Friday music quiz. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Friday music quiz.

Swish
02-19-2010, 05:36 AM
I hope this one takes a long time to solve, but I'm figuring at least one of our resident geeks will get this in short order, but let's try it.

What tune, or perhaps I should use the term 'jingle', is heard more than any other world-wide, and what semi-famous person wrote it?

Let the game begin.

Rich-n-Texas
02-19-2010, 05:37 AM
A quiz usually involves asking a question doesn't it?

Slosh
02-19-2010, 05:54 AM
A quiz usually involves asking a question doesn't it?And reading comprehension too. :D

I don't know the answer but am sure I've read about it before.

Swish
02-19-2010, 06:01 AM

I fat-fingered something on my keyboard when I intended to hit enter (return) to type the question and it submitted my post before I was done, so I had to come back and edit to add the questions. Now go pester your neighbors or something. :ciappa:

ForeverAutumn
02-19-2010, 06:22 AM

True. But the answers are more fun when you just let people assume the question.

Zebra! I think the answer is Zebra!

GMichael
02-19-2010, 07:48 AM
True. But the answers are more fun when you just let people assume the question.

Zebra! I think the answer is Zebra!

You still remember that one? That was a few years ago.

Now jingle. Think jingle.. What could it be? Maybe the A.B.C. jingle (done to the same tune as Twinkle Twinkle)?

ForeverAutumn
02-19-2010, 07:55 AM

??????

GMichael
02-19-2010, 07:59 AM
??????

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=19145&highlight=Zebra

ForeverAutumn
02-19-2010, 08:04 AM
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=19145&highlight=Zebra

Oh man, that thing drove me CRAZY! I totally forgot about it actually. The Zebra answer here was just because I like Zebra's. :)

I've been trying to think of what jingle this could be...so far I'm coming up with nothing. But I'm starting to think about who would write jingles. Danny Elfman? Randy Newman?

Rich-n-Texas
02-19-2010, 08:21 AM
This is a two-part question so I'm out. :idea:

GMichael
02-19-2010, 08:29 AM
This is a two-part question so I'm out. :idea:

Try the old link.

Swish
02-19-2010, 08:40 AM

Now jingle. Think jingle.. What could it be? Maybe the A.B.C. jingle (done to the same tune as Twinkle Twinkle)?

...as the A.B.C. jingle, but keep trying.

Swish
02-19-2010, 08:41 AM
??????

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Swish
02-19-2010, 08:43 AM
Oh man, that thing drove me CRAZY! I totally forgot about it actually. The Zebra answer here was just because I like Zebra's. :)

I've been trying to think of what jingle this could be...so far I'm coming up with nothing. But I'm starting to think about who would write jingles. Danny Elfman? Randy Newman?

...delves off course. It's not either of those two and the actual writer is someone who would not be considered a jingle writer, although he's pretty well known in the music industry.

That's enough info for now.

Auricauricle
02-19-2010, 08:44 AM
No, no, no.... The answer is C

ForeverAutumn
02-19-2010, 08:56 AM
That's enough info for now.

Just riddle me this Batman...would I know the jingle here in the GWN*? 'Cause I ain't rackin' my poor overtaxed brain on this if I don't even know the damn tune.

* Great White North (which actually isn't very white at the moment).

Swish
02-19-2010, 09:29 AM
Just riddle me this Batman...would I know the jingle here in the GWN*? 'Cause I ain't rackin' my poor overtaxed brain on this if I don't even know the damn tune.

* Great White North (which actually isn't very white at the moment).

Seriously. I think many will be quite surprised when they see the answer and bang their heads on their desk or table, knowing they should have known it.

02audionoob
02-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Intel Inside

Luvin Da Blues
02-19-2010, 10:48 AM
I've read somewhere recently about the Coca-Cola jingle being one of the most known tunes....don't know the author right now tho.

GMichael
02-19-2010, 10:54 AM
Seriously. I think many will be quite surprised when they see the answer and bang their heads on their desk or table, knowing they should have known it.
I think I know the answer from your earlier clues. I remember seeing something about it a year or so ago on AI. Now all I have to do is find the right cobwebs to pull away to find the answer that is hiding somewhere inside my head.:incazzato:

GMichael
02-19-2010, 11:01 AM
I am stuck on band-aid brand cause band-aids stuck on me. by Barry Manilow.

MasterCylinder
02-19-2010, 11:36 AM
"Oh, I wish I were an Oscar Meyer weiner so everyone would be in love with me"

-- Boy George.

ForeverAutumn
02-19-2010, 11:44 AM
I am stuck on band-aid brand cause band-aids stuck on me. by Barry Manilow.

According to Wikipedia, he also wrote the State Farm Insurance "like a good neighbour" jingle.

Manilow also worked as a commercial jingle writer/singer,[8] an activity that continued well into the 1970s. He penned many of the jingles that he performed, including those for Bowlene Toilet Cleaner, State Farm Insurance ("Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there..."), Stridex acne cleanser, and Band-Aid ("I am stuck on Band-Aid, 'cause Band-Aid's stuck on me!" sang a jubilant struggling actor named John Travolta), among others. His singing-only credits include Kentucky Fried Chicken, Pepsi, Jack in the Box, Dr Pepper, and the famed McDonald's "You Deserve a Break Today" campaign.[9] Manilow won two Clio Awards in 1976 for his work for Tab and Band-Aid.[10]

It doesn't say anything about him writing about Zebras though. :(

Stone
02-19-2010, 12:39 PM
According to Wikipedia, he also wrote the State Farm Insurance "like a good neighbour" jingle.

