Help! I keep buying vinyl!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help! I keep buying vinyl!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Hairsonfire
02-09-2010, 01:22 PM
It's like a sickness! Ever since I bought I turntable I am like a junkie! I walk into the record store and comb through all the records and put those I am interested in off to the side until I have checked out every single one and then of those I pick the ones I absolutely HAVE to have. I am trying not to replicate my entire CD Collection but some are just too good to pass up. In a twist of irony today I purchased Synchronicity by the Police and remembered that when I bought my very first CD Player back in 1985, Synchronicity was the very first CD that I ever bought! Arrrrrrhhhhhggggggg Some body HELP ME!!!! LOL! I love this stuff. I also picked up Dark Side of the Moon and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

poppachubby
02-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Are you buying new or used? I can relate. Wait til you hit that used mother load. You'll need that excitement and enthusiasm to get you through cleaning 100 LP's...

harley .guy07
02-09-2010, 01:49 PM
yeah I was at the main music store here in joplin and the had a metric ton of vinyl and had plenty of titles I love and it make me want to hurry up and get my damn table done and start jammin. But I guess good things come to people that take their time and do it right and make the right decisions. But at least I know that I now have a good place to find good titles in the small town of Joplin

02audionoob
02-09-2010, 04:19 PM
I was in a shop today and apparently someone with the same musical tastes as I had in the 70s had just dropped off their collection. The New Arrivals bin was filled with near-mint Nazareth, Boston, Led Zeppelin, ELO, Heart, Van Halen, Blue Oyster Cult, and the like. I was tempted to buy probably 20 of them, mostly to upgrade in condition...some of mine are worn from a poor turntable. I ultimately decided against all but two of them and headed to the jazz section. I came up with five Verve, Impulse, Mercury, Columbia and Blue Note so I was good to go. All were $2.98 each, as is typical for this particular store. A good day.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4016/4344992764_83755a47bd.jpg

Hairsonfire
02-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Ha ha, that's how new I am to this vinly world. I have only bought new records and have not had that experience yet. I did get some used records from Salvation Army a long time ago (years) and I must have been very lucky because they look like and sound like they have never been played. It was only about 25 or so all together, all classical and jazz, but, still, what are the odds of someone giving away totally unused records? Hey, Harley Guy, where is Joplin? Looks like the East Coast (and Rhode Island where I live) is going to get slammed with snow so I will have some time to sit and listen to some records tomorrow.

Hey Poppa C - still trying to figure out how to post photos. I am clueless. I know you said I could upload them to my profile but I still have not figured that out!

poppachubby
02-09-2010, 04:25 PM
I was in a shop today and apparently someone with the same musical tastes as I had in the 70s had just dropped off their collection. The New Arrivals bin was filled with near-mint Nazareth, Boston, Led Zeppelin, ELO, Heart, Van Halen, Blue Oyster Cult, and the like. I was tempted to buy probably 20 of them, mostly to upgrade in condition...some of mine are worn from a poor turntable. I ultimately decided against all but two of them and headed to the jazz section. I came up with five Verve, Impulse, Mercury, Columbia and Blue Note so I was good to go. All were $2.98 each, as is typical for this particular store. A good day.

Ummmm...titles please!

poppachubby
02-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Hey Poppa C - still trying to figure out how to post photos. I am clueless. I know you said I could upload them to my profile but I still have not figured that out!

Go to flickr.com and start an account. Once you have some pics loaded it's quite easy to link them here. Let me know once you have the acc't.

02audionoob
02-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Ha ha, that's how new I am to this vinly world. I have only bought new records and have not had that experience yet. I did get some used records from Salvation Army a long time ago (years) and I must have been very lucky because they look like and sound like they have never been played. It was only about 25 or so all together, all classical and jazz, but, still, what are the odds of someone giving away totally unused records? Hey, Harley Guy, where is Joplin? Looks like the East Coast (and Rhode Island where I live) is going to get slammed with snow so I will have some time to sit and listen to some records tomorrow.

The odds of someone giving away near-mint LPs at the onset of the Compact Disc are pretty good. I'll bet a great many unplayed records from the mail-order record clubs went to Salvation Army and Goodwill.

Ummmm...titles please!

I have now edited and posted a picture. Maybe we should post all of our newly-acquired vinyl here from now on.

poppachubby
02-09-2010, 05:14 PM
I have now edited and posted a picture. Maybe we should post all of our newly-acquired vinyl here from now on.

Sounds Good!! DaNG, THAT'S A HUGE HAUL! Is that the Cars in the background?

jrhymeammo
02-09-2010, 05:15 PM

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4016/4344992764_83755a47bd.jpg

That is a great score!!!

02audionoob
02-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Sounds Good!! DaNG, THAT'S A HUGE HAUL! Is that the Cars in the background?

Candy-O has that unforgettable cover, huh?

That is a great score!!!

...and the thing I love about that store is they don't put high price tags on the good stuff. A classic jazz album can be just as cheap as a pop album. That means you have to be fast, though.

cwood74
02-10-2010, 06:00 PM
You've got a problem?! For every Young-Holt Unlimited gem, I have a Don Johnson (yes, that Don Johnson) embarrassment. When it's a buck, it's hard to walk away if for no other reason than to say you own something that ridiculous.

JoeE SP9
02-11-2010, 03:52 PM
You guys came to the party late. In the 80's when "perfect sound forever" was released I was buying vinyl from people who bought into the myth. I more than tripled my vinyl collection in a two year period. Most the additions were from "audiophiles" dumping vinyl for CD.
I didn't have to go to GW or a "Thrift Store". I would go to a friends home and pick what I wanted from collections that were well cared for. Three or four bucks apiece was what I payed for pristine vinyl.
I still check GW and other places periodically. It's a lot more work now and the stuff usually needs serious cleaning. The "Spin Clean" is the cheapest thing I've heard of for cleaning vinyl. You can get one for $60 or get the complete system (extra everything) for $100. I'm ordering one.

I even clean new vinyl.

See the review link below.
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0110/spin_clean_record_cleaner.htm

Get it here.
http://www.spincleanrecordwasher.com/products-record.html

The only thing I have concerning Don Johnson is his picture on the Miami Vice soundtrack LP.

02audionoob
02-11-2010, 03:58 PM
In around 1990, a co-worker was getting out of vinyl (and tape). He offered to let me have any of his 200 or so classic jazz LPs (for free) I wanted before he took them to sell. I chose only 20 or so. To this day, I still kick myself. I didn't have the money to pay him a fair price for the whole batch but was too shy to take any more than I did.

JoeE SP9
02-11-2010, 04:05 PM
That was a very nice thing to do. I'll bet that 20 or so you took off his hands are ones you still play and treasure today.

poppachubby
02-11-2010, 05:05 PM
In around 1990, a co-worker was getting out of vinyl (and tape). He offered to let me have any of his 200 or so classic jazz LPs (for free) I wanted before he took them to sell. I chose only 20 or so. To this day, I still kick myself. I didn't have the money to pay him a fair price for the whole batch but was too shy to take any more than I did.

I would have tore through that mofo like a Tazmanian Devil. There would have been no evidence that an LP was ever there...

poppachubby
02-11-2010, 05:11 PM
You guys came to the party late. In the 80's...

Hey man, cut me some slack. I was born in '77.

JoeE SP9
02-11-2010, 05:35 PM
I would have tore through that mofo like a Tazmanian Devil. There would have been no evidence that an LP was ever there...

You say you were born in 77! You must have been born with an old ear or something. I did say you came late to the party. Not your fault just the draw.
I too would have grabbed all of them and If necessary promised payment at a later date.

audio amateur
02-12-2010, 08:16 AM
It's like a sickness! Ever since I bought I turntable I am like a junkie! I walk into the record store and comb through all the records and put those I am interested in off to the side until I have checked out every single one and then of those I pick the ones I absolutely HAVE to have. I am trying not to replicate my entire CD Collection but some are just too good to pass up. In a twist of irony today I purchased Synchronicity by the Police and remembered that when I bought my very first CD Player back in 1985, Synchronicity was the very first CD that I ever bought! Arrrrrrhhhhhggggggg Some body HELP ME!!!! LOL! I love this stuff. I also picked up Dark Side of the Moon and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.
Why do you need help? Keep it up man! :D

poppachubby
02-13-2010, 11:51 AM
...there's a record show in town tommorrow. Didn't want to go overboard today.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2706/4353699239_e8dfc2b614_b.jpg

02audionoob
02-13-2010, 05:56 PM
I stopped by the place with the $2.98 records again, today, just for a few minutes...came away with this...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4067/4355215422_c9d90d802f_o.jpg

I think I'm gonna dig that DVD. I can't believe a Columbia 6-eye (the Brubeck) can be priced $2.98, but hey...that's the way they do it. Brubeck: $2.98. Streisand: $2.98. Liberace: $2.98.

hifitommy
02-13-2010, 06:08 PM
i was just leaving my ex-wife then. ahhhhhhhhh what a breath of fresh air !!! i was 33yo and not getting any younger. the marriage was ded ded ded from the beginning.

i met a wonderful girl and after 21/2 years of divorce/child settlement, we proceeded with our own venture. she also loved music and when i came in town with the audio equipment, she adapted right away.

on a saturday afternoon i came home after working at the hospital til noon. the night before i had put up my little celestion county speakers on top of my infiintiy monitor jrs and when i arrived, she had disconnected them (banana plugs) and the infinities were playing fleetwood mac on the teac open reel (which hadnt been loaded with tape when i left) !!! she had done all that without instruction.

she passed away in early '93 and MAN i miss her a lot. she was part and parcel of the fact that the audio dominated the living room.

dean_martin
02-13-2010, 08:34 PM
i was just leaving my ex-wife then. ahhhhhhhhh what a breath of fresh air !!! i was 33yo and not getting any younger. the marriage was ded ded ded from the beginning.

i met a wonderful girl and after 21/2 years of divorce/child settlement, we proceeded with our own venture. she also loved music and when i came in town with the audio equipment, she adapted right away.

on a saturday afternoon i came home after working at the hospital til noon. the night before i had put up my little celestion county speakers on top of my infiintiy monitor jrs and when i arrived, she had disconnected them (banana plugs) and the infinities were playing fleetwood mac on the teac open reel (which hadnt been loaded with tape when i left) !!! she had done all that without instruction.

she passed away in early '93 and MAN i miss her a lot. she was part and parcel of the fact that the audio dominated the living room.

Hey, man. Sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharin'. Sounds like you have some great memories of good times.

hifitommy
02-13-2010, 08:36 PM
we had a local 'yard sale' where the guy had many hundreds of LPs available at $0.50 and my non LP purchase for two bucks was the chet baker VHS of 'lets get lost', the documentary featuring him in person.

later when i checked it on the computer it was going for $80 !

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019J2UAE/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00005JKPQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=185E0YF8Z8H6PG68ST4A

above is a dvd for $26 and below, you wont believe:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00005JKPQ/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

its certainly wort a view as a video but at what cost?

poppachubby
02-14-2010, 05:49 AM
Great story Tommy. It goes to show that companionship is what it's all about. A marriage without it, is doomed. My wife and I spent 8 years together before deciding to get married. Life is busy but we still have fun.

I feel sorry for guys on here who talk all tough when it comes to their spouse. Would rather have an oversized speaker and a marriage pending divorce, than a happy home.

BTW, here's where I will be today...

