Avia, Sound & Vision, Digital Video Essentials, which is best? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Avia, Sound & Vision, Digital Video Essentials, which is best?

Widowmaker
03-30-2004, 01:41 PM
Hey, everyone, in my never-ending quest for optimal picture quality, I've come to a point where I'm considering buying a calibration disk. I've already used the THX Optimizer included in many DVDs to adjust my picture but I'm wondering which of the big three disks is best? Also, are they really vastly superior to the THX Optimizer? Thanks.

poneal
03-30-2004, 05:44 PM
I bought the sound and vision $19.99. Nothing special, just the basic stuff to get it up to speed. I believe the AVIA comes in different flavors and pricing from $50-$200. The more expensive the more expansive the tests and signals.

Woochifer
03-30-2004, 07:30 PM
Forget about the THX Optimizer. Without the color filters that come with actual test discs, you have no consistent way of calibrating the video settings. If you're looking for basic tests and some tutorials on how to properly do the setup, then I would recommend the S&V disc. It's much easier to use than DVE, and is a great place to start.

The DVE disc contains more advanced video tests and rather than just using a blue filter, that disc uses three color filters for doing the video settings. A lot of the DVE video tests are good only if you know your way around your TV's service menus, so there's a lot of advanced stuff on there that you may never use. I've used both discs and for my TV at least (non HD, direct view set), I've gone back to the S&V disc because of its simplicity and minimal time needed to verify the settngs (the menu system on the DVE disc is very confusing). If you have a HDTV with more settings to adjust, then DVE might be a better choice.

I haven't used the Avia disc, but some people like it better for video tests. However, for audio tests, Avia's a little long in the tooth because it has no DTS tests and no 6.1 format tests. Even the S&V disc (which along with the Avia disc is made by Ovation Software) has those audio tests.

mtrycraft
03-30-2004, 07:57 PM
Hey, everyone, in my never-ending quest for optimal picture quality, I've come to a point where I'm considering buying a calibration disk. I've already used the THX Optimizer included in many DVDs to adjust my picture but I'm wondering which of the big three disks is best? Also, are they really vastly superior to the THX Optimizer? Thanks.

If your TV cannot be adjusted for each color intensity, no need for the disc with the 3 color filters, it won't help you, nor will it hurt you either :)

Yes, they are superior to the optimizer.

yamdsp-a1
03-31-2004, 04:07 AM
HI,

I got the AVIA disk yesterday and spent an hour last night playing with it. I found it quite informative and thought the videa tests were very well explained.

The end result was a picture that had noticably more clarity and depth - had the contrast and colour settings wrong I think. I have not checked the test tones yet, that takes a bit more time and you have to be in the right frame of mind to listen to test tones!

Overall though it looks like a pretty comprehensive offering good for the newbie and mid level enthusiast alike. Not sure if a professional would find it useful.

Yam

Widowmaker
03-31-2004, 06:28 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I'll pick up the S&V disk since I've read good things about it and it's the cheapest. Thanks for the help.