Upsacle Audio [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Upsacle Audio

blackraven
02-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Has anyone ordered any tubes from Upscale Audio out of California? I'm looking to roll the tubes in my Van Alstine DAC and Preamp. Franks recommends swapping out the 6N1P tubes for some 6CG7's. The one's that I need art the Mazda/Brimer 6CG7's because these are the only ones that will fit without having to mod the top of the chassis. They are supposed to give more bottom end as well as a wide sound stage with more depth and detail.

Mr Peabody
02-10-2010, 08:58 PM
I've never bought from them but hear they are alright. I spoke to them before though and wasn't impressed by what I heard. If they can't talk the hobby I get doubts. It could have just been that one guy though.

If the other tube is better I have to wonder why Frank didn't just use it in the first place.

Feanor
02-11-2010, 06:00 AM
I've never bought from them but hear they are alright. I spoke to them before though and wasn't impressed by what I heard. If they can't talk the hobby I get doubts. It could have just been that one guy though.

If the other tube is better I have to wonder why Frank didn't just use it in the first place.
This is a good questions. I heard it said that equipment makers are interested in reliable supply over the producte lifecycle, and consistent rather than absolute component quality. Thus you're unlikely to see exquisite but rare NOS tubes turning up in new product.

Mr Peabody
02-11-2010, 07:02 AM
This is a good questions. I heard it said that equipment makers are interested in reliable supply over the producte lifecycle, and consistent rather than absolute component quality. Thus you're unlikely to see exquisite but rare NOS tubes turning up in new product.

That makes sense.

blackraven
02-11-2010, 09:37 AM
The reason Frank does not use the 6CG7 tubes in his production models is that only the Mazda tubes fit in the chassis' without modification. The brand of 6CG7 tube he was recommending was too tall to fit in the chassis'. Frank was not aware of the Mazda tubes until one of his customers found the Mazda's and posted it on the audio circles forum. The Mazda tubes are shorter than the typical 6CG& tubes and will fit. They are also more expensive at $40 a tube and he is all about keeping costs down for the customer. In addition, he is discontinuing his current line of tube Preamps and DAC's and has newer, better and more up to date models that are not posted on his web site yet but can be found on the Audio Circles forum.

On thing that's nice about Frank is that if he finds an up grade that will work with his equipment, he will pass it on to his customers whether it's a DIY mod or one that he has to do.

His customer service is second to none and he has a large loyal following and is always available to his customers by phone, email and the audio circles forum.

jrhymeammo
02-11-2010, 10:36 AM
I have talked to Kevin, and thought he was an elegant a** hole.

They have always had the BAT VK55 show sample piece for sale.
I'm not sure if it's the same one, but looks like the amp is still there....

The ad states no email pricing and call for the best price. So, I called and talked to Kevin. I asked him how much, then he simply told me "If you have to ask, you can't buy it." He then went off on some sales pitch, while I was feeling a bit of shock.

I've always read he's really nice to deal with.
If you have tons of cash and doesn't need to ask about the price, he may be the nicest guy to work with.........

I've ordered tons of preamp tubes and few quads of power tubes since this incident, cuz he's tubes seem reliable. Perhaps I should look for other places to purchase my precious tubes.

bluetrain
02-11-2010, 01:50 PM
If you're suspicious of being screwed, then no, you'll get what you pay for (from my personal experience). As for Kevin being an "elegant a-hole', dunno, I guess no more or less than the other dealers.