40 years of The Court [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 40 years of The Court

MasterCylinder
02-12-2010, 05:04 AM
Still running througn my collection of Japanese remasters and currently listening to IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING............hard to believe it has been over 40 years since the original release date in October of 1969.

We all remember without effort, Lake & Fripp...................but MacDonald & Giles really added a lot and played so well on this stuff............good memories.

There was a neighbor that had a storm celler in his back yard...............one wall down there was painted just like the album cover [The Schizoid Man]............and a dang good job it was too............it was a good place to hang out, play a record and share smoke....................good memories.

3LB
02-12-2010, 07:22 AM
Any plans to pick up the 5.1 reissues done by Steve Wilson?

MasterCylinder
02-12-2010, 07:30 AM
Any plans to pick up the 5.1 reissues done by Steve Wilson?

I've heard Fripp & Wilson did that..................since I have an old DENON unit, I've become acustomed to the 5-channel stereo feature............most times (but not always) it sounds better than the 5.1.

Hyfi
02-12-2010, 07:32 AM
I have actually been listening to this as well as other ELP material in prep for the Emerson Lake show I just got tickets to.

I have an import version of the court that is an exact replica of the album but in CD form. The cover is an album sleeve, the cd is in the black LP like sleeve, and all the artwork and words to the songs are just as they were 40 years ago but a little hard for this geezer to read.

Emerson and Lake are doing songs from The Nice, ELP, and Crimson with story telling of it all in between. We were supposed to see the Emerson show last year but he canceled due to a hand injury so getting to see him and Lake together will be great.

Auricauricle
02-12-2010, 07:34 AM
I was just listening to that album the other day....Good times, good times.

Interesting note: About a week ago, the National Public Radio program, Echoes, interviewed the director, Diana Dilworth, who has recently released her film celebrating the Mellotron: Mellodrama. For those of you in the know, the Mellotron, is and was, an indespensible voice in the prog-rock scene. All those wondrously serene and spooky strings and other effects were probably voiced by it, and groups like The Moody Blues, The Beatles, Tangerine Dream, Pink Floyd, and of course, King Crimson made full use of it.

For those of you who love Prog, and just can't resist the Mellotron, this sounds like a must see!

http://diannadilworth.com/artwork/504347_Mellodrama.html

Hyfi
02-12-2010, 07:39 AM
I was just listening to that album the other day....Good times, good times.

Interesting note: About a week ago, the National Public Radio program, Echoes, interviewed an author who has recently published a book celebrating the Mellotron. For those of you in the know, the Mellotron, is and was, an indespensible voice in the prog-rock scene. All those wondrously serene and spooky strings and other effects were probably voiced by it, and groups like The Moody Blues, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, and of course, King Crimson made full use of it.

Yeah, I heard it a while back. There are several older posts over at PE on this topic. Hard to believe all the songs that used it and that it's original intent was definitely not for Prog.

MasterCylinder
02-12-2010, 08:38 AM
I have actually been listening to this as well as other ELP material in prep for the Emerson Lake show I just got tickets to.

I have an import version of the court that is an exact replica of the album but in CD form. The cover is an album sleeve, the cd is in the black LP like sleeve, and all the artwork and words to the songs are just as they were 40 years ago but a little hard for this geezer to read.

Emerson and Lake are doing songs from The Nice, ELP, and Crimson with story telling of it all in between. We were supposed to see the Emerson show last year but he canceled due to a hand injury so getting to see him and Lake together will be great.

I have one of those exact album replicas but, I don't remember which CD it is..........I want to say it is one of the Jethro Tull releases.

Hyfi............after reading your post, I went to the Greg Lake webpage because I didn't know this tour was going to take place............unfortunately, they will not play anywhere near here............one of my largest regrets in my youth was never going to see Emerson, which IMO, is one of the finest keyboard talents to ever apply his knowledge to our generation of music (as opposed to staying purely with classical studies).

Swish
02-12-2010, 08:53 AM
...cover was cool. Yes, I liked it a lot back then, along with Tull, Yes, and ELP, but that stuff does nothing from me these days. Back then it was all the rage.

