Best $1000 speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best $1000 speakers

bjdalton1
02-14-2010, 03:12 PM
I have a NAD 355BEE 80WPC. What do you all think? I may be selling my B&W CDM1NT's.
Wulf

jvc
02-14-2010, 04:30 PM
If I had $1000 for new speakers, I'd buy these: http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm I've not heard a single bad thing about these speakers, and you probably already know about SVS subwoofers.

audio amateur
02-14-2010, 04:36 PM
These http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-mts01.cfm are actually closer to his price range. What don't you like about your B&Ws?

bjdalton1
02-14-2010, 05:08 PM
I actually love them. I feel like I need more bass.

JoeE SP9
02-14-2010, 05:47 PM
Why not get a powered sub woofer?

harley .guy07
02-14-2010, 05:50 PM
You said in your other post that you thought the B&W's were bright sounding but I can understand how you could love a detailed speaker like the CDM's but let me ask you something, can you listen to them for long periods of time without feeling like the highs bother your ears. I Know when I sold B&W that was my main complaint about them, even though they were detailed they also got fatiguing after a while of listening to them. I know most of the people on this forum like speakers that are not fatiguing and the brands that most of us talk about the most are Dynaudio,Usher, Monitor Audio, among others and my personal favorites for commercial made speakers are the Ushers and Dynaudios and for around 1000 bucks your could pick up one of their more affordable speakers for around a grand especially if you found them used on audiogon. there are other great options out there but these are the ones that I could think of right now so this might get you started and there are plenty of other people on this site that can give you good advise as well.

bjdalton1
02-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Harley,
You are exactly right. They are fatiguing. The first time I hooked them up my ears drums were ringing for days. They are very detailed and bright. Almost painful. They still have a high resale value and get a lot of attention on EBAY. Was it you that mentioned that even if I got a sub that my hears would still be ringing?

harley .guy07
02-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Harley,
You are exactly right. They are fatiguing. The first time I hooked them up my ears drums were ringing for days. They are very detailed and bright. Almost painful. They still have a high resale value and get a lot of attention on EBAY. Was it you that mentioned that even if I got a sub that my hears would still be ringing?

Yes it was. Even if you strengthen your bottom end with a subwoofer you will still have the birght highs there. If you are not happy with your sound and find listening to your music painful or bothersome I would take the time to find speakers that you did not have this problem with. Adding a sub will just add more bass. it will not fix anything and most of the people really into listening to their music use their subwoofers very little if any on music and if they do they cross them over very low only to cover frequencies not produced by their main speakers

RGA
02-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Some people feel that the problem with B&W is their kevlar drivers matching up to the metal tweeters which highlight both and can generate fatigue. This poster explained why some B&W speakers are problematic http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=speakers&n=136639&highlight=B&W+layman&r=

People always focus on the woofer and tweeter technology but the cabinet design is IMO more important than the drivers chosen. The overall design and execution is what counts and it's really hard to do in a low price point. You have to accept certain compromises and there is nothing under a grand that is perfect.

You might want to look into some of the following:

Grant Fidelity's LS3/5a $980. This sounded very good at CES in a room too big for it - with a proper room it may be very good. I like it more than the B&W 705 http://www.grantfidelity.com/site/LS3-5A_Speakers

Audio Note AX Two ~ $700 - still my front runner if music is a priority over hi-fi abilities.

Dynaudio Audience 42 - feed it big power - surprising refinement.

Wharfedale Diamond Floorstander - really good for a sane prices.

Also check out the rave reviews of some of the new Cerwin Vegas - you never know. They always had big bass - but if the mids and treble have imprived like some claim they may be seriously worth a listen.

If you can swing $1,795 the Sonist Recital 3 I like more than all of the above (except CV which I have not heard). http://www.hometoys.com/news_detail.php?id=18469214

harley .guy07
02-14-2010, 09:57 PM
I agree about the design and cabinet being important and it will make a dramatic difference in the overall sound character of a given speaker and it is usually where most less expensive speakers do the most cost cutting especially in cabinet bracing and crossover components. But I still do think that driver material and overall construction make a big difference in the sound of a speaker. If all other things being equal quality in the cabinet and crossover department I have seen more speakers with soft dome tweeters and natural materials in the woofers such as modified paper and in some cases a poly cone hybrid using mica or a stiffening material to allow for less distortion. In most cases in the speakers I have dealt with when there are metal domes being used and exotic midrange cones like kevlar the result is usually bright or fatiguing. Its not the rule as there are exceptions out there so don't go thinking that I am stereotyping every product like this but I have seen if many times.
You would have to have a very warm and laid back front end for b&w speakers to give you the warm non fatiguing sound that you are looking for and then if you ever upgraded to another speaker with out these issues then your front end would be way to warm and laid back for the speakers you upgraded to. If you like the front end of your system and don't like the fatigue associated with you speakers then I would hit the streets and look for something with a little more natural and non fatiguing sound. Just my opinion

harley .guy07
02-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Another thing I wanted to say is that I am only giving you advise based off of what I have seen in my time in this hobby and I am not in any way trying to tell you what you need. I think the best thing you could do is to get out there and get an idea of the kind of sound you are looking for and with as many products that are out there there is sure to be one that fits every criteria for you to be able to enjoy your music for as long as you want without the fatigue you are feeling now.