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/100126/357r6/51039c7_20.jpeg

hifitommy
02-14-2010, 10:40 AM
yup,

no need to go around moping. i have the good memories and we had two beautiful children.

she even insisted i hook up the dynaquad after a move. it adds just the right amount of fullness and subtle ambience to the music.

harley .guy07
02-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Hey man, cut me some slack. I was born in '77.

I did not realize you were around my age. I was born in 74 so I am just a wee bit older but it is nice to see someone with like interests that is around my age. We both know about the new theater stuff but our passion resides in the world of simple two channel music bliss weather it be a old golden tube amp powering some vintage Sound Dynamics or My 17 year old Adcom 545 Mk2 powering some 16 year old highly modified Paradigm Monitor 7's but that is just two people's system with a slightly different approach but with the same target in mind.

poppachubby
02-14-2010, 12:43 PM
OK fellas, did really well today...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4041/4357334716_1d53b06aaa.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4054/4357337196_95af789afc.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4016/4356592257_9fab223656.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4003/4357341454_ef413959ed.jpg

Here's a couple of winners, first Marvin Gaye 3 LP anthology complete with booklet, original Motown:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4002/4357344054_788d59b96a.jpg

Second, speeches from WWII, Nazi style. Believe me, I'm not a Nazi...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/4356599429_826a99d9f1.jpg

02audionoob
02-14-2010, 11:03 PM
Looks like a great haul, Chubbs. You are a record-show master. I have many of those, and want most of the others. I'll pass on the Fuhrer's greatest hits, though. :crazy:

Following up with a conversation we had in pm one day, I'd be interested in what you think of the sound quality of Ghost In The Machine. I complimented the quality of the vinyl produced by The Police and I think you weren't impressed by Regatta de Blanc.

poppachubby
02-15-2010, 02:29 AM
Haven't spun The Police yet. The Marsalis was dissapointing, I should have looked closer. He's playing classical songs, quite boring. The Louis Armstrong is really noisy also. As for the Nazi LP, it gets filed with my other odds and ends such as my disco instructional, complete with book and my Jimmy Swaggart.

The Enya sounds great. The Sade and Robbie Robertson are also super clean and quiet.

02audionoob
02-15-2010, 07:02 AM
The noisy Louis Armstrong record could be a mono. If that's the case, it might sound better in a system that can be switched to mono. It also might benefit from being played with a larger stylus. I use a 1.0 mil conical stylus (Ortofon Pro S) on my mono records.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2730/4359577398_0a2ebb55c1_t.jpg

poppachubby
02-15-2010, 08:17 AM
You must be right. There's nothing on the cover or album to suggest it's stereo. I pulled it out of a dollar bin, I overlooked it during the frenzy of elbowing people out of the way and stuffing my bag full.

God damn I have 23 carts and stylii right now, I can't imagine another...

BTW, the Benson count is now up to 12 and I still have to get White Rabbit. I am going to start grabbing some Freddie Hubbard. He's a Benson CTI label mate, excellent trumpeter. Check the box for a good Hubbard album, I know you love trumpet.

poppachubby
02-21-2010, 03:15 AM
...a buck each. Excuse the photography.

02audionoob
02-21-2010, 07:31 AM
Does that say "torch time"? I bet I'd be diggin' that one.

poppachubby
02-21-2010, 09:41 AM
Does that say "torch time"? I bet I'd be diggin' that one.

Yes man, it's Torch Time by The Ink Spots. I know, the photo is a waste. Every vocal recording I buy I think of whether you would like it or not.

"Will it meet his standards?"

"Will this finally be the LP that makes him think I'm cool?"

I'm actually hoping to get some money for it. Might go to the local shop with an armful for trade. Depends what he's got.
[/IMG]

02audionoob
02-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Yes man, it's Torch Time by The Ink Spots. I know, the photo is a waste. Every vocal recording I buy I think of whether you would like it or not.

"Will it meet his standards?"

"Will this finally be the LP that makes him think I'm cool?"

I'm actually hoping to get some money for it. Might go to the local shop with an armful for trade. Depends what he's got. BTW, I have an excellent CD of Peter Malick f. Norah Jones. You want a copy?

Now you know I thought you were cool a long time ago. I have the Peter Malick CD, but thanks for asking.

hifitommy
02-21-2010, 01:17 PM
well, music in all forms but vinyl is a strong addiction too. yesterday i went to record surplus in west LA and scored nicely:

first i saw rob wasserman's "solo" for $5 but passed it by but then there way 'duets' which i have on CD for 3 so i backtracked to the solo and snagged that too. the duets is a promo, BONUS !

ialready had in hand maria muldaur 'there is a love' for 3 (i pretty much buy everything by her, the personnel lists are always awesome). the i found the paul desmond quartet featuring jiim hall, percy heath, and connie kay 'east of the sun'.

solo\
wassserman
duets/

desmond-east of the sun

muldaur-there is a love

not bad for $14 being that they are all in excellent shape.

plus a cd of mickey hart-global drum project-$8. i LOVE record surplus.

oh i forgot to add that i already have the cd trios by rob and it is always cheeeep (dont know why) but i doubt i will ever find vinyl of that title. but you never know.

poppachubby
02-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Let's see some pics Thomas. C'mon, I know you have it in ya!

poppachubby
02-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Little pick up today. Linda Rondstadt's first band...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2803/4382452513_170eeeca1f.jpg

02audionoob
02-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Chubbs...it looks almost like you've been raiding my collection. Here's my score for today...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2796/4383500976_87020e7daa_o.jpg

poppachubby
02-28-2010, 01:04 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2794/4396182180_87590270fb.jpg

poppachubby
03-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Since only a couple of us even look at this thread, I'm making my pictures large.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/4414812660_b9c3977e7e_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4041/4414810384_9bc25ec459_b.jpg

02audionoob
03-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Wow thats seems really interesting. Thanks for sharing ...

You're like Whac-a-mole, huh?

02audionoob
03-09-2010, 08:02 PM
I paid a dollar each for these. On some of them, I overpaid. I was feeling reckless. I was torn between these six and just putting them all back in favor of a June Christy CD priced at $5.98. I guess Robbie carried the day.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4030/4421738876_6935ebc1c6_o.jpg

poppachubby
03-10-2010, 02:57 AM
Looks good. Any copy I've had of that Robertson S/T has sounded great, worth $6 if it's in decent shape.

hifitommy
03-10-2010, 06:11 AM
noob,

i first got that on cd and was quite taken. about a year later i came across the LP and once again was pleased and amazed at how much better it sounds than an already good sounding CD. some very good rock and roll there too.

theres a video of 'somewhere down that crazy river' that is quite different from what i visualized in my head. of course, my visualization is better than their video.

the captain and me is a pretty good demo album. the cut 'china grove' was one i used to demo janszen 412hp loudspeakers to the salesmen in a shop i frequented in the late 70s. after adjusting the ES tweets to normal from full blast, one of the sales guys realized he had bought the wrong speakers (RTRs instead of the janszens). the janszens were XLNT ! the equivalent of AR3a woofers coupled with a four panel array of the ES tweets. it was the kick drum/bass guitar duel that was the defining factor., coupled with the accompanying electric guitar work.

poppachubby
03-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Hey Tommy check your email.

slate1
03-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Good score noob - especially at a buck a piece! "The Captain and Me" would have been worth $5 for me if it were in good shape.

scrivens
03-11-2010, 07:12 AM
Sickness is when you start buying rare pressings in the £150-300 range on a regular basis and spare copies

My bank manager hates me

02audionoob
03-11-2010, 08:43 AM
I thought at first The Captain and Me was going to be the one failure of the bunch...but it's finally clean. It would have been mildly frustrating if it hadn't come clean, since this one was to replace one I threw out because I couldn't get it clean.

The Quarterflash record has groove damage across the middle of the 3rd track, but at least whoever damaged the record chose the weakest song on the record to do it.

I might once again be guilty of buying a record for the cover, since I already have that Bonnie Raitt album on CD. CDs are just so dang small.

slate1
03-11-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm at a point now where I'm just out of room to store the damned things. I've started culling stuff out of the main shelves and putting them in boxes. It's really hard for me to pass up $1 or less records... but I'm sad to say that I'm kind of at a point that unless they are stone-mint looking I don't even bother.

The good thing is that we're on track to building a dedicated listening room this fall. If that happens, I have a fresh batch of Ikea Expedit shelves in my future! Once that happens I'll have fresh space to conquer!

slate1
03-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Sickness is when you start buying rare pressings in the £150-300 range on a regular basis and spare copies

My bank manager hates me

I routinely did that in the late 90's / early 00's.

In the mid-90's I had one of the world's largest collections of NWOBHM singles - I say that with absolute humility, it's just something that happened and was primarily due to the fact that I had an avenue here in the US in the late 70's early 80's to acquire a lot of them. Many of the genre's 7" singles routinely sold for $500+ in the late 90's and I bought and sold a LOT of them then. I sold my entire collection in 2003 to a fellow in the UK.

For those who are unfamiliar, the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal was an underground music movement in the UK from about 1978-1982. (The "heavy metal" part is a bit of a misnomer as most of the music that falls under this genre is really just hard-rock akin to 70's bands like Thin Lizzy, Moxy, et al.)

Almost all of the releases from the genre were self-produced, self financed affairs in very limited numbers. A band like, Bleak House, for example would rent time in a studio, lay down 2 or 3 tracks essentially live, have 100 or so pressed by some local fly-by-night pressing plant, and sell them at their gigs. Needless to say, a lot of these releases are astoundingly rare and numerous are astoundingly good!

poppachubby
03-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Good shape

scrivens
03-12-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm at a point now where I'm just out of room to store the damned things. I've started culling stuff out of the main shelves and putting them in boxes. It's really hard for me to pass up $1 or less records... but I'm sad to say that I'm kind of at a point that unless they are stone-mint looking I don't even bother.

The good thing is that we're on track to building a dedicated listening room this fall. If that happens, I have a fresh batch of Ikea Expedit shelves in my future! Once that happens I'll have fresh space to conquer!

yes!

I bought a copy of Earth harmony by Hokus Poke in the 70's when I was a student. Vertigo with the swirly label. the band released one album, they were a typical German-touring British band, sounding a little like the Yardbirds.......cost £1.99 off a fellow student, now worth £150....

I Just wish that I had bought more then..and fewer now

poppachubby
03-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Blue Note reissue, Benson for listening....brand new, sealed Hubbard, sounds amazing...$16.99 worth every penny!

daviethek
03-22-2010, 11:23 AM
As a member of the St. Vincent DePaul record of the month club, I can relate to the poisonous new hobby. I have cleaned out the record bins of all local thrift shops and made my way to Jerry's, the mecca and possibly medina of LP's in Pittsburgh. 2 million LP's and sever hundered thousand classical. Yikes. My kids aren't gonna get any of my dough now.

squeegy200
03-23-2010, 09:36 AM
The noisy Louis Armstrong record could be a mono. If that's the case, it might sound better in a system that can be switched to mono. It also might benefit from being played with a larger stylus. I use a 1.0 mil conical stylus (Ortofon Pro S) on my mono records.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2730/4359577398_0a2ebb55c1_t.jpg

I thought about setting up a Mono system. I have a Dual with 78 capability on my workbench waiting to be restored and a Bogen DB 130 integrated Amp that is specific to mono 78 playback.

