Best Customer service [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best Customer service

blackraven
02-17-2010, 10:37 AM
I recently Emailed Frank Van Alstine concerning tube rolling in my hybrid DAC and hybrid preamp. Frank got back to me in 12hours. I also asked him about his new Vision DAC (which is all solid state but has multiple inputs and plays hi rez music and sells for $1K) and how it compares to his tube and hybrid DAC's. His response was that it has more of a tube sound then his tube DAC's and that I could take one home for the weekend to compare to my present VA hybric DAC which sold for $1699. Now thats great customer service.

bfalls
02-18-2010, 06:20 AM
I had a firmware issue on a higher-end Sony ES series receiver (STR-DA5300ES). I called Sony support. I was given the option of taking the receiver to a local Sony authorized repair center for a free upgrade, or have it replaced. I opted for the replacement. Within two days the receiver was at my doorstep. It also came with prepaid postage to have the defective unit return shipped. The replacement worked great with only minor preference changes. I have no complaints. The fix was quick and painless.

Worf101
02-18-2010, 07:05 AM
Oppo: Answers every question I've asked within half a day. Regularly contacts me with upgrades/updates etc... values my money AND my opinion.

HSU Subwoofers: Same as above only more so. I've had my VTF-3 series 1 almost 10 years now. Not a hiccup, nary a bump. Outstanding!!!

Worf

Feanor
02-18-2010, 07:23 AM
I recently Emailed Frank Van Alstine concerning tube rolling in my hybrid DAC and hybrid preamp. Frank got back to me in 12hours. I also asked him about his new Vision DAC (which is all solid state but has multiple inputs and plays hi rez music and sells for $1K) and how it compares to his tube and hybrid DAC's. His response was that it has more of a tube sound then his tube DAC's and that I could take one home for the weekend to compare to my present VA hybric DAC which sold for $1699. Now thats great customer service.
Frank retains much of that traditional craftsman's pride and commitment, and he sees customer service is part of that ideal. This is something that is entirely absent in all large organizations; in their case the level of customer service is a deliberate cost/benefit calculation.

People in central Canada, for example, know that our leading mobile/Internet/TV content providers, Bell and Rogers, have calculated, (rightly or not), that customer service contributes very little to their bottom lines and services levels are accordingly abysmal.

blackraven
02-18-2010, 07:46 AM
Well said Feanor, Frank has a loyal following and does a lot of repeat business because he is so approachable and loves to talk audio with his customer whether it is talking on the phone, email or the Audio Circle forum. As well as offerin a great product with very good cost-benefit ratio. He offers a 30 day guaranty, will take old equipment as trade in, and offers upgrades to his existing and older equipment as they become available. He will also customize equipment if you have certain needs. One guy on the Audio Circles forum needed a higher gain on his DAC because of an older preamp and he was able to accomodate him because all orders are built as orders come in.

I know I sound like I'm pushing VA gear. There's a lot better out there but for the cost and service its tough to beat.