Interesting stir at Amazon's LOTR Blu-ray reviews [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Interesting stir at Amazon's LOTR Blu-ray reviews

audio amateur
02-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Amazon claims that the Lord Of the Rings films in Blu-ray will be released on April 6th. The theatrical editions, that is. The problem here is, the fans want the extended cuts. What they are saying is the studios are screwing them because in effect they well be making the fans purchase these theatrical editions instead of the extended cuts, as these BR extended cuts won't be out (yet). They are up in arms about this (understandably), and so far there 1700+ one star reviews, against 140 five star reviews (they are obviously not critizising the film, but trying to make a point to the studios).
It appears this situation also occured when the DVDs came out, that is the extended cuts came out way later, when everyone had already purchased the theatrical DVDs. Consequently, this means some people will possibly end up with 4 different copies of the trilogy!
If this really is a matter of making more money, then it is sick indeed. That said, I suppose there could be reasons they aren't releasing the extended cuts now.

Your thoughts on the matter?
Oh I almost forgot, here is the link http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Picture-Theatrical-Editions/dp/B000X9FLKM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1266174636&sr=8-3

Mr Peabody
02-14-2010, 12:07 PM
My opinion if you don't want the theatrical version then wait for the extended version. If you are such a fan or watch the movie weekly and can't wait that long and buy the theatrical version then don't ***** about it. It was your own decision to spend the money and buy all the versions. At some point people have to learn patience or do without something. I mean will waiting for extended versions trigger the end of the world? Suck it up and watch the DVD again if you are dieing to see it again before your version of choice hits the street.

Something a wise person once told me at work when I was complaining about a stupid procedure that was implimented. "It's mandated to do it that way so do it, then they will realize it's stupidity, but if no one obeys then the stupid procedure will remain.". So if it is a ploy to milk the movie if no one bought the theatrical version then maybe the studio will learn a lesson. But if people buy both versions then the studio wins and show their ploy worked.

Then there's the "who cares" factor that just want it on BD and don't care which version. I think I have the theatrical versions because I bought them soon after release on DVD, those are 3 hours, I hate to see how long an extended version is. Of course, an extended version some day down the road could give me an excuse to by them on Blu.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-14-2010, 01:02 PM
I say that if you really want the extended version, then wait for it and do not by the theatrical version. If the theatrical version does not sell well, then Warner will have learned their lesson. It is time for the people to make the studios responsible for their bad decisions(and greedy ones), and the only way to do that is to hit them dead in the wallet.

If people buy this version who really want the extended version, then Warner will continue the double dip dance, because let's face it, they are in it for the money just like everyone else.

ForeverAutumn
02-14-2010, 01:14 PM
I say, Get a Life!

poppachubby
02-14-2010, 01:20 PM
These people are the same ones that dress up like Frodo, and camped in front of the theatres for days before opening night. They believe if they watch the movie enough times, maybe it can somehow all come true.

02-14-2010, 01:21 PM
I say, Get a Life!

What, not even a little bit of sympathy? No bone? Not even a dried out bone? LOLOL

Mr Peabody
02-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Poppa, only I know you are sincere. That's how you plan to learn Kung Fu :)

recoveryone
02-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Beyond all of this hoop la of releases, I wonder how the first LOTR will look in BR since it was not (I believe) shot in HD. The last two were from what I read a few years back, due that both films were done around the same time. This argument goes on for all sequels/trilogies (SW/LOTR/SPIDERMAN..etc..) I'm with Autumn GET A LIFE!

audio amateur
02-14-2010, 02:09 PM
These people are the same ones that dress up like Frodo, and camped in front of the theatres for days before opening night. They believe if they watch the movie enough times, maybe it can somehow all come true.
Actually, these are the people who won't get fooled into buying the theatrical releases. Still, why would they pospone the extended cut releases if not to fill their pockets with more money.
I for one will definitely not be buying the BR theatrical release. I sure hope this goes for most people and hopefully Warner will learn their lesson, as Sir T pointed out.

poppachubby
02-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Poppa, only I know you are sincere. That's how you plan to learn Kung Fu :)

Oh you mean LEARNED.

Hyfi
02-15-2010, 04:02 AM
Your thoughts on the matter?

Well, FA stole my words.

I'm a huge LOTR fan and still have my deteriorating copies of the 4 books with a copy write date of 1972. I do have the extended set in regular DVD.

