What is region free and code free mean ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What is region free and code free mean ?

Frito
02-10-2010, 05:20 PM
I was checking on ebay for an OPPO BDP-83DVD and got tangled up on the region and code free language. Maybe this is common knowledge for some of you, but it is greek to me!

02audionoob
02-10-2010, 09:01 PM
The region code is a way of limiting the part of the world in which the disc and the player are used. USA and Canada are in Region 1. Players for those countries play Region 1 discs. Region-free players play discs of all region codes.

Frito
02-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks, Are there many product offerings outside of Region 1 that are of particular interest to the general public?

02audionoob
02-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Not that I know of. Suppose you moved here from China and brought your movies with you. You'd need either a region-free player or a Region 6 player to watch your movies.

Worf101
02-11-2010, 05:48 AM
Before you plunk down your hard earned on a "cracked" player on Ebay some things to remember.

1. These players were bought then cracked to play all regions by third parties.

2. This cracking probably voided the warranty.

3. You're paying a premium for something you might not need. Buy directly from Oppo or Amazon.com.

4. If you update the firmware on a cracked Blu-Ray player you MIGHT just brick it.

Worf

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-11-2010, 09:39 AM
Before you plunk down your hard earned on a "cracked" player on Ebay some things to remember.

3. You're paying a premium for something you might not need. Buy directly from Oppo or Amazon.com.

4. If you update the firmware on a cracked Blu-Ray player you MIGHT just brick it.

Worf

Actually, #4 should read - You will brick it! As soon as the firmare is loaded, and the bios recognize this player has been tampered with, it will no longer function.

pixelthis
02-11-2010, 01:37 PM

Worf

Nice phrase..."brick it".
Here in the states the term is boat anchor(fill it with cement, use it as a boat anchor).:1:

Worf101
02-12-2010, 04:57 AM
Nice phrase..."brick it".
Here in the states the term is boat anchor(fill it with cement, use it as a boat anchor).:1:
And where do you think I live???!!!! Lower Slobovia??? LOL One of my favorite countries actually!

"Ah Boris, listen to the Balilaikas ringing and the peasants singing and the bullets pinging...."

Worf

nightflier
02-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Your best option if you need to watch non-region 1 movies, is to buy an inexpensive player that is region free, and keep a better player for most of the rest of the movies. Then don't update the firmware on the cheap player.

pixelthis
02-12-2010, 01:44 PM
And where do you think I live???!!!! Lower Slobovia??? LOL One of my favorite countries actually!

"Ah Boris, listen to the Balilaikas ringing and the peasants singing and the bullets pinging...."

Worf

You come across to me as a Limey.
Sorry, but theres worse things...
Give me a minute....:1:

canuckle
02-12-2010, 11:06 PM
Response from Oppo regarding the readily-available hardware patch that makes the 80 and 83 Region-free:

They are safe to install.

Technically they void the warranty, but we have never denied a customer service due to modifications. We may remove the mod (if necessary for a repair) but that is it.

Actually, #4 should read - You will brick it! As soon as the firmare is loaded, and the bios recognize this player has been tampered with, it will no longer function.
That statement is completely, 100% false. I test-drove the Region-free-hacked firmware with absolutely no problems.