I've also acquired a handful of 78 records from estate sales. I've never listened to them. I guess its time to start

hifitommy
03-23-2010, 03:59 PM
about a year and a half ago i gave away maybe 200 12" 78s all classical, lots of good orchs and conds. i gave 'em to nubz on AA, he was the only one to respond that wouldnt have required a backbreaking shipping job. there was a small handful of 10" pop records too.

too bad you werent in the market then. free is ALWAYS good. when my friend who gave them to me did so, she didnt mention they were 78s, and they looked like LPs but they werent. even record surplus didnt want them.

02audionoob
03-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Perused a few record stores in Austin, today. Came home with these for just shy of 14 greenbacks...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4461848208_f54b5fc87b_o.jpg

poppachubby
03-25-2010, 02:13 AM
Well done, I should have known you were up to something.

poppachubby
03-25-2010, 08:13 PM
Tonight, a battle was fought between a Shure M97xe, Technics headshell and a mirrored protractor. After 35 minutes, it was a fight worth fighting. 99.99% perfect alignment...so worth it!

:21:

02audionoob
03-25-2010, 08:26 PM
With a Technics, the recommended position is with the cartridge parallel to the headshell and the stylus 52 mm from the back of the washer on the headshell...measured horizontally. But some do favor the protractor alignment.

02audionoob
03-29-2010, 01:48 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4015/4473919347_8784731c49.jpg

poppachubby
04-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Seller is a DJ. 4 double LP's including a fantastic Isley Bros. 1 LP and the balance EP's. Sounds so impressive. Super minty and clean. I'm really enjoying hip hop on my system for a change. The bass response is a thrill.

poppachubby
04-17-2010, 09:27 AM
Happy Record Store Day!!

Local shop was having a great sale today. The place was jammed. Proper re-issues reduced to $15. Also, buy 3 get 1 free. I snagged a used original of Crystal Silence...

sounds fantastic on my high fidelity stereophonic playback system. Phonographs rule!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4072/4528789542_daf3eabaea_b.jpg

hifitommy
04-17-2010, 09:56 AM
great pickups. gettin your good straight ahead base.

poppachubby
04-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Hey Tommy, good to hear from you. I sent you a couple of emails with no reply! Anyhow, the EICO is everything it promised to be and more. The Creek OBH-18 ended up being a wonderful trade. I have it inputted into the EICO line stage, dead quiet. Imagine my relief. The only dissapointment is the RIAA is awful on the EICO. It will require some work to get 47k of gain.

The other area I'm finding tricky, is the seperate gains for each channel. It's become quite evident that an SPL meter is the only way to really be certain. I will have to go and get one. I still have to get a voltmeter, mine is busted.

The local shop has alot more great standards, it was tough to choose. I have been listening to alot of Mobley lately, and it turns out they have a superior selection. All under $20...$16.99. On a more current, kill your parents, f*&k the world vibe...they had the latest Mastodon album with Ltd Ed. artwork etc.

poppachubby
05-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Scored at AKFest. The whole lot for $20. All are NM except the Metheny 80/81, it's fully mint, both cover and vinyl. What a joy to listen to...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4007/4569430523_8bc6e59b9e.jpg

basite
05-02-2010, 02:01 AM
just got a sealed original album 'the great ray charles', together with a few kenny burrell albums, all originals, some on verve, some blue note including a japanese print of "midnight blue"!! :)

together with some other records, all are in great shape, will post pic :)

Enochrome
05-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Here's but a few samples of my thrift store spending sprees of the last few weeks. I need to officially obstain from purchases for the summer. ITS GETTING CRAZY!!!!!!!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3629/4593658911_2c361910d9_m.jpg

Those were the exotica type finds, I love the "Shock" record by The Creed Taylor Orchestra ( who later founded CTI records I believe)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1215/4593658789_590e44cee3_m.jpg

Like the Bob James ( but it's scratchy) and the Ella Fitzgerald original Verve issue.

Here's some Mono LP's I found at the SA; they sound amazing I love the George Jones

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4044/4593688013_14403df44f_m.jpg

Enochrome
05-09-2010, 07:02 PM
I can't get those crazy large image sizes that Poppachubby gets. How do you do that? I try to set the image size to large, but it seems like it might be this site that is compressing them?

poppachubby
05-09-2010, 09:51 PM
I can't get those crazy large image sizes that Poppachubby gets. How do you do that? I try to set the image size to large, but it seems like it might be this site that is compressing them?

I use Flickr and link the pics.

frenchmon
05-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Scored at AKFest. The whole lot for $20. All are NM except the Metheny 80/81, it's fully mint, both cover and vinyl. What a joy to listen to...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4007/4569430523_8bc6e59b9e.jpg

I use to have both the Pat Metheny albums back in the day before I sold all my albums. THe 80/81 is really a good one...I think he has the late Dewey Redman playing on sax...he is the father of award winning sax player Joshua Reman. There was nothing like Keith Jarrett, Paul Motian/Jack Dejonnette Charlie Haden and Dewey Redman back in the late 70'early 80's. IF you can find any of that stuff and really enjoy it...then you are a true jazz fan.

frenchmon

frenchmon
05-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Blue Note reissue, Benson for listening....brand new, sealed Hubbard, sounds amazing...$16.99 worth every penny!

poppaC...I am so jealous of you right now I dont know what to do...you and all those nice Jazz albums you score. Back in the 80's I did the same thing until I sold it all....boy was that the wrong thing to do.

frenchmon

frenchmon
05-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Good score noob - especially at a buck a piece! "The Captain and Me" would have been worth $5 for me if it were in good shape.

Is this a mod Technics table? Looks like you changed everything in it....got a pciture of it?

KAB SL-1200MK2SE Turntable: KAB Cardas Tonearm Rewire - DIN / Fluid Damper / Outboard PSU / RC-1200MK2 Clamp / Isonoe Feet · Shure V15VMR Cartridge w/ Jico SAS Stylus

frenchmon

frenchmon
05-10-2010, 01:45 PM
PoppaC do you have this one???

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8224/593967827480.jpg (http://img580.imageshack.us/i/593967827480.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

poppachubby
05-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Frenchie I don't have any Byrd albums. He is a sideman on a few I own. The Technics question you have...KAB is a company that focuses on analog products. They offer SL1200 owners a complete upgrade of their decks, for a price. There are mixed reviews on this but for the most part the 1200 community love KAB.

You know what i am looking for on vinyl, a copy of Mingus in 93 at Times Square live. They did a legendary version of Moanin with Ronnie Cuber on bari sax. Pepper Adams played the studio version. Listen to this version and try not to fall in love with it...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/__OSyznVDOY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/__OSyznVDOY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Enochrome
05-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Picked up some jazz goodies. The Ellington from The Salvation Army for $2 and the Chico Hamilton record (which I owned before) for $9 from my local shop, Poobah's in Pasadena,CA.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1291/4600587076_7763e2f3a4_m.jpg

Love Poobah's! Their prices are reasonable, the same as the prices were before most of the record stores went under.

hifitommy
05-11-2010, 08:09 PM
is a delight for record collectors like myself and the rest of us lucky dogs that live here. dont forget freak beat records on ventura blvd in sherman oaks and cd trader in reseda.

i have also recently been to penny lane on colorado, and may just have to give a visit to canterbury near lake.

hey poppa, when you visit, yer gonna go nutz.

poppachubby
05-11-2010, 09:09 PM
hey poppa, when you visit, yer gonna go nutz.

I will pre-book a rail car to bring home the score.

poppachubby
05-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Oh boy. A friend just stopped by with a gift for me. His older brother abandoned these puppies years ago, and they just resurfaced at his mom's place. The Zoot Allures is literally in new condition, it appears unplayed and let me tell you, it sounds amazing. Mothers of Invention at the Filmore is a great album, but I'm unimpressed with the quality of the pressing.

On second thought, Joe's Garage is one of those albums that renews my faith in this format. Recorded perfectly of course, and pressed so wonderfully. Just amazing...gotta look for more Zappa on vinyl.

poppachubby
05-27-2010, 01:31 AM
Another excellent score courtesy of my buddy's older brother. More Zappa. The ACDC is a Canadian original pressing and the Judas Priest is just shy of mint, looks unplayed.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3384/4643884235_d28da04812.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3347/4644498224_f689db1808.jpg

Enochrome
05-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Poppa!! I want that Judas Priest album!!!!!

Nice acquisition!

I wonder if it is just me, or if you have the same experience ( or anyone on this forum), that Heavy Metal records are really hard to come across? I think they are hard to come by, because the fans are so die hard. I've been looking for some original Ozzy and have no luck.

02audionoob
05-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Went to a record show. Not a great one, but I suppose worth the trip. I passed on the one record I wanted most. It was covered in big, hardened, greasy-looking fingerprints but otherwise in NM condition. Here are the ones I didn't pass up.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4016/4646139895_a420f3749d_o.jpg

poppachubby
05-27-2010, 08:12 PM
Well done noob. I thought you had Something Cool?

02audionoob
05-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Well done noob. I thought you had Something Cool?

Yes...but found a NM mono.

poppachubby
05-28-2010, 03:34 AM
Let's not discuss mono.

I bet you that Madonna sounds great. Some of those pop albums are amazing. My Bowie Lets Dance and Prince Lovesexy are 2 of the best I have, they FAAAAR exceed any CD.

frenchmon
05-28-2010, 06:41 AM
Went to a record show. Not a great one, but I suppose worth the trip. I passed on the one record I wanted most. It was covered in big, hardened, greasy-looking fingerprints but otherwise in NM condition. Here are the ones I didn't pass up.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4016/4646139895_a420f3749d_o.jpg

IS Paul Desmond on the Brubeck Album?

frenchmon
05-28-2010, 06:43 AM
Let's not discuss mono.

I bet you that Madonna sounds great. Some of those pop albums are amazing. My Bowie Lets Dance and Prince Lovesexy are 2 of the best I have, they FAAAAR exceed any CD.

Nothing wrong with mono...if you have good gear.

frenchmon
05-28-2010, 06:58 AM
Check out this 1986 release that was in my dad's collection. It has early Hooker from 1954 with no other band members...just him playing singing and taping his foot...excellent stuff and the album is in really good shape.http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/8827/41gjstbewplsl500aa30078.jpg (http://img267.imageshack.us/i/41gjstbewplsl500aa30078.jpg/)

02audionoob
05-28-2010, 02:23 PM
IS Paul Desmond on the Brubeck Album?

Yes, indeed.

Let's not discuss mono.

The Madonna record actually does sound very good. It's also in perfect condition. Not even the smallest flaw to be found, anywhere.

I used to avoid mono. Now if I have a stereo version of something that came out on mono, I'll sometimes get the mono, too.

Enochrome
05-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Sometimes the vocals sound much better on a Mono record, because they mixed them to sit more forward in the mix, while trying to accomplish the difficult task of having the rest of the instruments stand out. My original Sam Cooke mono copy sounds so good I could never listen to another version.

frenchmon
05-28-2010, 04:23 PM
I have a few CD's that I think are mono.

Enochrome
05-28-2010, 04:31 PM
I'd love the hear the new remastered mono Beatles albums.

frenchmon
05-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Yes, indeed.