What I really don't understand is why people think they have to run out and buy every new movie the day it's released. What's the rush? Do you think they will run out of copies before the price gets reduced in a few months?

I have nothing against die hard anything fans but yeah, get a life and wait for the version you would rather buy and watch the set you already bought in DVD for a bit longer.

audio amateur
02-15-2010, 04:44 AM
What I really don't understand is why people think they have to run out and buy every new movie the day it's released. What's the rush? Do you think they will run out of copies before the price gets reduced in a few months?
They don't. The question is, why can't Warner simply release the extended cuts?

Hyfi
02-15-2010, 05:57 AM
They don't. The question is, why can't Warner simply release the extended cuts?

The simple answer is probably Money. They can get all the people who have to buy everything but the regular and then the extended versions.

I can tell ya tho, there are not too many people who are not really into LOTR who can watch an extended 5.5 hour movie. It might just be logistics based on the sales of the regular DVDs.

audio amateur
02-15-2010, 06:11 AM
The simple answer is probably Money. They can get all the people who have to buy everything but the regular and then the extended versions.

I can tell ya tho, there are not too many people who are not really into LOTR who can watch an extended 5.5 hour movie. It might just be logistics based on the sales of the regular DVDs.
You have a point. You are exagerating the length of the film however. The longest runs a little over 4 hours.

Swish
02-15-2010, 06:16 AM
I say, Get a Life!

My sentiments exactly.

Jim Clark
02-15-2010, 02:09 PM
I say, Get a Life!

I just got 'Get A Life' starring Chris Elliot on DVD. It's bootleg stuff since the series was never completely released in any format but it's better than my aging VHS copies that I grabbed on the USA network years ago ;)

How's that for random?

jc

ForeverAutumn
02-15-2010, 02:23 PM
I just got 'Get A Life' starring Chris Elliot on DVD. It's bootleg stuff since the series was never completely released in any format but it's better than my aging VHS copies that I grabbed on the USA network years ago ;)

How's that for random?

jc

OMG Jim! I need to get my hands on that. How did you get those? More importantly, how can I get them? I've been waiting for forever for that series to come out on DVD.

Zoo Animals on Wheels is one of the funniest things that I ever remember seeing on TV. EVER!

musicman1999
02-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Rent the theatrical and buy the extended, thats what I plan to do.

bill

Mr Peabody
02-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Rent the theatrical and buy the extended, thats what I plan to do.

bill

I knew some one would show up with a solution. Do you still have the Anthem processor?

02-15-2010, 07:31 PM

Here is the rub, and why these people are angry. When LOTR first came out on DVD, there were hints an extended version was coming, but Warner kept denying they were going to release it. So folks bought the theatrical version on DVD. Not even two month later, Warner turns around and announces the extended versions coming out in a box set. Many people bought the theatrical version because they thought that was the only version that was going to be released.

People feel this is a repeat, and they are not buying it this time around.

Warner should really know better than this. They know that some people already have two DVD versions of this movie already, so to double dip on the Blu ray in the same fashion is waving the greed flag big and high, and right in the AV community's face. This could really backfire on them, and I think it will this time around.

jrhymeammo
02-15-2010, 09:23 PM
OMG Jim! I need to get my hands on that. How did you get those? More importantly, how can I get them? I've been waiting for forever for that series to come out on DVD.

Zoo Animals on Wheels is one of the funniest things that I ever remember seeing on TV. EVER!

As far as I know, it's been out for close to 10yrs on DVD.
Try watching it without "added" audience laughter. You will soon wonder why you even like the show...

BUT HERE IS THE BIGGEST SURPRISE OF ALL!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00003PE9I/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I used to be able to find this crap in $2 bin about 4 years ago in Denver.
$135!?!?!!?!?!!?!??!!

$340!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!!?!??

audio amateur
02-16-2010, 03:49 AM
Here is the rub, and why these people are angry. When LOTR first came out on DVD, there were hints an extended version was coming, but Warner kept denying they were going to release it. So folks bought the theatrical version on DVD. Not even two month later, Warner turns around and announces the extended versions coming out in a box set. Many people bought the theatrical version because they thought that was the only version that was going to be released.

