Sub Information [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sub Information

T-Bone
03-30-2004, 10:46 AM
Hey all in audio land... T-Bone here.

Have a question regarding subwoofers... specifically, a musical sub. I know that all of you SVS and HSU people are just waiting to extole the virtues of these subs... but I have one qualifier: I want an accoustic suspension design sub. Specifically, I am interested in REL subs, but since they are REALLY hard to come by in Canada (The closest distributer that I can find in in California), I am looking for alternatives.

I listen to classical music most of the time, and this is not going to be used in any HT application... I also realize that a good accoustic suspension sub bass system costs money (about $1000 USD). Are there any good sub manufacturers out there that rival REL in terms of musicality? Also, could I get away with a passive sub?

Thanks for the info... T-Bone

GTF
03-31-2004, 10:46 AM
Why just an accoustic suspension sub? Have you ever heard a transmission line sub?
Being you like classicial you'll appreciate how they give you the very bottom of the orchestra the sence of Live without having to play them very loud.
They are more expensive, but once you heard a good one their's no going back.

http://carolinaaudio.com/

GTF

Woochifer
03-31-2004, 12:14 PM
Hey all in audio land... T-Bone here.

Have a question regarding subwoofers... specifically, a musical sub. I know that all of you SVS and HSU people are just waiting to extole the virtues of these subs... but I have one qualifier: I want an accoustic suspension design sub. Specifically, I am interested in REL subs, but since they are REALLY hard to come by in Canada (The closest distributer that I can find in in California), I am looking for alternatives.

I listen to classical music most of the time, and this is not going to be used in any HT application... I also realize that a good accoustic suspension sub bass system costs money (about $1000 USD). Are there any good sub manufacturers out there that rival REL in terms of musicality? Also, could I get away with a passive sub?

Thanks for the info... T-Bone

Actually, you got some good sealed box options under $1,000, certainly a lot more than a couple of years ago when I started shopping for subs. Atlantic Technology and B&W both make sealed subs starting at $500. Otherwise, you can go the second hand route and get a used Sunfire, Velodyne, REL, or Paradigm Servo-15.

If you're willing to go the mail order route, Adire Audio sells the sealed Rava, and Acoustic Visions can custom build a subwoofer to your specs (just pick the driver, amp, and box). Or you can go with any number of DIY options.

Whatever you do, just make sure that you get the placement and setup right. And if you have a small to medium sized room, you should also get a parametric equalizer to eliminate room-induced peaks, because those peaks can make the lows sound bloated and boomy yet thin and lifeless at the same time. By using the equalizer to correct for the room acoustics, the resulting bass is much fuller sounding since you can raise the overall levels higher now that the boomy peaks no longer dominate what you hear in the lows. Getting that setup right might take time (and a test disc and SPL meter), but the results are worthwhile.

The main reason for going with a self-powered sub is to relieve the amp from having to drive the more demanding low frequencies. With acoustic music, the biggest benefit of a sub is with removing the extreme lows from the main speakers, which opens up the midrange. Also, directing the lows through a sub gives you maximum placement flexibility, since the location of the main speakers is rarely ideal for low frequencies.