Paradigm center has dented tweeter... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm center has dented tweeter...

pdawg17
02-13-2010, 02:27 PM
I've searched for solutions like tape, vacuum cleaner, etc but I'm afraid I will make it worse trying so I thought I'd ask a few things first...what type of material is the tweeter "cap" of a Studio CC v2 center? I've heard terms like silk, soft, metal for tweeters but I can't tell what material the Paradigm is? The dent looks like a fingernail pushed into the edge of it where the "cap" meets the speaker itself...I have no idea if it affects the sound of the speaker but it bugs me just knowing it is there...since it is a "skinny" dent vs the front of it getting pushed in it seems more difficult to just lightly press a piece of tape on it like one might with a "broader" dent...

Is a Paradigm tweeter easy to get at if I unscrew the four front screws and three hex screws? Or just put the grill back on and let time heal me? :D

audio amateur
02-13-2010, 02:33 PM
I would only unscrew the outer screws.
A dent in a tweeter may well affect sound. It's a tricky situation. Perhaps you can get a quote on a replacement from paradigm?

pdawg17
02-13-2010, 07:40 PM
I would only unscrew the outer screws.
A dent in a tweeter may well affect sound. It's a tricky situation. Perhaps you can get a quote on a replacement from paradigm?

If I take the 4 outer screws out will that allow me to get at the "cap"? What will end up getting disconnected when I take it off? How easy is it to put things back together?

audio amateur
02-14-2010, 05:41 AM
I don't know the structure of tweeters very well, I was just saying the four outer screws because that's probably all you need to detach the whole of the tweeter from the cabinet.
Again, I don't know the ins and outs of tweeter structures so I don't know what the other screws would do.
Perhaps someone else can chime in here, guys?

harley .guy07
02-14-2010, 10:23 AM
The tweeters are easy to remove from the cabinet but the bad thing with metal dome tweeter which yours is aluminum is that when a dent gets put in a metal dome tweeter it is very hard to pull it out without having a crease in the metal where the dent was. And it can affect its performance in some cases and its an eye sore that you will always notice or think about when you look at the speaker. I have dealt with Paradigm before and they are a awesome company to deal with when it comes to service but you better get you wallet prepared because their replacement drivers are pretty expensive as I have replaced two tweeters in my Monitor 7's and have since went to a way better soft dome tweeter for smoother response and the fact that Paradigm wanted over 100 dollars a piece for their replacement tweeter and I would not know what a tweeter for the studio series would cost but if you really like you studio center then you could replace it. I would also check ebay and other internet services to make sure that someone isn't selling the tweeter you need for way less money. But be careful because Paradigm makes their own drivers and they are different from model to model even in the same model line so the tweeter in the studio 100 may be different than the tweeter in the studio 60's even though they look identical. I know I used to sell Paradigm and had to service a few of them and found this out the hard way.

pdawg17
02-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Do you guys know if the "dome" of the tweeter is the same across different models? I have a Paradigm onwall center that I am not using so if I took out just the "dome" (the whole triangular piece) and put it in the Studio CC would that change the sound?