Conponent video cables - 60 feet, build them myself ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Conponent video cables - 60 feet, build them myself ?

omikey
03-30-2004, 01:56 PM
I'm installing a new tv and the equipment stack will be in the closet in the back of the room. I have a need to run about 60 feet of cable to the TV ..... for the video signals I'll feed all the sources to the AVR (Denon 3805) then run a single component cable to the TV .....

I'd like to know what I need (cable type and connectors and supply source) to make this cable myself ...... any construction tips ... how to ensure a quality connection where the connectors go onto the cable ends ......... oh, by the way, I need RCA to BNC

Thanks for any help that you might be able to provide
Mikey

mtrycraft
03-30-2004, 08:51 PM
I'm installing a new tv and the equipment stack will be in the closet in the back of the room. I have a need to run about 60 feet of cable to the TV ..... for the video signals I'll feed all the sources to the AVR (Denon 3805) then run a single component cable to the TV .....

I'd like to know what I need (cable type and connectors and supply source) to make this cable myself ...... any construction tips ... how to ensure a quality connection where the connectors go onto the cable ends ......... oh, by the way, I need RCA to BNC

Thanks for any help that you might be able to provide
Mikey

Try RG6 type cable, or check out Belden for video cable with lowest loss.

omikey
03-31-2004, 10:22 AM
Try RG6 type cable, or check out Belden for video cable with lowest loss.
Thanks !!!!!!!!!

Tony_Montana
03-31-2004, 06:08 PM
You could also buy pre-assembled RG-59 Coax cable from radio shack (slightly thinner than RG-6), and terminate each end with "F to RCA" adaptor.

omikey
04-01-2004, 05:38 AM
You could also buy pre-assembled RG-59 Coax cable from radio shack (slightly thinner than RG-6), and terminate each end with "F to RCA" adaptor.
Tony - Thanks for the tip. I've shop the internet and can get a 60 footer at bluejeanscable.com for like $120 stones..... belden 1694

seems like a reasonable price to me, and I'll feel more comfortable buying manufactured cable .... I won't be as concerned about the quality of the end connector as I might be if I terminate the cables myself.
This cable is about as stiff as the RG-6 .. they do make a more flexible cable but it is different in the internal design. I'm sure it's a good cable, but I don't need the flexibility in the cable so this shouldn't be an issue as I have a lot of space to work in for routing the cable.

Thanks again,

Mikey

mtrycraft
04-01-2004, 04:31 PM
Tony - Thanks for the tip. I've shop the internet and can get a 60 footer at bluejeanscable.com for like $120 stones..... belden 1694

seems like a reasonable price to me, and I'll feel more comfortable buying manufactured cable .... I won't be as concerned about the quality of the end connector as I might be if I terminate the cables myself.
This cable is about as stiff as the RG-6 .. they do make a more flexible cable but it is different in the internal design. I'm sure it's a good cable, but I don't need the flexibility in the cable so this shouldn't be an issue as I have a lot of space to work in for routing the cable.

Thanks again,

Mikey

$120 for 3? Or each? You need 3 for component video.

omikey
04-02-2004, 04:37 AM
$120 for 3? Or each? You need 3 for component video.
Thanks for watching out for me ! I appreciate that !

Mtry - I was sure that I understood that this was the price for all three of the cables. Here's the URL where I've been getting this info:

http://bluejeanscable.com/store/component/index.htm

Belden 1694A:

(Same performance as 7710A, but comes as a set of three separate cables;
All sets, regardless of cable jacket color, come with color-coded strain relief boots)

and cost
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center bgColor=#000000 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%"><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=ppsmalltext align=middle width="8%">Qty</TD><TD class=ppsmalltext align=middle width="8%">Remove</TD><TD class=ppsmalltext align=left width="38%">Item</TD><TD class=ppsmalltext align=left width="36%">Options</TD><TD class=ppsmalltext align=middle width="10%">Price</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD align=middle width="8%"><INPUT size=1 value=1 name=q0></TD><TD align=middle width="8%"><INPUT type=checkbox value=1 name=d0></TD><TD class=ppsmalltext align=left width="38%">Component Video Cables, Belden 1694A, 60 foot </TD><TD class=ppsmalltext align=left width="36%">Connectors: RCA/BNC
Cable Color: Red/Green/Blue
</TD><TD class=ppsmalltext align=middle width="10%">$116.95 USD</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff height=20><TD class=ppsmalltext align=right colSpan=4>Shipping, tax, and handling costs will be calculated upon checkout. Amount </TD><TD class=ppsmalltext align=middle width="15%" bgColor=#ffffcc>$116.95 USD</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Another part number is this cable, which cost $197 stones and is a 3 conductor component cable in one jacket - big and less flexible:

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>The Coax: Belden 7710A or 1694A

Great component video cables, of course, begin with nothing but the best coax. We offer Belden 7710A, a three-conductor version of Belden's famous 1694A video coax, the best of the new breed of high-bandwidth precision video cables. 1694A is Belden's best--a polyethylene-dielectic cable, extremely low in capacitance, sweep-tested to 3 GHz, and shielded with a dense tinned copper braid and with Belden's "Duofoil" two-layered foil for maximum isolation from outside noise and interference. Engineered for critical digital video applications, its exceptional bandwidth and low-loss characteristics make it perfect for use in carrying component video signals, even over long distances. 7710A is simply three 1694A coaxes, colored red, green and blue, and wrapped together in a black outer jacket, making a bundle about 3/4 inch thick; it's surprisingly flexible given its size, but if you need more flexibility, you might be happier either with 1694A or with 1505F, below. We offer both 7710A component video cables and three-cable sets (black coax, colored boots) of 1694A; whichever you choose, you'll get the best component video cable performance available anywhere. View the technical specs for Belden 7710A (http://bluejeanscable.com/pages/technicaldocs/7710tech.htm) or for Belden 1694A (http://bluejeanscable.com/pages/technicaldocs/1694tech.htm)

So I thought I'd go with 3 seperate cables for flexibility to make the install easier.
</TD><TD>http://bluejeanscable.com/store/component/7710vert.jpg</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>