M-Audio Bx5a To partner Dell studio Laptop? Advice appreciated. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : M-Audio Bx5a To partner Dell studio Laptop? Advice appreciated.

norsk
02-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Hi To Everyone..:22:
From Newbie in Norway..
Hope you guys are able to advice me on a couple of things?

I know it is always difficult to advice folk on specific models? as it is down to the listener usually at the end of the day..Unfortunately in my particular case I will have no way of auditioning any of the components..so for me at least,I am reliant on user feedback & satisfaction overhaul,,,?

I have a DEL STUDIO 17-32 Bit laptop.
Have being considering active speakers for quite a while and have received some very useful feedaback and advice elswhere.

I think I have the chance to pick up a apir of Bx5s at a reasonable price here in Norway?(to be confimred) I also own a Sandisk SANSA FUSE 8GB Mp3 player.

I was also advcied to look at the AUDIOENGINE A2 & A5s...But these are a lot more expensive than the Bx5s

So my question is if I do go with the Bx5s do I require a DAC..would this improve things much above the Dell+ Bx5s combo & some good cables? I can not afford to spend money, that is not really justified...... but if there is a item which could improve things,quite a bit....then I could look at this.advice on interconnects & speaker cable appreciated I understand I require special ends for the cables to fit to my laptop?

I was told late last year that my Dell,much to my surprise, already as a good sound card ?? but I can not now remember it`s name..it could be IDT?

anyway I will look forward very much to hearing from you

all the very best

Steve :dita: :dita:

02audionoob
02-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Laptop computers run external speakers all the time. I can't see why you'd require a DAC. An external DAC could be a nice upgrade, but the computer should do fine running the BX5a speakers.

Ajani
02-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Check my signature below. I use the BX5a with my HP Laptop and am quite happy with the sound... I have also used it with my Benchmark DAC1, but I find that it sounds fine without a DAC...

As always, I recommend auditioning the BX5a if you can...

norsk
02-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Hello Guys
Great to hear from you both very much obliged to you...
You have both given the the same answer as i was given on another forum,just felt it was best to get as wider possible views on the DAC question e,t,c

it is good to know that the Bx5s will be fine with the Dell..
I am no techy ..and was told I require special cables to connect the actives to the Dell any views on thsi and better still recomendations as to good cables /interconnects e.t.c.

Can I plug my Sandisk fuse in to thsi set up? sorry if that was in anyway a dum question..I generally get my head around things? given time

all the best Steve

02audionoob
02-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Perhaps Ajani could comment on what is included in the box with the speakers. You would need a stereo mini splitter to connect to the laptop output. On the split ends, you'd need the TRS connector required at the speaker.

Ajani
02-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Perhaps Ajani could comment on what is included in the box with the speakers. You would need a stereo mini splitter to connect to the laptop output. On the split ends, you'd need the TRS connector required at the speaker.

That's exactly what I use. I use Audioquest G-Snake RCA Cables. I have an Audioquest Stereo to Mini adapter on one end (plugged into the laptop)... and I have TS adapters on the other ends that go to the speakers (you could also use RCA to Balanced Adapters on the speaker end if you like)...

Ajani
02-22-2010, 07:45 PM
Can I plug my Sandisk fuse in to thsi set up?

Yes, you can. The same RCA to Mini adapter that you plug into your laptop, can be plugged into your Sandisk Fuse...

BallinWithNash
02-22-2010, 09:24 PM
If your audio files are MP3's your sound quality is already been degraded so the sound card shouldn't effect it any more. Look at my sig and I use an external M-Audio Sound card and Polks (I know they are not active) but all my files are WAV's and when I switched to my M-Audio Sound card the sound quality was much better. It was much brighter then before and now you could actually feel and here the lows. Hope this helps ... the sound card is only like 100$ on Amazon.com (I believe)

norsk
02-23-2010, 01:01 AM
You Guys Are Briilaint
I really thank you for all the good advice I understans now about the cables situation..and wiil buy Audioquest or similar here in Norway.
Yes most of my music is Flac lossless or MP3(not much) and CDs played through drive.

I have just purchased a pair of GRADO 60 i Headphones at a good price so am very happy,to have made a start.

all the best

keep the suggestions coming

regards Steve