Calibration [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Calibration

wirenut26
02-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Can I calibrate my own system. I dont know about all the menu buttons on the klipsch bass speaker. Bill

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Can I calibrate my own system. I dont know about all the menu buttons on the klipsch bass speaker. Bill

Yes you can calibrate your own system if you have the necessary tools, and an ability to understand the reading of a RTA measurement.

What Klipsch sub woofer do you have?

wirenut26
02-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Yes you can calibrate your own system if you have the necessary tools, and an ability to understand the reading of a RTA measurement.

What Klipsch sub woofer do you have? RW-12D

wirenut26
02-10-2010, 08:36 AM
I have a RW-12D

bfalls
02-11-2010, 06:34 AM
The explanation of the settings in the manual don't seem too involved.

Volume - Adjust it to proportion the low-end with the level of the rest of the system.

EQ - Punch/Depth/Flat Depth emphasizes the 30Hz region, Punch emphasizes the 60Hz region, Flat is flat with no emphasis. Adjust it to your taste.

Lowpass - (40Hz-120Hz) Adjusts the sub to your main speakers. It determines the freq. where you want the sub to take over. If you have small bookshelf/satellites which only go down to 70Hz, you'll adjust it higher. If you have full-range mains adjust it lower. Make the adjustment where you get a smooth overall freq response.

Phase - (0-180 degrees) depending on sub location in the room and listening position, the sub could be out-of-phase with the mains. The phase difference may cause cancellation of bass frequencies between the mains and sub. Listen first at 0, then 180 and determine where the bass is more prominent. If there isn't much difference, fine tune by adjusting the smaller increments from 0-180 until you get the best results.

Some of the adjustments may be interactive, such as level and phase. If the phase adjustment causes more bass you may need to adjust the level to compensate. The sub allows you to save three settings for Movie, Music and Night. You may want more bass level for Movies, less for Night listening, flatter response for music. Just read the manual, it's all in there.