.

Dave

poppachubby
02-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Imagine the dark and backwards world I exist in. It's one of NO remotes for anything. I must manually power up, or off ALL of my gear. I must leave the womb-like comfort of my chair, and push buttons. What's even more disturbing, is I listen to vinyl primarily. I am in a nightmare davidm52, one in which I walk in circles from my chair to my gear. Please david, for the love of God help me....

E-Stat
02-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Imagine the dark and backwards world I exist in. It's one of NO remotes for anything. I must manually power up, or off ALL of my gear.
You're not alone. While I have a remote for the CDP, it does not control power - which I leave on 24/7 anyway. Power up each tube amp. Power up preamp if playing vinyl. Set gain manually whether it's the preamp or the left/right attenuators used with the CDP. Set optimum bias for each electrostatic speaker. Changing sources means swapping cables from amplifier to either attenuators or preamp.

rw

poppachubby
02-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Set optimum bias for each electrostatic speaker. Changing sources means swapping cables from amplifier to either attenuators or preamp.

rw

Yikes!

E-Stat
02-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Yikes!
It's actually a little worse than that. The preamp and CDP share the same aftermarket power cord since I never use both simultaneously. I tend to listen to vinyl or CDs in stretches so the two minute changeover process isn't so bad. I find that I need to replace the stylus on my Dynavector anyway. Which means sending the body back to the dealer for a complete swap.

rw