Rocket 150's, ELT's, or Axiom m2i/M22ti for stereo use? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rocket 150's, ELT's, or Axiom m2i/M22ti for stereo use?

Jeffyu254
03-30-2004, 04:02 PM
Hello all,

I have been posting on both av123.com and axiomaudio.com for the last few days in order to find out what to buy.

Giving my girlfriend a low-powered Onkyo slimline receiver (TX-L5) and sub (Velodyne CT-100) to replace her Bose Lifestyle system. I'm intrigued by the Rockets, their finish, but wary of their purported faults (RS-150-"laid back, hollow midrange", ELT-"Harsh Treble, unrefined midrange").

I own Axiom speakers and love them, but would prefer a slightly less clinical, forward-sounding speaker that still retains vocal clarity and sparkle for her. Her musical tastes run the gamut; Dave Mathews to Tool, Natalie Merchant to Van Morrison. I hope for something that is alive and vibrant, while still being warm and not to fatiguing. Any help would be appreciated.

Mark111867
03-31-2004, 11:53 AM
Jeffyu254-

I recently bought a pair of Cambridge Soundworks Newton M-80 speakers. They are bookshelf speakers, and large for bookshelf speakers at that. I have them as a second set of speakers hooked up to a Yamaha receiver. I have also tried them with an Onkyo receiver as well. Both yielded good results. The M-80's have handled what I have thrown at them (mostly classical & folk, some classic rock) pretty well IMO. This web-site has some reviews posted for the M-80's also. They cost $399.99. They have a 45 day return period. Returns end up on e-bay, so check that out if you're interested. I think they run for $250 on ebay. Good luck!

-Mark