Paradigm Monitor7v(me) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm Monitor7v(me)

newbsterv2
11-24-2003, 05:21 AM
I'd like to tell everybody how I drastically changed the sound of my monitor 7's for very little cost. I had to help bring Christmas stuff down from the attic when I found my Magnepan MMG shipping carton. Inside were two sets of 10W resistors. I always felt my monitor 7's seemed to be pretty transparent but a little hot up top so I decided to try and attenuate the tweeters with the 1-Ohm resistors. I also felt that the midbass of the speakers was a bit weak and had flabby lower bass. So for that I rolled up 2 sets of socks and plugged up the ports to make them more of a "sealed" design. All I can say now is "wow". These speakers really use good quality components they were just balanced too hot. The tweeter is very fast and has no sibilance. Almost a sweet as the Maggies!! One cd I could never stand to listen to was Bill Evans at the Village Vanguard. The cymbals were too prominent and the piano sounded too distant. Not anymore. These speakers have life!! I listened to them all night. No fatigue. I'd like some information regarding port plugs though. Can these be bought?? I know B&W includes them with some of their speakers. Now on wiring. Simply run your (+) and (-) wires from the amp to one speaker and connect them to the lower posts. Take one end of the resistor and connect it from the (+) of the bass post to the (+) of the tweeter post. Use a jumper wire to connect the (-) bass post to the (-) tweeter post. This is worth a try for anyone who has biwireable speakers that sound a bit bright. Enjoy!!

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=16638318&St=6667&St2=-73243874&St3=-87954420&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=244&DID=7

Woochifer
11-24-2003, 02:09 PM
Paradigm does sell port plugs. You should check with Paradigm or with your local dealer about getting hold of a pair. Otherwise, the rubber plugs you see in the plumbing section at a local hardware store would probably also do the job just as well.

Interesting that you got the sound that you wanted out of the Monitor 7s by inserting a resistor into the chain.

newbsterv2
11-24-2003, 03:20 PM
Paradigm does sell port plugs. You should check with Paradigm or with your local dealer about getting hold of a pair. Otherwise, the rubber plugs you see in the plumbing section at a local hardware store would probably also do the job just as well.

Interesting that you got the sound that you wanted out of the Monitor 7s by inserting a resistor into the chain.

It's amazing I know. I thought for the longest time that the tweeter rang too much. To plug the ports I have 3 sport socks rolled up and stuffed into the ports which does a pretty good job. I took the day off from work today and have been enjoying the sound of these speakers. The sound is much more immediate now and quick. Like my Maggies but more even and the sound seems to come from a black backdrop.

jmzais
11-25-2003, 04:27 PM
It's amazing I know. I thought for the longest time that the tweeter rang too much. To plug the ports I have 3 sport socks rolled up and stuffed into the ports which does a pretty good job. I took the day off from work today and have been enjoying the sound of these speakers. The sound is much more immediate now and quick. Like my Maggies but more even and the sound seems to come from a black backdrop.

Hehe, this is why i bought my B&W 602 s3 over the Monitor 7's. They are both great speakers! Don't get me wront, but i found them to be less controlled at the higher frequencies, and i already had a subwoofer, one that would blend better with the B&W over the paradigms. Sounds like that worked out well for you, but i dunno about sticking socks in my $600 speakers..... :rolleyes: When i insert my bungs into my ports i find it's a totally different sound. Just make sure you can pull out whatever you push in.

zapr
11-27-2003, 07:07 PM
........what did you do with the jumper bars?

jmzais
11-28-2003, 01:29 PM
I keep them on my speakers so i don't loose them. I only have them single wired.