MY man!

poppachubby
05-28-2010, 08:31 PM
All free!!! Original and most importantly, near mint. I was almost in tears receiving the Humble Pie at the Filmore. It's literally mint, the vinyl looks unused. I have been looking for that for a LONG time, and here it just fell into my lap. It's oh so beautiful, and it's all mine. With the condition of these, at least a couple hundred bucks combined. SCORE!!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4010/4648700133_2d46baf9d4.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/4648698767_8366932d9a.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4019/4649314466_a33b1d30f5.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4005/4648696157_a9323bd3f2.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4050/4648694669_e3c96a69d9.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4028/4649310442_4d77be3ea8.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/4649309202_b77b89f824.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4061/4648690899_7c0ee54645.jpg

Enochrome
05-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Poppa,

I covet your goods. You have such eclectic taste and collection. Man, that Motorhead and Maiden must rock!!!!How is that Page, Clapton, Beck record? I have heard about it but never heard it . I saw some short film footage of them making it and they looked totally trashed :)
I always think that if someone has a varied music collection that they must be alright in the head. (audionoob might need to verify that or frenchmon)

Great pics!! I gotta post my recent thrift store finds and pose an interesting question.

02audionoob
05-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Poppa,

I covet your goods. You have such eclectic taste and collection. Man, that Motorhead and Maiden must rock!!!!How is that Page, Clapton, Beck record? I have heard about it but never heard it . I saw some short film footage of them making it and they looked totally trashed :)
I always think that if someone has a varied music collection that they must be alright in the head. (audionoob might need to verify that or frenchmon)

Great pics!! I gotta post my recent thrift store finds and pose an interesting question.

Chubbs, If you need anyone to vouch that you're alright in the head, just give me a call.

poppachubby
05-29-2010, 06:09 AM
Thanks Eno, and noob for the references. I am just warming up the tubes now. Yes I do enjoy several styles of music. I am a bass player, I think this helps. I am washing up the Humble Pie but I'll let you know about the Guitar Boogie LP. I suspect it's shoddy recording, but we'll see. Frank Marino is another one I'm very excited to have, that's going on first followed by Humble Pie. My wife is not amused.

poppachubby
05-29-2010, 06:36 AM
Check out this 1986 release that was in my dad's collection. It has early Hooker from 1954 with no other band members...just him playing singing and taping his foot...excellent stuff and the album is in really good shape.http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/8827/41gjstbewplsl500aa30078.jpg (http://img267.imageshack.us/i/41gjstbewplsl500aa30078.jpg/)

Very nice. Frenchie my buddy has a blues collection on vinyl to die for. I was over there the other day listening to a mint Chess double LP, it's a blues comp from the 1987 Montreux Fest. Amazing. I'll see if he'll part with any and send them your way.

That Hooker looks great, how does it sound?

I scored this on your suggestion. Haven't listened yet but it looks good.

JoeE SP9
05-29-2010, 10:10 AM

Is that your latest toy? I like it.

Enochrome
05-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Does anyone know a good site that has the cheapest prices for plastic outersleeves?

02audionoob
05-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Does anyone know a good site that has the cheapest prices for plastic outersleeves?

How about http://www.sleevetown.com

poppachubby
05-29-2010, 05:23 PM

Doesn't your local shop carry them? If I buy quantity, they give me a break in price.

02audionoob
05-29-2010, 08:29 PM
I just unwrapped a sealed copy of Styx - Pieces of Eight that my wife had when we got together, 20-plus years ago.

Enochrome
05-29-2010, 11:33 PM
My local shops don't carry them. The shops are either too high end or too low end to bother.

frenchmon
05-29-2010, 11:56 PM
I just unwrapped a sealed copy of Styx - Pieces of Eight that my wife had when we got together, 20-plus years ago.

20-plus years ago? I just assumed you where a kool 25-30 year old audio hobbyist...what do I know.

frenchmon
05-29-2010, 11:58 PM
Is that your latest toy? I like it.

No but thinking about getting it in a few months down the road. Wife bought me a Music Hall 2.1 a few weeks ago and it aint bad at all. I was surprised at what turntables could do after not having a TT sense the 80's. Music Hall tables are really Pro-Ject players made for MH. The table in the picture is a Pro-Ject 1 Xpression III....nice carbon fiber arm.

poppachubby
05-30-2010, 05:08 AM
I was just listening to an Expression Mahogany a few days ago. Awesome table. And you're correct, Music Hall don't actually make much. My local shop sells Pro-Ject and you can't even mention Music Hall in there, they all make fun of it.

02audionoob
05-30-2010, 05:50 AM
No but thinking about getting it in a few months down the road. Wife bought me a Music Hall 2.1 a few weeks ago and it aint bad at all. I was surprised at what turntables could do after not having a TT sense the 80's. Music Hall tables are really Pro-Ject players made for MH. The table in the picture is a Pro-Ject 1 Xpression III....nice carbon fiber arm.

I think most people are getting a bit of a misconception about Pro-Ject. They're not making turntables, either. That factory near Prague that makes the Pro-Ject and Music Hall turntables...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4045/4652897770_b704cb32c1.jpg

...has been making turntables since long before their deal with Pro-Ject. In the 1950s, they even made this guy...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4032/4652878838_4a822871ac.jpg

20-plus years ago? I just assumed you where a kool 25-30 year old audio hobbyist...what do I know.

I like to think I'm a kool kat, but I'm not too sure my Styx album is going to git 'er done. :)

Edit: Now I'm cool. Today's top find...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/4654142621_de7bb8f21e.jpg

poppachubby
06-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Nice find noob, looks great. Is that wallet embossed on the cover?

Anyhow, I am here to gloat about my latest haul. Everything cleaned up to reveal mint or near mint. Imagine the sheer joy, listening to an original copy of Highway 61 Revisited as though it was just pressed. Not a single hiss or pop. Sometimes I let out a laugh while listening. No sibilance or hissing so often found on LPs of this vintage. The Zappa and Humble Pie is out of this world.

02audionoob
06-01-2010, 07:49 PM
That thing in the wallet area is a sticker on the outer sleeve it came in...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1269/4662394656_4eb74c691b_b.jpg

poppachubby
06-02-2010, 02:05 AM
Hahaha! I take it you edited the photo? That's too funny, with it's placement it looked like an embossed wallet or pocket for the jeans. Did you buy that new? That's one hell of a sleeve.

frenchmon
06-02-2010, 07:58 AM
I think most people are getting a bit of a misconception about Pro-Ject. They're not making turntables, either. That factory near Prague that makes the Pro-Ject and Music Hall turntables...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4045/4652897770_b704cb32c1.jpg

...has been making turntables since long before their deal with Pro-Ject. In the 1950s, they even made this guy...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4032/4652878838_4a822871ac.jpg

I like to think I'm a kool kat, but I'm not too sure my Styx album is going to git 'er done. :)

Edit: Now I'm cool. Today's top find...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/4654142621_de7bb8f21e.jpg

noob. From what I understand of Pro-Ject, its no different from a lot of companies including those who sell Road Bikes under their names....many of the better bikes are made in the same factory but don't actually own anything. They give their designs to the factory and they build it. Pro-Ject is the biggest client that factory has. This is also true of drivers for speakers. Tymphany a company that owns and manufactures speakers under its own name and manufacturing and owning Peerless speakers...Vifa speakers....Scan Speak speakers before selling , also make speaker drivers for other brand name speaker company's according to that company's specs. One such client of Tymphany is Klipsch. I ran accross that information about Klipsch while researching drivers. I hope no one gets the idea that sense some companies don't actually make their own product then the company is some how less of a real company...that is far from the truth.

hifitommy
06-02-2010, 09:18 AM
"no different from a lot of companies including those who sell Road Bikes under their names...."

hifitommy
06-02-2010, 09:19 AM
"no different from a lot of companies including those who sell Road Bikes under their names...."

same with vw and audi and opel in europe. note the similarity of the seats and knobs etc.

02audionoob
06-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Hahaha! I take it you edited the photo? That's too funny, with it's placement it looked like an embossed wallet or pocket for the jeans. Did you buy that new? That's one hell of a sleeve.

I would guess those stickers are applied by hand and the worker bees must have decided on that spot. Maybe just having a bit of a chuckle at work.

It's a "new" record, in that it was sealed, but I paid $6.91 including tax for it at Half-Price Books, a chain of stores that carries used and overstock books, movies and music. My Wayne Shorter - Adam's Apple came from the same series and in the same type sleeve. It also came from Half-Price, but I don't think it was as cheap as this one.

...I hope no one gets the idea that sense some companies don't actually make their own product then the company is some how less of a real company...that is far from the truth.

That's really what I was getting at. Music Hall isn't less quality than Pro-Ject just because they're the little guy who doesn't own anything.

frenchmon
06-02-2010, 04:50 PM
I would guess those stickers are applied by hand and the worker bees must have decided on that spot. Maybe just having a bit of a chuckle at work.

It's a "new" record, in that it was sealed, but I paid $6.91 including tax for it at Half-Price Books, a chain of stores that carries used and overstock books, movies and music. My Wayne Shorter - Adam's Apple came from the same series and in the same type sleeve. It also came from Half-Price, but I don't think it was as cheap as this one.

That's really what I was getting at. Music Hall isn't less quality than Pro-Ject just because they're the little guy who doesn't own anything.

noob...I just went to the web site half-price books. Unbelievable prices on their CD's. Are they new or used?

PoppaC...they have Frank Zappas CD "Hot Rats" for $2 bucks.

poppachubby
06-02-2010, 05:49 PM
PoppaC...they have Frank Zappas CD "Hot Rats" for $2 bucks.

Right, and probably $25 to get it across the border. I've been shopping domestically for over a year now. My favorite E-shop, especially for vinyl is Acoustic Sounds. Great shipping prices and amazing selection. I haven't bought anything from them in quite some time. You should check them out.

www.acousticsounds.com

02audionoob
06-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Most of the inventory at Half-Price Books is the used stuff individuals come in and sell to the store.

poppachubby
06-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Real excited about this one.

Jim Hall, Paul Desmond, Chet Baker (Yeehaw!), Ron Carter, Steve Gado and Roland Hanna.

I'll let you all know. The cover took a beating and did it's job well. Near mint LP.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4665178250_43e505a995.jpg

poppachubby
06-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Near Mint

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1270/4664555153_b6e871c673.jpg

frenchmon
06-03-2010, 12:12 AM
Real excited about this one.

Jim Hall, Paul Desmond, Chet Baker (Yeehaw!), Ron Carter, Steve Gado and Roland Hanna.

I'll let you all know. The cover took a beating and did it's job well. Near mint LP.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4665178250_43e505a995.jpg

Poppa you chump!

Really...I just ordered that new. Like I said before on AR....if you got anything with Paul Desmond and Jim Hall...you are in for a real treat. Is Conny Kay and Percey Heath on that one as well PoppaC/

poppachubby
06-03-2010, 01:52 AM
No just the artists I listed. I remembered what you had said, but the fact that Chet Baker was on it sealed the deal.

frenchmon
06-03-2010, 07:10 AM
No just the artists I listed. I remembered what you had said, but the fact that Chet Baker was on it sealed the deal.

Yeah...I hear ya...Baker always seals the deal....he had a style all his own.

Enochrome
06-07-2010, 08:58 AM
Here's a sample of some of my thrift store finds and such:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1270/4678667827_a87c0f0ca7.jpg

actually got this from my dad. This is my favorite classical lp, so nice with the Grado.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4069/4678667983_f290a5fa06.jpg

two favorite composers.Both are NM for $2.00 a piece.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1277/4678667735_9e0057c667.jpg

This has to be my favorite find recently: they sound great. Vinyl is VG, but it was 3.50 and red!!!

