sony 5.1 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : sony 5.1

taylor155
02-16-2010, 11:08 AM
i have a sony 5.1 multi channel input reciever, it went into protection mode. tried disconnecting inputs and output and just power the reciever itself with no luck. almost immediatly it goes into protection mode. I had an extra speaker hooked in so it could have possibly be drawing too much current? Whats may be wrong?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-16-2010, 01:11 PM
i have a sony 5.1 multi channel input reciever, it went into protection mode. tried disconnecting inputs and output and just power the reciever itself with no luck. almost immediatly it goes into protection mode. I had an extra speaker hooked in so it could have possibly be drawing too much current? Whats may be wrong?

What you have to do is disconnect the power cord for half a day or so, and then plug it back in. The capacitors can get saturated(I hope I am saying this right), which sends it into the protection mode instantly.

When you finish using your receiver, do not shut it off using the remote. That only puts the receiver into a standby mode, which does not allow the capacitors to drain themselves of excess elecrical energy. You must use the power button on the receiver itself to shut it off.

I had the same problem you have, and this is how I corrected it. That receiver has not had a problem since I started doing things this way.