bjdalton1
02-15-2010, 03:57 PM
I am so much loving your input. I am listening so some old Eagles, possibly my favorite band. 'Wasted Time', 'Doolin Dalton', 'Desperado', 'I can't tell you why (live)'. Boys there are so many speakers, so many choices, so little time. A person could spend a lifetime searching for 'The speaker'. Like looking for the perfect wave but never finding it. What if I raise it to say $1500? Does this help? RGA where are you from? Harley you are from BC? I am from Annapolis, Md.boys. How about some other B&W's? I want to make sure if I sell latter that there is a demand. I think the cabinet is very important too. Can't the two be married up w/o getting broke?

blackraven
02-15-2010, 04:57 PM
I would consider these PSB speakers for $1k

Image T-6

http://saturdayaudio.com/picturepages/psb_bstock.htm

GT-1

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PBSTGT1

LeRoy
02-15-2010, 05:04 PM
These may be a consideration for you.

http://www.accessories4less.com/

Mordaunt Short Aviano 6
Three-way 6½" Floorstanding Speaker Pair
Walnut
Our Price: $995.00

Reviews at
http://www.mordauntshort.com/default.php

Good luck with your research and selections.

LeRoy

harley .guy07
02-16-2010, 05:35 PM
1500 dollar speaker budget is a good one to get started with a floor standing speaker that will be a good speaker to get a good mid higher end system started. the thing is you just picked probably the most popular and populated segment of the speaker world. there are dozens of brands and models to choose from so you are going to have to study and do your research, plus do some listening and see what you like. Blackraven has a point with PSB they do have some models that I have liked over the years and they have a lot of different model lines to choose from. Not sure what new models fit your budget but I will let Balckraven handle the PSB recommendation. As far as other speakers in this price range I would look at the Usher 6311, I have seen them on audiogon for around your price range and they are smooth and non fatiguing and have surprising bass for a 2 way floorstander. Another speaker worth looking at would be dynaudio, they have models in your price range in the used market that are very good. Another option is would be the 2 way revelator towers form madisound, they are a kit speaker so some assembly is required but they have detailed directions and they use top notch crossovers and Scan Speak drivers which are some of the best around and I believe they are around your price point with the cabinets. These are just a few of the many options out there that I believe will give you the non fatiguing smooth sound that you are looking for and you should not have to change your front end of your system to do it.

audio amateur
02-17-2010, 05:52 AM
In that price range I would definitely buy bookshelves over floorstanders.

poppachubby
02-17-2010, 07:11 AM
It seems no one has asked about your front end. I assume you listen to CD's? What kind of CDP do you have? Did you consider that the brightness could be a combination of your speakers with your CDP? You have a nice speaker, do you have a subwoofer for H/T that you could hook up?

Lately I have been researching CDP's and more specifically, the DAC's that give them their traits. You would be amazed at how much difference is possible by switching out your CDP...

Anyhow, just a thought. I hate encouraging anyone to spend money that maybe, they don't NEED to spend. A warmer CDP or perhaps a warm DAC could just be the answer here. Your NAD is certainly not considered a warm amp, although a great one in it's range.

Tarheel_
02-17-2010, 10:09 AM
I would consider these PSB speakers for $1k

Image T-6

http://saturdayaudio.com/picturepages/psb_bstock.htm

GT-1

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PBSTGT1

I second the Image line. Great recommendation. Fantastic speakers!

My local Revel dealer sells PSB and i've demoed their line over the years and am always very impressed. Speakers are usually powered by a big Marantz AVR.

blackraven
02-17-2010, 10:51 AM
BJD, what source are you using to play your music? You should try a Marantz CD player. They have a warmer sound and tend to tame high frequency. You should see if you local dealer (assuming you have a local Marantz dealer) will let you do a home audition.

JoeE SP9
02-17-2010, 11:14 AM
I agree with br and pc. I'm acutely aware how different CD players can sound. My modified Marantz CD-63SE is warm and rich without being rolled of in the high end. My new Yamaha DVD S1800 is neither warm nor rich. Actually, it's kind of in your face. It's not harsh or irritating. It's row A in a concert hall where the Marantz is row G. It may be more accurate than the Marantz. Through my DAC the two are indistinguishable

bjdalton1
02-18-2010, 07:13 PM
I have an old Sony CDP. Perhaps the whole damn set up is to bright. Maybe I need tubes. SOOOOO many combinations of speakers and amps SOOOOO lilttle time and money.

bjdalton1
02-18-2010, 07:15 PM
I just love your analogies.In your face Row A vs G. I want a G sound.

errol van
03-07-2010, 11:35 AM
I bought my BOSE 901 series v speakers with the bose eq in 86 or 87 in Germany and they have out lasted my reciever which has quit! The sound has not changed in over twenty years so now I need a new power source I saw an EMOTIVA XPA2 amp and USP1 preamp but I don't know much about this brand can someone help me choose a replacement for the reciever! Thank you!

JohnMichael
03-07-2010, 12:28 PM
I bought my BOSE 901 series v speakers with the bose eq in 86 or 87 in Germany and they have out lasted my reciever which has quit! The sound has not changed in over twenty years so now I need a new power source I saw an EMOTIVA XPA2 amp and USP1 preamp but I don't know much about this brand can someone help me choose a replacement for the reciever! Thank you!

Welcome to AR! I would like to suggest that you post in the Amp/Preamp section. I think you will receive more suggestions and advice.