Couple of OG soundtracks; looking for the clockwork since I started the vinyl craze again

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1307/4678667549_385704ec83.jpg

More Mono finds: the Cooke sounds great in mono: his vocals stand out well.
Early Chet Atkins, enough said.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4067/4678667451_ac926a960b.jpg

Underrated Beach Boys album and the one on the left is an original Apple release of a Hari Krishna album that George Harrison produced and arranged, which I picked up when I use to work at Rhino Records years back.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4679299232_e135071d14.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1305/4678666861_d2103c4fc8.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/4679299056_9a30dd48b1.jpg

Those were some record store purchases, except for the Mongo, Beach Boys, and Who which I purchased at my local thrift store, which has a weird twist:

My local thrift has a created a boutique section and has put LP's in there with prices of 3.50 & 5.50. Obviously they are hip to the value and desire of these records. Some are mispriced because of what they are (Streisand) and condition, yet most are really cool.
They get a lot of records all the time and most of my posted purchases are from there. One time, I was there and I was walking around with a stack ($50.00 worth) of: original Who, Floyd, Buddy Guy, and the one's pictured; when these two audio gear guys asked to look at my records. They were impressed, but one of the guys said " I would never buy those because they are not a dollar anymore, that is not right" What!!!

What do you guys think of this?? Any of those records would have been $15.00 and up at Amoeba, and this guys going to pass them up?! Ironically, both those guys spent $80.00 on a reel to reel :) :( I don't mind paying up to $5.00 for a great and hard to find record, especially when the money goes to a charity where I see the affects of my money being spent on the assistance centers next door and the nice employees.

Here's the real kicker: Those guys were such bargain hunters, but they didn't know that if anything there is more than 21 days old, it is half off. I laughed when I saw them lugging that reel to reel out of the store.

I don't like it when this whole area of music, formats and equipment, turns into a collecting/fetish game; it's about music first, and labels, gear, and numbers second.

Sorry about the long rant.

Enochrome
06-07-2010, 09:06 AM
Noob and Poppa!! Got the picture thing right this time!! The training wheels are off.

poppachubby
06-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Noob and Poppa!! Got the picture thing right this time!! The training wheels are off.

Hahha, yes good job. They look great.

First of all, this is a great topic for vinyl lovers. I attend many local record shows and swap meets. It's usually the same core of sellers/collectors. IMO, they overcharge for LPs that should be cheap, yet seem to be on point for the rarer/import stuff. A strange phenomena indeed.

Personally, I think $5 is a fine price for an album which is in good shape in/out. Where we get into $1/2 territory is for mass produced LPs which are in average condition. I'm talking about the Elton Johns, Bowies and Supertramps which were pressed by the zillion.

For anyone to quickly look at some titles and make a monetary assessment, shows a lack of experience. If I was those guys I wouldn't have said a word without seeing the vinyl first. The joke is on them really.

As for your albums, great stuff!! Love that red LP, and the Mongo. They all look great! Keep sharing especially now that we can see your wares.

frenchmon
06-07-2010, 12:52 PM
PoppaC I love ya man, but that guy on the keyboard is kinda disgusting.

02audionoob
06-07-2010, 03:37 PM

Quite the dazzling display...like an old forum veteran!

poppachubby
06-07-2010, 08:23 PM
PoppaC I love ya man, but that guy on the keyboard is kinda disgusting.

OK I will change it.

poppachubby
06-10-2010, 07:02 AM
Local thrift today. Not too bad. Hey i was wondering if any of you guys have heard an RCA/Victor Red Label Dynagroove? They had an Al Hirt pressed on one of these, but he was accompanied by an obnoxious orchestra, not my cup of tea. The LP however looked amazing, roughly 180g.

The Earl Grant is a great score, Decca original and like all of their early releases the LP is like a frisbee. 200g minimum. I bought the Sweet Emma on a whim, never heard of her but looks pretty authentic.

The 2 Jazz Great LPs are in great shape and 180g.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4025/4688303364_17d3415217.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/4688305342_c699b8b3ec.jpg

Enochrome
06-10-2010, 08:01 AM
Hahahahahaaa, so true about those early Decca's I have about 4 of those and that describes them perfectly. In fact, I thought I bought a 78 one time :) My Segovia Decca sounds great!! scratchy, but great.

I have several classical lp's that are the Red Dynagroove, including the Julian Bream I posted recently: very solid pressings with great weight (think it's shy of 180), sit on the platter nice and sound great (no inner groove issues, unlike my new Kraftwerk reissue: ggrrrrrr :( ) The only other pressing of classical Lp's that I think are better: white label EMI issues, Russian or European(?) if you find those grab them immediately (if the price is right, which it probably will be, because most people donate them).

Can't wait to hear what you think of the EMMA and the Decca Gardner is great find; in fact all your finds kick butt!! <<<<<<<<<<<DynagrooveNice>>>>>>>>>>

frenchmon
06-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Local thrift today. Not too bad. Hey i was wondering if any of you guys have heard an RCA/Victor Red Label Dynagroove? They had an Al Hirt pressed on one of these, but he was accompanied by an obnoxious orchestra, not my cup of tea. The LP however looked amazing, roughly 180g.

The Earl Grant is a great score, Decca original and like all of their early releases the LP is like a frisbee. 200g minimum. I bought the Sweet Emma on a whim, never heard of her but looks pretty authentic.

The 2 Jazz Great LPs are in great shape and 180g.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4025/4688303364_17d3415217.jpg

I just can figure out how you guys do it. I go to the goodwills and other local thrifts and all I find is junk!:confused5:

poppachubby
06-10-2010, 08:40 AM
I just can figure out how you guys do it. I go to the goodwills and other local thrifts and all I find is junk!:confused5:

I go to the same 2 stores regularily, like twice or three times a week. They are nearby and it's not out of my way to do so. This is the way you must do it. Heavily police one or two shops because there's alot of guys just like you looking too. It's too hard to stretch yourself out.

Sometimes, between both shops it can go for 2 or 3 months with nothing. During those times I usually hit the local record shop if I have an itch.

Sometimes I wish I was a Barbara Streisand or Kenny Rogers fan.

frenchmon, have you heard of Sweet Emma?

frenchmon
06-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Yeah I guess so....I just don't go enough.

Enochrome
06-10-2010, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I hit up the same 3 stores regularly. I have luck mostly at one, the others are hit or miss. I had a bad batch of records the last time, except for one gem, but that is the risk you take. I have to take a break for a month, I feel that my good hunting karma is fatigued.

Enochrome
06-10-2010, 10:07 AM
Poppa, I meant Grant not Gardner: different musician.

poppachubby
06-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Poppa, I meant Grant not Gardner: different musician.

I knew what you meant. I'll let you know how they sound. Thanks for the EMI tip. I have been listening to CDs all day with the 650.

02audionoob
06-10-2010, 07:26 PM
It's like 70's movie music...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4689992296_b2277b05b0.jpg

Enochrome
06-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Oh man Noob! I love that series of Getz records. His tone is second to none. I heard that Coltrane said he was one of the best saxophone players once. That record is what established my appreciation for my Grado. The Getz and Byrd albums are great too!

poppachubby
06-11-2010, 03:19 AM
Damn noob that album looks great! Where did you get it? Does Astrud stop in for a beer? Who else plays on it, any other American musicians?

frenchmon
06-11-2010, 07:10 AM

Tho Getz has a very warm distinctive sound in his sax....the real master was Antonio Carlos Jobim who wrote most of the music on those great "Bosa Nova" tunes that noob says sound like 70's movie music including "The Girl from Ipanema."

IF you want to check out some good stuff by a person who still does lots of that Bosa Nova stuff and always does Antonio Carlos Jobim's stuff, then check out Eliane Elias. She is a great pianist in her own right.

frenchmon
06-11-2010, 07:11 AM

Noob you lucky devil....I have it on CD...wish I had it one vinyl...that type of sound was made for vinyl.

frenchmon
06-11-2010, 07:15 AM
Oh man Noob! I love that series of Getz records. His tone is second to none. I heard that Coltrane said he was one of the best saxophone players once. That record is what established my appreciation for my Grado. The Getz and Byrd albums are great too!
All the heavy weights loved Getz and Art Pepper back then. So its no surprize that Train would say that. I got got a recording where Getz is flat out doing some cuttin with Dizzy and Sonny Stitt...and people thought only piano players did cuttin back in those days.

frenchmon
06-11-2010, 07:21 AM
Damn noob that album looks great! Where did you get it? Does Astrud stop in for a beer? Who else plays on it, any other American musicians?

The only americans are Tommy Williams on bass and Milton Banana on drums. That albums is the first album that Astrud Gilberto sings on and she tells a wonderful story about how she started her singing career. IF you can find a good original copy mint Poppa, you've got a real keeper.

02audionoob
06-11-2010, 09:40 AM
The only americans are Tommy Williams on bass and Milton Banana on drums. That albums is the first album that Astrud Gilberto sings on and she tells a wonderful story about how she started her singing career. IF you can find a good original copy mint Poppa, you've got a real keeper.

It looks like Milton Banana was actually a Brazilian named Antônio de Souza. See the "Nome completo" in this Wikipedia article...

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Banana

I can't make out most of the Portuguese, but he was born and died in Rio.

frenchmon
06-11-2010, 12:01 PM
It looks like Milton Banana was actually a Brazilian named Antônio de Souza. See the "Nome completo" in this Wikipedia article...

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Banana

I can't make out most of the Portuguese, but he was born and died in Rio.

Oh..thanks for the correction.

02audionoob
06-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Noob you lucky devil....I have it on CD...wish I had it one vinyl...that type of sound was made for vinyl.

Ain't that the truth!

I got that one and this one, among other jazz classics, from a friend at work who was getting out of vinyl and downsizing his system, back when the promise of perfect sound forever was still somewhat new...maybe 1992 or thereabout. Astrud gets featured billing on this one.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4003/4691921730_e1023a79bc_b.jpg

Tho Getz has a very warm distinctive sound in his sax....the real master was Antonio Carlos Jobim who wrote most of the music on those great "Bosa Nova" tunes that noob says sound like 70's movie music including "The Girl from Ipanema."

IF you want to check out some good stuff by a person who still does lots of that Bosa Nova stuff and always does Antonio Carlos Jobim's stuff, then check out Eliane Elias. She is a great pianist in her own right.

And pretty, too...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_W4Lm4zrQoao/R16ZWyTIrmI/AAAAAAAAAog/-iPe1tcdfEg/s400/Eliane+Elias+-+Eliane+Elias+Plays+Jobim+(.jpg

frenchmon
06-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Ain't that the truth!