Hyfi
02-12-2010, 09:09 AM
I have one of those exact album replicas but, I don't remember which CD it is..........I want to say it is one of the Jethro Tull releases.

Hyfi............after reading your post, I went to the Greg Lake webpage because I didn't know this tour was going to take place............unfortunately, they will not play anywhere near here............one of my largest regrets in my youth was never going to see Emerson, which IMO, is one of the finest keyboard talents to ever apply his knowledge to our generation of music (as opposed to staying purely with classical studies).

I saw ELP in the late 70s on a whim at the Tower and was completely blown away.

Hyfi
02-12-2010, 09:10 AM
...cover was cool. Yes, I liked it a lot back then, along with Tull, Yes, and ELP, but that stuff does nothing from me these days. Back then it was all the rage.

LOL, I use that picture as my IM chat pic at work to show my frustration with stupid customers.

3LB
02-12-2010, 02:14 PM
for those of you with I-phones, there a mellotron app that pretty cool

I can't post links, but there is vid on YouTube that shows a demo.

Swish
02-15-2010, 06:33 AM
I saw ELP in the late 70s on a whim at the Tower and was completely blown away.

I actually saw the twice there, but the second time they used 'quadraphonic sound' and had PA speakers set up in all four corners of the arena. I know it was a novelty, but it sounded pretty cool back then and was the precursor to the current 'surround sound' systems. I know that Pink Floyd was the first to utilize it back in 1967, but it was short-lived, both on the live stage and home audio.

ForeverAutumn
02-15-2010, 07:52 AM
I actually saw the twice there,
:yikes:

I had no idea that you used to be so cool!

;)

Swish
02-15-2010, 09:06 AM
I had no idea that you used to be such a fool and listened to prog!

;)

My tastes are much more discerning and discriminating these days. :ciappa:

Mr MidFi
02-15-2010, 12:35 PM
Not sure how ELP became the thread topic, but that was my very first concert. 7/7/77 at Madison Square Garden, with a full orchestra. I was 14 years old, and very high.

MasterCylinder
02-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Not sure how ELP became the thread topic, but that was my very first concert. 7/7/77 at Madison Square Garden, with a full orchestra. I was 14 years old, and very high.

Full orchestra...................I presume that must have been the promotional tour for the WORKS material..........as you are now aware, they were still going hot & heavy in 77 but would soon after begin the dreaded decline.

Swish
02-15-2010, 12:52 PM

....when they did their first US tour. The second was probably in late 1973 or early 1974 when they first used the quadraphonic sound. I'm a little older than you, so I was about 15 for that first show and about 16 for the second. By 1977 I had moved on to a different style of music and was pretty much done with ELP and the like.

Swish
02-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Full orchestra...................I presume that must have been the promotional tour for the WORKS material..........as you are now aware, they were still going hot & heavy in 77 but would soon after begin the dreaded decline.

I did some research to figure out when I saw them, and it wasn't on this tour. Some rather amazing information about the 1977 tour, the likes of which will never be seen again, at least I doubt it...

As ambitious as the Works Volume I album was, it was no match for what the band had up its sleeve for the road show. Fulfilling a life long dream of Keith Emerson's, ELP launched its seventh US Tour with a full symphony orchestra and choir consisting of 75 union musicians. They were taken from a pool of over 1,500 musicians auditioned by the band in six cities around the world.

In 1977, Emerson, Lake & Palmer was touring with an entourage of over 130 people, and a daily payroll cost of $20,000 per day. The tour ran into further complications when union regulations prevented the band from more than three shows a week or travel over 250 miles per day. These regulations made routing nearly impossible and made it financially impossible for the band to make any money with anything less than a sell out wherever the tour went. Before the start of the tour, the band knew it would take a lot just to break even, but after two weeks, they were on track to lose over $3 million dollars. The truth was painfully evident: the orchestra would have to be dropped. A week later, it was and the band continued on the tour as a trio from the Fall of 1977 through March 6th, 1978, when the band played its final show in New Haven, Connecticut. A collection of additional tracks from the Works sessions was released after the tour as Works Vol. II.