Manilow also worked as a commercial jingle writer/singer,[8] an activity that continued well into the 1970s. He penned many of the jingles that he performed, including those for Bowlene Toilet Cleaner, State Farm Insurance ("Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there..."), Stridex acne cleanser, and Band-Aid ("I am stuck on Band-Aid, 'cause Band-Aid's stuck on me!" sang a jubilant struggling actor named John Travolta), among others. His singing-only credits include Kentucky Fried Chicken, Pepsi, Jack in the Box, Dr Pepper, and the famed McDonald's "You Deserve a Break Today" campaign.[9] Manilow won two Clio Awards in 1976 for his work for Tab and Band-Aid.[10]

It doesn't say anything about him writing about Zebras though. :(

He also wrote the American Banstand theme song, but his hit "I Write the Songs" was written by Bruce Johnston, of Beach Boys and Rip-Chords fame. Strange stuff, Maynard.

GMichael
02-19-2010, 12:44 PM
He also wrote the American Banstand theme song, but his hit "I Write the Songs" was written by Bruce Johnston, of Beach Boys and Rip-Chords fame. Strange stuff, Maynard.

You mean,:eek6: he didn't write the songs that make young girls cry?:sad:

Swish
02-19-2010, 01:39 PM
Intel Inside

...or may just be on something, I can't tell which. Keep in mind, however, that this is a two-part question.

bobsticks
02-19-2010, 01:58 PM
"Won't Get Fooled Again" by the frizzy-haired jackalope and the dude with the laptop with all the viruses...

02audionoob
02-19-2010, 02:22 PM
...or may just be on something, I can't tell which. Keep in mind, however, that this is a two-part question.

OK, then...The Intel Inside mini-jingle by Walter Werzowa.

ForeverAutumn
02-19-2010, 02:53 PM
So the Band-aid/Manilow answer is wrong? Because it fits the question.

Auricauricle
02-20-2010, 11:36 AM
My head hurts... :cryin:

thekid
02-20-2010, 12:02 PM
The McDonald's theme song/jingle "I'm Lovin It" produced by the Neptunes?????

Auricauricle
02-20-2010, 01:07 PM
The Firestick Song by an anonymous caveman...?

"You put your firestick in, you take your firestick out
You put your firestick in and you twist it all about..."

Those campfire songs never leave ya, you know?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_iEUxKIdIjYs/Spa7jrqr9MI/AAAAAAAABbg/GWzu7-xrXQ4/s400/Zog%5B1%5D.png

Finch Platte
02-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Wirst thread evar

Finch Platte
02-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Wirst thread evar

Swish
02-20-2010, 06:53 PM
OK, then...The Intel Inside mini-jingle by Walter Werzowa.

...care to try again?

Swish
02-20-2010, 06:54 PM
Wirst thread evar

Yeah, thats it.

Swish
02-20-2010, 07:01 PM
The Windows start up song/jingle, that lasts all of 6 seconds, and it was written by Brian Eno. It was first used for Windows 95 and had been around ever since. Every time someone boots up a PC, they hear that tune, so it's the most frequently heard jingle in the world.

Swishdaddy

Auricauricle
02-20-2010, 07:15 PM
And to think how close we came to The Little Drummer Boy....

02audionoob
02-20-2010, 07:47 PM
This obviously was a pretty clever thread. Look at how many of us took a shot at it.

ForeverAutumn
02-20-2010, 08:03 PM
The Windows start up song/jingle, that lasts all of 6 seconds, and it was written by Brian Eno. It was first used for Windows 95 and had been around ever since. Every time someone boots up a PC, they hear that tune, so it's the most frequently heard jingle in the world.

Swishdaddy

Well, you can't expect a Mac user to know that. :rolleyes:

I liked the Band-Aid answer better.

thekid
02-21-2010, 03:50 AM
Congrats to Swish for a very clever quiz. I would quibble with his use of the term jingle to describe this as a jingle by its definition pertaining to advertising contains lyrics. However he did start by using the term tune and I don't think anyone here would have got it in any case.

I am now curious to know if Brian Eno gets any type of royalty whenever MS installs that on their hardware. If so I would think he would actually be closing in on Bill Gates in terms of personal wealth....... :)

Swish
02-21-2010, 07:49 AM
I am now curious to know if Brian Eno gets any type of royalty whenever MS installs that on their hardware. If so I would think he would actually be closing in on Bill Gates in terms of personal wealth....... :)

I sincerely doubt he gets any royalties at this point. Bill was too sharp to allow that to happen in perpetuity, but I'm sure he was rewarded handsomely.

Troy
02-21-2010, 09:35 AM
Well, you can't expect a Mac user to know that. :rolleyes:

Well, PC users have to reboot every 15 minutes so I guess they get to hear it a lot.

Swish
02-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Well, PC users have to reboot every 15 minutes so I guess they get to hear it a lot.

While I'm not going to get into a Mac versus PC debate, I can tell you the days of rebooting several times per day are long gone. My desktop has XP Pro and my laptop Vista, and I can't recall the last time I had to reboot during the day, with the exception of when critical software updates are installed. Back when I had 16 megs of RAM and a 256K CPU, that was commonplace, but you can't use that argument any longer. I have seen MACs run with multiple apps open and no issues, which is a bit tougher on most PCs. Other than that, I'm not so sure they have much of an edge these days.

I