I got that one and this one, among other jazz classics, from a friend at work who was getting out of vinyl and downsizing his system, back when the promise of perfect sound forever was still somewhat new...maybe 1992 or thereabout. Astrud gets featured billing on this one.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4003/4691921730_e1023a79bc_b.jpg

And pretty, too...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_W4Lm4zrQoao/R16ZWyTIrmI/AAAAAAAAAog/-iPe1tcdfEg/s400/Eliane+Elias+-+Eliane+Elias+Plays+Jobim+(.jpg

Yes she is....noob, my man! You are ahead of the game. She also did an album giving Bud Powell and Bill Evans a tribute...have you heard those?

frenchmon
06-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Hey Poppa...I went out and found some albums....blew me away. And they are all in good condition.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4074/pict0037jc.jpg (http://img10.imageshack.us/i/pict0037jc.jpg/)

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/3015/pict0036sp.jpg (http://img23.imageshack.us/i/pict0036sp.jpg/)

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4033/pict0035sy.jpg (http://img8.imageshack.us/i/pict0035sy.jpg/)

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1734/pict0034se.jpg (http://img17.imageshack.us/i/pict0034se.jpg/)

http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/7402/pict0033.jpg (http://img813.imageshack.us/i/pict0033.jpg/)

I could not believe "The Girl from Ipanema" was there.

And the "Echos of an Era" album is mint. I use to have this album back in the day with some other stuff they did. They had one with Freddy Hubbard instead of Nancy Wilson and it was released as "The Griffith Park Collection" Most people neve heard Stanly Clark play an acoustic bass before and he does a great job at it s well. And Lenny White is a great bop drummer...trouble is he never does out side of Chick Corea

The Dave Brubeck is the worst of the bunch and it at bad quality...its the label Fantasy. Its a cheap label. I fell for the color of the vinyl...it was red.

For those who don't know, the "Reunion" album is "New Age" music...I love that stuff as well.

The Focus album by Getz has him in a totally different setting. He has an orchestra behind him...sorta like what Charlie "Bird" Parker did back in the day....set a bunch of Jazz standards to strings. Getz is sounding very good on this album.

02audionoob
06-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Yes she is....noob, my man! You are ahead of the game. She also did an album giving Bud Powell and Bill Evans a tribute...have you heard those?

I have not heard or even heard of those, but I'll see if I can track them down.

poppachubby
06-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Right on frenchie!! Those look great...you're on your way. That Echoes LP looks tasty.

02audionoob
06-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Picked up a few records, today...including two by Paul Desmond, in honor of frenchmon.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/4693961315_c78c2e3202_b.jpg

frenchmon
06-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Picked up a few records, today...including two by Paul Desmond, in honor of frenchmon.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/4693961315_c78c2e3202_b.jpg

noob...my man!

frenchmon
06-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Right on frenchie!! Those look great...you're on your way. That Echoes LP looks tasty.

oh yeah it pretty good....do you like Nancy Wilson?

poppachubby
06-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Nice grab noob, those Desmond look great. I am having loads of luck with the latest haul. I don't know about you guys, but I've had mixed luck with any "Various Artist" type of albums. Even my copy of Atlantic's 25th Anniversary isn't that great, but what a list of artists and songs. Do any of you guys have any decent sounding mixed LPs? How's your latest haul sounding noob? What about you frenchmon?

Here's my copy of the Atlantic double LP...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/4414812660_b9c3977e7e.jpg

And here's the two LPs I'm talking about.

poppachubby
06-12-2010, 03:28 PM
If you like Buddy Rich, check this out. If you don't, here's a good reason to.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pNhnioNNIPI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pNhnioNNIPI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

02audionoob
06-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Nice grab noob, those Desmond look great. I am having loads of luck with the latest haul. I don't know about you guys, but I've had mixed luck with any "Various Artist" type of albums. Even my copy of Atlantic's 25th Anniversary isn't that great, but what a list of artists and songs. Do any of you guys have any decent sounding mixed LPs? How's your latest haul sounding noob? What about you frenchmon?

Here's my copy of the Atlantic double LP...

And here's the two LPs I'm talking about.

I rarely buy albums by various artists. I do have some movie soundtrack albums, like FM, but that's about it. I haven't gotten to the playing part with today's haul. I'm still cleaning. These LPs are in great condition when I get the mess off them, though.

Chubbs will love this...The album in the center of the bottom row in my photo weighs 82 grams. I can hold it by its edges and it actually droops.

poppachubby
06-18-2010, 08:52 AM
A tasty score for under $20. The Clarke is 180g. They are all super clean and minty. I've been slowing rounding out my Split Enz collection...

Not the best pic, the bottom right hand is David Sanborn. I'm most excited about the DiMeola, it's one of his most revered performances.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4029/4711606651_829c974d15.jpg

Enochrome
06-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Nice haul everyone!!!!!! Is this Stan Getz month!! I gotta hear that "Focus" album. Want to know the verdict on the Clarke and Bob James album. I ran across the James album at a thrift store and was dubious about it: it is such a departure. How do you guys find all these jazz albums at such good prices?! Never am I so lucky.

frenchmon
06-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Enochrome..PoppaC is a hunter....he can find some albums.

That Focus album is a little different setting than I am use to from Getz. He is set to strings...but its still good.

02audionoob
06-18-2010, 07:07 PM
Spinning Bonnie's breakthrough...greatness...love the hair.

poppachubby
06-23-2010, 09:42 AM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1053/4727468935_1075fb8f1d.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1385/4728113092_0e0b3db829.jpg

frenchmon
06-23-2010, 09:50 AM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1053/4727468935_1075fb8f1d.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1385/4728113092_0e0b3db829.jpg

What condition is that Ben and Jaquet album in?

poppachubby
06-23-2010, 10:44 AM

Truthfully, not the greatest. I would say Good. It cleaned up quite well. The disc is 200g and when playing there are minimal pops/clicks.

It's probably about the worst I will accept an LP.

frenchmon
06-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Truthfully, not the greatest. I would say Good. It cleaned up quite well. The disc is 200g and when playing there are minimal pops/clicks.

It's probably about the worst I will accept an LP.

How do you know if an old original is 200g if its not printed on the cover or album?

Do you have a separate table to play the more worn LP's on? I am leaning that way. I will continue to look for a nice vintage table to play the more worn LP's on and use the MMF 2.1 to play the no "fried egg sound" LP's. Then when I get the Xpression lll it will take over the duty of the MMF 2.1, the 2.1 will take over the duty of the vintage, and the vintage table will go in the bed room system with a vintage Marantz Receiver...Rotel CDP and DIY speakers.

Im a big Illionois Jacquet fan...

P.S.....I should have something in the mail for you in about a week.

poppachubby
06-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Sounds good. If an LP is in bad shape, I don't buy it, therefore no, I don't play crumby LPs on any of my decks. I'm not a snob, I like a little fried chicken in the mix but I have limits.

jrhymeammo
06-23-2010, 07:11 PM
How do you know if an old original is 200g if its not printed on the cover or album?

I certainly haven't seen it all, but I don't think I've ever come across vintage LP that weighs 200g. Some original Blue Note LP I own on 47th West 63rd and other Classical label such as Columbia, London, Decca have thickness that of close to 200g, but I think it's feel much lighter than 200g. Do modern 180 and 200g LP have higher density than vintage wax?

Most of the Verve LP tends to be on a heavier side though.

poppachubby
06-24-2010, 02:34 AM

After a couple more cleanings and a couple more listens, this album is starting to sound alot better.

As for the music, really bluesy but up beat.

I've got several Decca pressings that are 200g. The best way to tell is by looking at the outer edge. There will be no lip at all with a 200g. What you essentially get is a completely flat LP which helps to make tracking better. I also find they sit on the mat better and therefore my weight is more effective.

poppachubby
06-24-2010, 08:14 AM
....score of all, is happening to meeeee"

Thank you for that intro Whitney.

Yes guys, today was indeed a GREAT one. Started down at Grooves, my local vinyl shop and scored these for under 30.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1331/4730038307_5a15e03356.jpg

Decided to hit a thrift on the way home, and that's when things got downright stupid. First of all, walk in to find out that all LPs are $1.00 instead of $2.00.

Found these. I kid you not, they're practically mint. I already have Aja, but at $1.00 how could I not??

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1165/4730040467_cc80b621ea.jpg

Now check this out. This is the point where I started to become short of breath, eyesight blurring, etc...

AEOC...near mint....

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1191/4730686298_42cc8c3340.jpg

Keith Jarrett Live in Koln, double LP....

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1001/4730687896_58b8cb8d72.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1235/4730045233_0072bc5d76.jpg

And finally, the piece de resistance, Satchmo, double LP, near mint. The vinyl obviously. Let me re-iterate, for a dollar!!..

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1249/4730047017_462c4ca90f.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1384/4730692736_ed58232ec7.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1149/4730694546_6300775980.jpg

noob, you can have the Armstrong. It's mono. Does anyone need a copy of Aja? It's mint.

Enochrome
06-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Forget the rest....that Slade was worth practically all the cash you spent: it's their best record and hard to find in the States. I'm a big Slade fan. I'll post some pics of some of their others that are not nearly as good as that one.

Nice.

Enochrome
06-24-2010, 12:40 PM
I've also got some old Decca and Verve that are flat and close 200g. They sound great but are more prone to scratches than later pressings.

frenchmon
06-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Nice score. And you know you are a real music lover and not just a collector, if you can sit through "The Art Ensemble of Chicago" and Keith Jarrett"s Koln Concert back to back, without moving from you sitting position unless turning over the vinyl, and understand whats really going on....So can you do it?:smile5:

frenchmon
06-24-2010, 12:59 PM
Sounds good. If an LP is in bad shape, I don't buy it, therefore no, I don't play crumby LPs on any of my decks. I'm not a snob, I like a little fried chicken in the mix but I have limits.

Not talking about albums in bad shape PoppaC...shoot, I just threw a bunch of that junk out...Im talking stuff that's not mint played on the second table to protect the best cart.

frenchmon
06-24-2010, 01:01 PM
Forget the rest....that Slade was worth practically all the cash you spent: it's their best record and hard to find in the States. I'm a big Slade fan. I'll post some pics of some of their others that are not nearly as good as that one.

Nice.

I actually owned the "Slade" album back in the 80's. There where a few of them at the used vinyl store back then....I only liked one song off the album.

02audionoob
06-25-2010, 04:25 PM
Hey frenchmon...Vinyl on sale in St. Louis...

http://www.recordexchangestl.com/

poppachubby
06-25-2010, 05:39 PM
Nice score. And you know you are a real music lover and not just a collector, if you can sit through "The Art Ensemble of Chicago" and Keith Jarrett"s Koln Concert back to back, without moving from you sitting position unless turning over the vinyl, and understand whats really going on....So can you do it?:smile5:

Well, I almost did it today. Got through the Jarrett no prob, real nice album, just him and his piano. ONly got through one side of the AEOC LP however.

frenchmon
06-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Hey frenchmon...Vinyl on sale in St. Louis...

http://www.recordexchangestl.com/

Yeah I know....Mr.Peabody said something to me about it a few weeks ago, and the local used vinyl stores have posters all over the place.

frenchmon
06-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Well, I almost did it today. Got through the Jarrett no prob, real nice album, just him and his piano. ONly got through one side of the AEOC LP however.

The Art Ensemble of Chicago is not your normal jazz band. They do a lot of avant-garde, style music...you did good to get through one side. Lester Bowie was a master and he is greatly missed.

I did get a chance to see the Art Ensemble of Chicago once in the early 80's. Lester Bowie had with him a huge brass section. Stuff was mind blowing seeing it live with all the different costumes and face painting. You really have to kinda understand how they are going outside of the normal boundaries of the music...you being a musician should have no hard time with this...but it take a little getting use to.

poppachubby
06-26-2010, 05:57 AM
The AEOC are just as much about sound as they are about proper music.

frenchmon
06-26-2010, 06:12 AM
The AEOC are just as much about sound as they are about proper music.

