Wireless Subwoofers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Subwoofers

chiefwalk3
02-13-2010, 06:25 AM
Anyone have any experience with wireless subwoofers. I am in the market for a upgrade to my old 8" sony sub and ran across the Polk wireless 8" and wandered if that would be a good fit for me. My listening pleasure is jazz like chris botti,boney james, kako matsui, seline dion, older rythmn and blues smokey robinson, marvin gaye etc. Current system 5.1 surrond Boston acoustics front,center,and rears.

dpowell
02-17-2010, 04:09 PM
I've never been a big fan of wireless audio devices. However, if Polk puts their name on it, it is probably good. Personally, I'd stick with a wired sub.

harley .guy07
02-17-2010, 05:33 PM
I myself agree that wireless audio devices are not good enough yet as far as keeping out interference and keeping the signal at a constant level. A friend of mine tried a JBL wireless sub and ended up not liking it because of the interference. I would stick to wireless at least until they improve the technology.

blackraven
02-17-2010, 06:16 PM
I have no experience with wireless but I would take a look at the Martin Logan Dynamo wireless subs. ML subs are great for music and I would expect a company like ML to make a relieable wireless sub.
I think only Dynamo 700 and 1000 have the wireless feature.

http://www.martinlogan.com/products/dynamo700

harley .guy07
02-17-2010, 10:37 PM
I did not think of ML. I don't think they would allow a product with their name on it to be released with sub par wireless technology. But the batch of cheaper subs out there with this feature I would probably stay away from. They make a version of my E250P JBL with wireless capabilities and that was the one my friend tried and did not like. I have modified the enclosure and put a different amplifier on my JBL sub so it is not stock by any means and I changed it because they skipped some crucial steps in building this sub like enclosure dampening and a good quality amp so my E250P does not perform like a stock one. The enclosure is now dampened and braced and the amp is a class A/B with better power and sound quality. But I would watch the cheap subs with this feature as they probably will lack performance in both wireless and overall sound anyway.

paulspencer
02-22-2010, 03:14 AM
It's a good idea with serious potential, and I think it will become more common. At the moment options are limited. It is going to affect the sound, but I don't think this would be an issue for a subwoofer.

chiefwalk3
02-22-2010, 05:00 PM
So maybe going the wireless route is a bit premature. Thanks everyone that gave me some good input. What about the recommendation that "you should stick to the same speaker brand". I have a budget 5.1 system with Boston Acoustics front, center, and rear. Should I also to with a Boston Acoustics subwoofer? Best Buy is the only place I can go listen to speakers before buying (Now that Circuit City is toast), but they don't carry Boston Acoustics. Also where do you go to give a listen to a Martin Logan Dynamo?

koven
02-22-2010, 05:12 PM
^ Go to Martin Logan's website, and locate your local authorized dealers.

From my experience, Magnolia carries Martin Logan stuff including the Dynamo.