Warner should really know better than this. They know that some people already have two DVD versions of this movie already, so to double dip on the Blu ray in the same fashion is waving the greed flag big and high, and right in the AV community's face. This could really backfire on them, and I think it will this time around.
Damn, I thought you'd be on the studio's side!
Thanks for making the situation clear to everyone:)

Hyfi
02-16-2010, 05:04 AM

I get all that. What I don't get is the mentality of having to run out and buy everything the day it's released. I understand it is a personal preference for those with disposable cash but what's the rush? If they figure on an extended release, great, don't buy the theatrical and wait. If nobody buys it and all they hear is extended-extended, then in time they will put it out. I'm sure the same people already have 2700 other movies on the shelf they can rewatch for a time.

audio amateur
02-16-2010, 05:09 AM
I get all that. What I don't get is the mentality of having to run out and buy everything the day it's released. I understand it is a personal preference for those with disposable cash but what's the rush? If they figure on an extended release, great, don't buy the theatrical and wait. If nobody buys it and all they hear is extended-extended, then in time they will put it out. I'm sure the same people already have 2700 other movies on the shelf they can rewatch for a time.
The fact is, they've been waiting for it since 2006. So not only has it taken ages to come out, they are postponing the extended cut releases... This is what the fuss is about.

02-16-2010, 11:07 AM
Damn, I thought you'd be on the studio's side!
Thanks for making the situation clear to everyone:)

Not always. I blame them when they are at fault, and I congratulate when they do well.

When Blu ray first hit the market, the studio loosely agreed not to continue the bad practices(out of greed) that left the buying public fuming about DVD releases. We as part of the BDA promised to put our best foot forward on every release, and give our customers real value. For Disney, I think we have done exactly that. We continually receive the highest PQ and AQ scores on our Blu rays for the various online review sites, and we provide all of the extras the producer produces for the picture we release.

Warner has been a pile of crap for Blu ray from day one. Releases with edge enhancements to counter heavy grain reduction, releases with lossy audio, releases that went to HD DVD that have not come to Blu ray yet, folks are just through with them and now this.

This give Blu ray the same "shiner" that DVD got. Warner is dragging everyone down with the release practices, and their habit of releasing sub standard Blu rays that they can double dip on later. I say enough is enough, and folks need to stop buying their crap, or return it when they don't like what they see or hear.

02-16-2010, 11:28 AM
I get all that. What I don't get is the mentality of having to run out and buy everything the day it's released.

Now you understand the difference between the casual viewer, and the videophile.

I understand it is a personal preference for those with disposable cash but what's the rush? If they figure on an extended release, great, don't buy the theatrical and wait. If nobody buys it and all they hear is extended-extended, then in time they will put it out.

The issue here is that they will say no extended cut will be offered, and as soon as sales slip on the theatrical release they turn around an annouce a extended cut. It does not have anything to do with disposible income, it has more to do with ethics of double dipping. You would think that Warner would have learned their lesson since they have taken the biggest hit in the DVD sales slide.

I'm sure the same people already have 2700 other movies on the shelf they can rewatch for a time.

That is not the point, as strong supporters of the Blu ray format, this go around we do not want ten copies of the same movie with incremental improvements being done and calling it a remaster(when it wasn't) or adding extra content that existed when the first release came out. I was personally hoping that Warner would improve their practices, but I guess they have to learn the hard way,and they will.

nightflier
02-16-2010, 01:04 PM
But the real question is: will the BR versions offer anything new?

BTW, I'm one of those crazy loons who owns all of Tolkien's books. That said, I've never dressed up as a Frodo. Anyhow, I saw a lot more of that kind of flag-waving during the first Harry Potter movies - perhaps they have a more successful marketing department working for them.

Anyhow, I wonder how Christopher Tolkien, or Peter Jackson for that matter, feel about Warner's obvious price-gouging.

musicman1999
02-16-2010, 06:07 PM
I knew some one would show up with a solution. Do you still have the Anthem processor?

Mr p

No, the Anthem has passed to a new owner that i know will give it a good home, also my Cambridge left yesterday after 6 years of faithful service. I am taking my system in a new direction, just not a hundred percent sure what that will be. Currently all my audio passes through my Moon I-3 and video straight to the television, and it sounds very good, even in two channel. In fact that is one of the options i am looking at is kicking my two channel rig up a notch. What i really want is an all Moon set up, but that will sting the wallet in a big way. Oh well it's only money, right.

bill