Floorstanding Speaker Help Please! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Floorstanding Speaker Help Please!

Vavavoomer
02-23-2010, 01:23 AM
Hi guys,

I'm after some of your superior experience and knowledge on this one.

I have recently managed to bag a set of Mourdant Short 704i floorstanders. I currently have a pair of Mission M73i floorstanders which I bought about 10 years ago.

My question is this - which speakers are the best? I will use all of these for my 5.1 surround and want to know which to pitch up front and why?

Hope you can help with this.

Thanks a lot - J.

PS: If anybody wants to make an offer for ONE MS 704i, I managed to buy a spare and have no use for it - I presume it would be perfect driven by an iPod filling a room.

Mtbrider
02-23-2010, 01:28 PM
The only relevant experience is your own! Listen to both pairs and decide for yourself.

JoeE SP9
02-23-2010, 02:07 PM
The only relevant experience is your own! Listen to both pairs and decide for yourself.

What he said.:D

If the MS speakers will be in a surround system keep all three and use them for front left, right and center. Having timbre matched speakers for the front is very important.

frenchmon
02-23-2010, 04:38 PM
IF you have 3 of the Mission M73i and you have had a pair for 10 years and decided to get a third one, then I assume you like the Missions. IF so, you have a perfect match across the front. Use the third M73i as your center if at all possible.

frenchmon

Vavavoomer
02-24-2010, 08:03 AM
You were right, of course, guys.

The MS speakers are much richer in the detail department, and any base running through them is crisp, clean and rapid.

However, the Missions can handle much more volume, and much deeper baselines, before any distortion occurs. Bi-wired, the MS speakers are like a surgeons' scalpel, while the
Missions can be something of a sledgehammer.

Overall, I would say the MS are better, but a sub would be required were you to want a real deep resonance around the room.

frenchmon
02-24-2010, 12:33 PM
You were right, of course, guys.

The MS speakers are much richer in the detail department, and any base running through them is crisp, clean and rapid.

However, the Missions can handle much more volume, and much deeper baselines, before any distortion occurs. Bi-wired, the MS speakers are like a surgeons' scalpel, while the
Missions can be something of a sledgehammer.

Overall, I would say the MS are better, but a sub would be required were you to want a real deep resonance around the room.

I would use the three MS up front and the Missions in the back....most home theaters use a sub any way so there is not a problem there. Most people would love to have 3 identical speakers across the front and towers in the rear.

frenchmon