What do you mean by "proper music"??

poppachubby
06-26-2010, 11:04 AM
What do you mean by "proper music"??

Conventional music.

frenchmon
06-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Conventional music.

Oh. I see your point...and I agree.

02audionoob
06-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Today's music hunting was a disappointment. I just settled on some CDs and brought home no vinyl at all. Just not in the right frame of mind, today.
:cryin:

poppachubby
06-26-2010, 05:01 PM
Today's music hunting was a disappointment. I just settled on some CDs and brought home no vinyl at all. Just not in the right frame of mind, today.
:cryin:

Definitely requires the right mood. Patience also. Oh well. What discs did you buy?

02audionoob
06-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Definitely requires the right mood. Patience also. Oh well. What discs did you buy?

Just some stuff from the clearance shelves. Two by Tracy Chapman, one by Iris Dement, one by Cowboy Junkies and a Joni Mitchell. Heavy on the girls, today.

poppachubby
06-26-2010, 05:33 PM
I need some Tracy Chapman on vinyl. Did you check out my storage thread? I got it all together, just neeeds a coat of paint...

02audionoob
06-26-2010, 07:12 PM
I'd like to have Tracy's debut on vinyl. A collection of any artist's work has a major hole in it without the debut.

hifitommy
06-27-2010, 10:06 AM
the eponymous album. the tune fast car is about all i need to hear. very well recorded and performed, too bad she doesnt have more to say creatively.

its kinda like mason williams and barry white, one song and fini.

02audionoob
06-27-2010, 10:31 AM
If that one song is memorable enough, you can release it again later...

<OBJECT width=640 height=385>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TZwhzf8NC4o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></OBJECT></P>

hifitommy
06-27-2010, 11:06 AM
release 'greatest hits' albums when they should be GREATEST HIT?

Jack in Wilmington
07-03-2010, 08:16 AM
Got back from vacation and had enough money to buy some vinyl. A couple of my new purchases.

02audionoob
07-03-2010, 09:44 PM
I picked up some girls, today. The Ronstadt was just an upgrade for condition. I already have almost everything of hers. You northerners probably don't know Marcia Ball. She's blues, zydeco, boogie woogie, Austin, New Orleans, rolled into one. Carlene Carter is a daughter of June Carter. I'm assuming this is the same Martha Davis as was in The Motels, of 1980s MTV fame. Of course, Grace needs no introduction.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4114/4759720238_4cb0e5acdd_b.jpg

poppachubby
07-06-2010, 01:46 PM
New to me...

hifitommy
07-06-2010, 03:17 PM
i have a couple of those as well as the fri nite in sf. there is also a cd with the same guys using the same color codes named 'the guitar trio'. i dont think that one is on vinyl. its a good trilogy to have.

enjoy.

Auricauricle
07-06-2010, 05:21 PM
http://dg.alienearmusic.com/sosofullsize/inbeginning.jpg

In a rare stroke of luck I found this gem. It is Tangerine Dream's In the Beginning, a box-set of LPs including five of TD's first four albums: Electronic Meditation, Alpha Centauri, Zeit, and Atem and their "lost" album, Green Desert. For many, the sound of long aural sequences of washed landscapes might be considered old hat. Compared with the slickly polished sounds of TD's later work and many of today's artists, these albums are rather dated. On the other hand, if you are like me, these sounds are great tapestries of great art. With these renderings, TD helped usher in the electronic age of music, creating sounds, rhythms and textures quite unlike most of the fare on the radio dial. This is the stuff you listen to with the lights turned down or off late at night in your inner sanctum. As a fan, I already own these albums on CD; but having them in vinyl is like having an old friend over who, like me, likes to enjoy a groovy night with the stereo.

poppachubby
07-06-2010, 06:15 PM
I have been on a massive guitar kick lately. Back to my Benson collection but have been discovering the magic of Jim Hall and of course Joe Pass.

Desmond and Hall is possibly cooler than cool. I can't deal with it, too god damn cool.

frenchmon
07-07-2010, 10:36 AM
I have been on a massive guitar kick lately. Back to my Benson collection but have been discovering the magic of Jim Hall and of course Joe Pass.

Desmond and Hall is possibly cooler than cool. I can't deal with it, too god damn cool.

Well you need to fuss out that Miles Davis for starting the West Coast Kool Jazz with his album "Birth of the Cool" and then moving on to bebop Jazz not continuing in what he started. Chet Baker also dabbled into Kool West coast Jazz and moved on as well as Stan Getz. But Desmond and Hall and Connie Kay stayed and made it even more Kool...But you know what they say...if you cant stand the Kool, get out of the Fridge....:nono: So I guess if you cant deal with... that means you gotta send me all your Kool vinyl.

02audionoob
07-12-2010, 07:54 PM
Look at the lineup on this re-issue LP...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4143/4789186226_a437d5367b_b.jpg

poppachubby
07-12-2010, 08:16 PM
oooooooo!!! Nice pick up noob! I bet it sounds awesome on that deck of yours.

02audionoob
07-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Indeed it does. I've always thought my system was just made for trumpet. You should hear Wynton Marsalis on it.

poppachubby
07-13-2010, 04:07 AM
Indeed it does. I've always thought my system was just made for trumpet. You should hear Wynton Marsalis on it.

noob if there's one thing I would LOVE to do, it's hear your system. I know what you mean regarding trumpet. My Sound Dynamics are particularily excellent for brass in general, fun, realistic and exciting. The Missions tone things down in the top end but add alot of mid tone which gives off presence I find.

Off topic, when do you think you might come back up here? I do have an aunt in Texas, but I will not be visiting her. FLA is the closest I would realistically come to TX, and that's not close. If you come back up to MI, I could come and pick you up and bring you here for a night. Heck bring the wifey too, you guys can stay with us. Lots of food, wine, conversation and music in this house. Let me know.

BTW, add some more Hubbard to your collection if you're enjoying trumpet.

JoeE SP9
07-13-2010, 11:54 AM
I love seeing and hearing you guys discover music I grew up with.

BTW: Bee-Bop was first (Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie etc.) then came "The Birth Of The Cool". Mile's changed the face of Jazz a second time with *****es Brew.

frenchmon
07-13-2010, 03:04 PM
I love seeing and hearing you guys discover music I grew up with.

BTW: Bee-Bop was first (Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie etc.) then came "The Birth Of The Cool". Mile's changed the face of Jazz a second time with *****es Brew.

Me too. I sit back and look at the albums
PoppaC displays and know what it sounds like. Most of the Jazz I've heard and much of the rock....Like the Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush Live....I use to own that on vinyl. Its fun...sometimes they help me to remember albums I had long forgot. The same with some of the vintage gear...I remember much of it from back in the day.

02audionoob
07-13-2010, 03:55 PM
noob if there's one thing I would LOVE to do, it's hear your system. I know what you mean regarding trumpet. My Sound Dynamics are particularily excellent for brass in general, fun, realistic and exciting. The Missions tone things down in the top end but add alot of mid tone which gives off presence I find.

Off topic, when do you think you might come back up here? I do have an aunt in Texas, but I will not be visiting her. FLA is the closest I would realistically come to TX, and that's not close. If you come back up to MI, I could come and pick you up and bring you here for a night. Heck bring the wifey too, you guys can stay with us. Lots of food, wine, conversation and music in this house. Let me know.

BTW, add some more Hubbard to your collection if you're enjoying trumpet.

Thanks for the invitation. I'll figure out a way to get within striking distance, some way or another.

poppachubby
07-14-2010, 01:22 PM
The Beatles - Love Songs
The cover has taken a beating which is a shame. Faux leather with gold stamping, quite nice when new I'm sure. Anyhow, I paid 2 bucks. The 2 LPs are 180g and in excellent condition. It also has a full size lyric book.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4119/4793987703_ea198b8d8c.jpg

Billy Joel Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2, John Lennon Imagine
The Billy is near mint, both cover and LPs. The Lennon has a worn cover but again, nice LP.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/4793989437_3cf115f22c.jpg

02audionoob
07-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Art Farmer...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4116/4795314932_26e14c3e91_b.jpg

frenchmon
07-14-2010, 11:54 PM
Art Farmer...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4116/4795314932_26e14c3e91_b.jpg

The other half of Golson for years.....Good one noob. Looks like a new score as apposed to used? Never saw that cover before.

poppachubby
07-15-2010, 02:09 AM
frenchie, are you familiar with Mosaic? They release the discontinued stuff. That Lee Morgan I gave you was a Mosaic compilation. Check this out, gorgeous...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/PAUL-DESMOND-COMPLETE-MOSAIC-AUDIOPHILE-BOX-SET-w-BOOK-/160453877431?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item255bcbdeb7

frenchmon
07-15-2010, 11:20 AM
frenchie, are you familiar with Mosaic? They release the discontinued stuff. That Lee Morgan I gave you was a Mosaic compilation. Check this out, gorgeous...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/PAUL-DESMOND-COMPLETE-MOSAIC-AUDIOPHILE-BOX-SET-w-BOOK-/160453877431?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item255bcbdeb7

I have John Klemmer on Mosaic....Thanks, I'll check it out.

Ok PoppaC....I've just bidded and I was outbid...I hate playing those games when the reserve is not met and you dont know what the top bid is.. I wont bid again. Thanks any way.

poppachubby
07-15-2010, 12:51 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4137/4796819173_b9eda35850.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4142/4797450476_9caf9f976b.jpg

Got these at the thrift...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4096/4796817209_c5251151f6.jpg

JoeE SP9
07-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Gee PC! I have 3 Bill Cosby LP's. I usually don't admit it. I claim I wasn't responsible back then due to chemical influences.

Is A Very Funny Fellow
I Started Out As A Child
Revenge

That Benson at Carnagie Hall is one I've not found on vinyl. I'm still looking though.

poppachubby
07-15-2010, 01:32 PM
Gee PC! I have 3 Bill Cosby LP's. I usually don't admit it. I claim I wasn't responsible back then due to chemical influences.

Is A Very Funny Fellow
I Started Out As A Child
Revenge

That Benson at Carnagie Hall is one I've not found on vinyl. I'm still looking though.

There is nothing worse than shame in loving something Joe. If he makes you laugh, how can it be bad?!? I love Mr. Cosby, he's a comic genius.

The Benson is a CTI original. the performance features Hupert Law. You know I love George Benson. I need an original White Rabbit. It has a gorgeous gatefold, like most CTI LPs did. My Rabbit is a re-issue.

frenchmon
07-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Hey Pops you may just have to wire me some of that Benson.

I love Cosby....you ever heard of Dolemite? Rudy Ray Moore? Totally different from Cosby. IF you can find his stuff you will laugh. He is more in line with Red Foxx and RIchard Pryor, only he was before those guy's...well not Foxx, but I think Pryor.

poppachubby
07-15-2010, 02:48 PM
frenchie, you didn't notice the Metheny?!? I've got about 15 Benson LPs but still neeed a couple more to complete what I feel is essential.

JoeE SP9
07-15-2010, 03:23 PM
CTI used to sell some of those covers as "museum(?)" quality posters. I've only got one. George Benson, Body Talk. I had it professionally framed and it's been hanging in my listening room for 20+ years. I should have bought more when they were available.

