HT newbie looking for recommendation [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HT newbie looking for recommendation

jry1209
03-30-2004, 11:02 AM
Okay, I've browsed the forums, shopped around, but really don't know what direction to go in. I have a family room that is roughly 20x16 with a 47" HDTV. I'm looking for an audio solution to complete the home theatre experience. This room I consider a secondary room since within 5 years I plan on finishing the basement and going all out down there, but I want something decent in the meantime. I don't have any expertise whatsoever when it comes to this type of stuff, but I do appreciate good sound quality.

My primary concern is for watching movies, but I do plan on listening to some music as well. Ideally I'd like this system to allow me to upgrade with a few speakers to the outdoor deck. I'd prefer to stay away from big box speakers, and since this is a secondary room, I'd like to stay under $1000 on speakers and a receiver.

Looking for some recommendations that I can rely on rather then the clueless sales reps at chains like best buy and circuit city. Tweeter seems to be a little better, but since I'm no expert, I'd like to get some expertise.

poneal
03-30-2004, 11:26 AM
I think that most people here would agree that you should buy a receiver, dvd, and speakers to get you started. As far as receivers go, I would recommend something like Harman Kardon, Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, or Marantz. Then again, since your budget is only $1000 then you may find that those new fangled Home Theater in a Box (HTIB) might be your best route. I'm not sure if you will be satisified with one of those with your room size though. Also, since your only budgeting $1000, you will probably be getting bookshelf speakers since towers are generally more expensive. This usually indicates a need for a subwoofer. So you will need 5 speakers + a subwoofer. Boy, its gonna be tough getting all that for a $1000 unless you go with the HTIB. So, in conclusion, I would recommend researching HTIB from the above companies.

jry1209
03-30-2004, 11:39 AM
I think that most people here would agree that you should buy a receiver, dvd, and speakers to get you started. As far as receivers go, I would recommend something like Harman Kardon, Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, or Marantz. Then again, since your budget is only $1000 then you may find that those new fangled Home Theater in a Box (HTIB) might be your best route. I'm not sure if you will be satisified with one of those with your room size though. Also, since your only budgeting $1000, you will probably be getting bookshelf speakers since towers are generally more expensive. This usually indicates a need for a subwoofer. So you will need 5 speakers + a subwoofer. Boy, its gonna be tough getting all that for a $1000 unless you go with the HTIB. So, in conclusion, I would recommend researching HTIB from the above companies.

What about the BOSE 321 system? Do you think a 20x16 room is too big for something like this?

poneal
03-30-2004, 01:53 PM
Here come the blasts I am sure. I would recommend NOT getting the bose 321 system. Bose has proprietary equipment used to drive these cube systems. Now I'm not blasting their bookshelf/tower speakers as I own a pair of 201s for surround, but I would not buy those little cubes. Many bookshelf speakers can be bought for a lower price and better frequency response. At least listen to some other speakers before making your decison to purchase the 321 system. In the end it is you that will make the decision, but let your ears determine. If the 321 system sounds better than say a HTIB w/speakers from one of the manufacturers above, then by all means buy it.

Bryan
03-31-2004, 07:11 AM
Do not consider the 321 system. It is a ripoff. For speakers and a sub, I would recommend the HSU (http://www.hsuresearch.com) Ventriloquist/VTF-2 combination. You should be able to get it for $660 delivered. For a receiver, the Onkyo TX-SR501, Yamaha HTR-5640, or Marantz SR-5200 (http://www.bestspeakerdeals.com/store/category.cgi?category=bgd_aud_rec&item=m1sr5200&type=store) should meet your needs.

topspeed
03-31-2004, 11:22 AM
http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=ht_htib&item=k1pk663zz

As poneal pointed out, getting everything out the door for under a kilobuck is going to be challenging. I've found that CSW offers a helluva lot of bang for the buck. This system will humble the Bose system mightily, it's upgradeable, and it even plays DVD-Audio...that's pretty cool :). If you didn't know, CSW was formed by the late, great Henry Kloss who pioneered acoustic suspension speakers and founded or was a chief designer for such legendary companies as AR, Advent, and KLH. The speakers really do sound great and CSW's customer service is top notch (certainly better than PSB ;)). You might give them a try as if for any reason you don't like them, you just ship them back for a full refund. I think they even pay for shipping.

Good luck and buy what moves you.

stuartlittle
03-31-2004, 05:51 PM
I think one of the best $1000 systems is the Orb Audio HT Express which includes a full featured progressive scan JVC DVD/Receiver. http:\\www.orbaudio.com. It has a ton of inputs and won't disappoint you like almost every DVD/Receiver in Home Theater In A Box systems. Plus, the speakers, and the subwoofer, are more than a couple of notches above the other stuff in that price range. Even if you don't get the Orbs, that JVC can be had for about $300 online and that leaves a decent amount for a small bookshelf system. I'm not a big fan of all in one units, but this one has won me over when budget is limited and money is better spent on speakers.

paul_pci
03-31-2004, 09:46 PM
You might also want to check out www.crutchfield.com as they have a fairly good selection of audio merchandise that would fit the 1k budget. Although I might be tarred and feathered for recommending this, Polk Audio speakers would present a good value for your budget constraints. I was working with a similar budget and I went with Polk. I know I'll upgrade as soon as I can, but for now, I'm happy with what I got for the money I spent.