02audionoob
07-15-2010, 03:53 PM
The other half of Golson for years.....Good one noob. Looks like a new score as apposed to used? Never saw that cover before.

This is a new 180g record. I've got some coupons for Half-Price Books, so this one and the Lee Morgan record cost me under ten bucks each with tax. I've got another coupon that isn't good until Sunday. I plan to use it on another 180g jazz record...maybe one of the singers, this time. They have Chet Baker, Sarah Vaughan and Billie Holiday. They also have Birth of the Cool, so that's an option.

frenchmon
07-15-2010, 03:54 PM
frenchie, you didn't notice the Metheny?!? I've got about 15 Benson LPs but still neeed a couple more to complete what I feel is essential.

Oh yeah...I notice every album you post...you guys take me down memory lane. Is that a new score? I have that same one on vinyl and it sound better on vinyl than on CD. So much more cohesiveness. If you haven't played it yet, play it and let me know what you think....those Missons are not known to be sterol but have passion...Methenys going to set them on fire.

frenchmon
07-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Pops...ever find any Andrew Hill or Archie Shepp on CTI? IF you do, grab it...good stuff.

frenchmon
07-15-2010, 04:15 PM
This is a new 180g record. I've got some coupons for Half-Price Books, so this one and the Lee Morgan record cost me under ten bucks each with tax. I've got another coupon that isn't good until Sunday. I plan to use it on another 180g jazz record...maybe one of the singers, this time. They have Chet Baker, Sarah Vaughan and Billie Holiday. They also have Birth of the Cool, so that's an option.

All good choices. I find it kinda hard to find a good Holiday recording. Bakers got some very good stuff out...he did a lots of kool jazz, but I like him doing hard bop the most If you can find his "Pacific Jazz Years" you would have a lot of his stuff with plenty of hard bop.. It takes a real music lover to really get into Sarah....I love her. Another good one if you can find it would be a Charlie Haden and his group "Quartet West". All of those are excellent, but if you can find the album or CD called "The Art of Song" with Shirly Horn and Bill Henderson, snatch it up in a heart beat.

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/438/417y08ze6glsl500aa30091.jpg (http://img33.imageshack.us/i/417y08ze6glsl500aa30091.jpg/)

The Birth of the Cool is one that can lose you...you really gotta pay attention.

02audionoob
07-15-2010, 04:48 PM
They only have something like 16 selections on the rack, so I'm almost tempted to get all of them. Just going by memory, I think these are among them.

frenchmon
07-15-2010, 04:56 PM
I use to have that Lady in Satin on vinyl years ago...but I could have sworn it was Duke Ellington rather than Ray Ellis?

02audionoob
07-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Taking a little time out...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4080/4797508337_217f8464bb_b.jpg

poppachubby
07-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Swell pic, and LP. But you knew that...(sum'v'a....)

No seriously, most excellent.

basite
07-16-2010, 05:44 AM
They only have something like 16 selections on the rack, so I'm almost tempted to get all of them. Just going by memory, I think these are among them.

The lady in satin album is Amazing (note the capitol A :)), and chet baker can never be bad neither... :)

frenchmon
07-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Taking a little time out...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4080/4797508337_217f8464bb_b.jpg

Ok...why you teasing me with one picture? If you post pics do at least 3. lol!

poppachubby
07-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Great day today. Most notable is the War double LP and the Santana/Miles live. The War is in near mint shape. I love these people who are abandoning this stuff.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4098/4800723200_18e52d575d.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4117/4800089777_749f1a4952.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4095/4800090967_441c7e3aba.jpg

02audionoob
07-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Art Blakey, new record. This one features Lee Morgan, Benny Golson, Bobby Timmons, Jymie Merritt.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4077/4803666790_be41c2cab6.jpg

poppachubby
07-18-2010, 02:22 AM
I see you're enjoying re-issues lately noob. The allure of new vinyl is great. Man Blakey looks young in that pic.

02audionoob
07-18-2010, 06:03 AM
Half-Price Books installed a rack of new releases of jazz classics sometime in the last week or two. With that store, when something is gone you have no idea if or when it will be back, so I'm taking advantage.

frenchmon
07-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Great day today. Most notable is the War double LP and the Santana/Miles live. The War is in near mint shape. I love these people who are abandoning this stuff.

Good score...the only bad thing about the War album is that it cuts down the time of each song.

frenchmon
07-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Art Blakey, new record. This one features Lee Morgan, Benny Golson, Bobby Timmons, Jymie Merritt.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4077/4803666790_be41c2cab6.jpg

Great score noob. Every jazz fan aught to have that one in their collection. Notice Golson wrote most of the tunes and Timmons wrote 2 of them. Golson was a writing machine. He is also still living today. Moaning was a big hit for Timmons. Morgan was 20 years of age. But when you listen, listen to the tone of Golsons sax....it is a very distinctive tone and his signature sound. Once you hear his signiture sound and the skill at which he plays you kinda get hooked to his sound, lie you can get use to Coltrains signiture sound.

I believe Golson/Morgan and then Golson/Art Farmer rivaled Miles/Coltrain back in the day....at least in my thinking. You throw in all the Movie scores Golson wrote for Hollywood and then all the Jazz tunes he wrote for others, as well as those he wrote for himself, he may have written more tunes than Miles.

frenchmon
07-18-2010, 10:25 AM

Pops...IF you like "The Manhattan Transfer"....you should really love "Lambert, Hendrix and Ross" with the later being more bebop and a great influence on the original Manhattan Transfer.

poppachubby
07-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Good score...the only bad thing about the War album is that it cuts down the time of each song.

Only the re-issued tunes from previous albums were edited. I don't care because I have them on other LPs already. I am a War fan. The new songs that were wrote for the album are all full length.

Regardless, it's in excellent condition and sounds fantastic.

02audionoob
07-18-2010, 04:13 PM
One more LP from Half-Price Books...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4096/4806904630_649bded70e_b.jpg

poppachubby
07-18-2010, 04:31 PM
new???

frenchmon
07-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Only the re-issued tunes from previous albums were edited. I don't care because I have them on other LPs already. I am a War fan. The new songs that were wrote for the album are all full length.

Regardless, it's in excellent condition and sounds fantastic.

One of my all time favorites from War is "City country City" Its cut way down on platinum. But if you got the original scores it wont matter. I love War even when Eric Burton was in charge. It was a sad day when Big "Pappa Dee Allen" died of that heart attack.

poppachubby
07-18-2010, 05:20 PM
One of my all time favorites from War is "City country City" Its cut way down on platinum. But if you got the original scores it wont matter. I love War even when Eric Burton was in charge. It was a sad day when Big "Pappa Dee Allen" died of that heart attack.

Yes War did something special in music and really challenged the status quo. Always upbeat and fun to listen to.

02audionoob
07-18-2010, 05:49 PM
new???

Indeed new. Hasn't spun, yet, though.

02audionoob
07-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Late Night's Paul Shaffer has a VPI Scout....

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/files/imagecache/savm_article_main_photo/_images/62200818220.jpg

poppachubby
07-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Today I went along with a friend into a neighbouring town. I was going to help him move an antique vanity that he bought his wife as a surprise gift. When we got there, half of the house was packed up...a real mess.

As my buddy and this guy were chatting, I noticed several crates of LPs. I went over and started browsing. Finally they came over to me, and I asked him if they were his.

"Actually I don't know who's they are. Why? You use records?"

Before I can even say yes, he says...

"You can take em all if you want..."

:arf:

There were 4 crates. I left what I didn't want, or what was too damaged. For the most part they are lightly used but some titles are in only average condition.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4101/4818351275_44b96fa3cd.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4080/4818970352_14aa9dca18.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4078/4818968592_b11e16047b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4080/4818966558_c365fd3248.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4099/4818962700_9965d7a5ba.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4136/4818964422_3df2c5442a.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4114/4818960938_52c26fdd27.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4082/4818959168_70fc782ea1.jpg

And the piece de resistance...this is one of those Time Life deals. 3 180g LPs, all mint with a book too!!!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/4818957262_eb39fa711d.jpg

JoeE SP9
07-22-2010, 12:55 PM
What a haul!!!!:yesnod:
I've got about half of them. Took me 20 years to collect em!:sad:

There's some stuff there you'll really like. The Coleman Hawkins is a nice set. Time Life is very thorough with their boxed sets.

JoeE SP9
07-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Late Night's Paul Shaffer has a VPI Scout....

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/files/imagecache/savm_article_main_photo/_images/62200818220.jpg

The Pass labs amp and preamp aren't bad. Neither is that Sequerra tuner.

poppachubby
07-23-2010, 04:07 AM
What a haul!!!!:yesnod:
I've got about half of them. Took me 20 years to collect em!:sad:

There's some stuff there you'll really like. The Coleman Hawkins is a nice set. Time Life is very thorough with their boxed sets.

Joe I was up almost all night. The ECM stuff is amazing, and in great condition. I have to go get some inners/outters today. Really enjoyed the Smith f/ Turrentine. Also the Dolphy w/ Hubbard is a treat.

poppachubby
07-23-2010, 05:49 AM
OK this week just reached stupid proportions. I am now numb to the joy. Forgot that frenchmon had this little gem in the mail for me. Brand new re-issue, 180g. Gorgeous.

fenchmon, it sounds amazing. Open and detailed. Great pressing!

frenchmon
07-23-2010, 04:51 PM
Today I went along with a friend into a neighbouring town. I was going to help him move an antique vanity that he bought his wife as a surprise gift. When we got there, half of the house was packed up...a real mess.

As my buddy and this guy were chatting, I noticed several crates of LPs. I went over and started browsing. Finally they came over to me, and I asked him if they were his.

"Actually I don't know who's they are. Why? You use records?"

Before I can even say yes, he says...

"You can take em all if you want..."

:arf:

There were 4 crates. I left what I didn't want, or what was too damaged. For the most part they are lightly used but some titles are in only average condition.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4101/4818351275_44b96fa3cd.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4080/4818970352_14aa9dca18.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4078/4818968592_b11e16047b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4080/4818966558_c365fd3248.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4099/4818962700_9965d7a5ba.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4136/4818964422_3df2c5442a.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4114/4818960938_52c26fdd27.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4082/4818959168_70fc782ea1.jpg

And the piece de resistance...this is one of those Time Life deals. 3 180g LPs, all mint with a book too!!!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/4818957262_eb39fa711d.jpg

Hey Pops...I've had alots of those jazz lps over the years. RIchard "Grove" Holmes is a very good organist. Do me a favor and let me know the quality of the Time Life recordings. Are they good recordings? There is a used record shop near me that has a bunch of those but I stayed away because I didn't want to take a chance on buying bad recordings. "Grove" Holmes is from right here in St. Louis.

frenchmon
07-23-2010, 04:53 PM
OK this week just reached stupid proportions. I am now numb to the joy. Forgot that frenchmon had this little gem in the mail for me. Brand new re-issue, 180g. Gorgeous.

fenchmon, it sounds amazing. Open and detailed. Great pressing!

Enjoy my friend...you deserve it.

frenchmon
07-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Pops that Pat Metheny "Off Ramp" is also a good one.....You've got to listen to the one tune on that album called "Are you going with me". Its Methenys vey first hit that put him on the map.

frenchmon
07-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Oh man...That Ramsey Lewis and Earth Wind and Fire!!!! Bringing back memories my man....The first cut on side one....Sun Goddess is fantastic.