What happened to the Grammy thread? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the Grammy thread?

Hyfi
02-08-2010, 11:26 AM
I guess there wasn't one.

I normally never watch award shows where celebrities pat each other and themselves on the back all night. I also have no idea who votes for these winners.

I was just passing thru and did like the Zack Brown with Leon Russel set. But, the show quickly went off after they had Celene Dion singing a Michael Jackson tune, which was bad enough. When Green Day won Best Rock Album of the Year, I was definitely through with the show. If that is the best Rock there is, then Rock Music is dead. How in the world can they have the best rock album?

Swish
02-09-2010, 06:26 AM
I guess there wasn't one.

I normally never watch award shows where celebrities pat each other and themselves on the back all night. I also have no idea who votes for these winners.

I was just passing thru and did like the Zack Brown with Leon Russel set. But, the show quickly went off after they had Celene Dion singing a Michael Jackson tune, which was bad enough. When Green Day won Best Rock Album of the Year, I was definitely through with the show. If that is the best Rock there is, then Rock Music is dead. How in the world can they have the best rock album?

We've been down this road many times on RR, and I the consensus is that the Grammy's are nothing but a popularity contest, musical taste is subjective and can't be properly 'judged', so we don't really care. I don't think there's a problem discussing the various artists, and some truly good ones that I like (Wilco) have won awards, but arguing who is the 'best' is futile.

Also, many on here like Green Day quite a bit. I don't and it appears you don't either, so maybe we can start a Green Day thread and bash those nut-jobs who like them.

ForeverAutumn
02-09-2010, 07:13 AM
maybe we can start a Green Day thread and bash those nut-jobs who like them.

:prrr:

I don't mind Green Day winning. It's that piece of crap Beyonce song winning Best Song of 2009 that had me up in arms about the state of popular music.

How can so many people have such ****ty taste in music. It's mind boggling, really. :frown2:

I didn't watch the Grammy's. Not one second of it.

Rae
02-09-2010, 08:32 AM
I don't mind Green Day winning. It's that piece of crap Beyonce song winning Best Song of 2009 that had me up in arms about the state of popular music.

I like Beyonce. To each their own.

Are there any music awards you guys do give credence to? For instance, the Mercury Prize? Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? I'm just curious.

~Rae

Troy
02-09-2010, 08:45 AM

Are there any music awards you guys do give credence to? For instance, the Mercury Prize? Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? I'm just curious.

~Rae

None for me. It's funny, for movies I think there are still a few awards that have value, but there hasn't been one in music for at least 10 or 20 years.

The music industry awards are just too much about money and hype.

I'm kind of a flatline on Greenday. I own American Idiot. They are ok I guess, but certainly nothing that makes me say "Wow, that was cool." I don't think they deserve the accolades heaped on them.

I caught a few minutes of the Grammys and saw the Greenday performance with the Broadway singers and big production number. What a colossal sell out. They should be ashamed of themselves . . .

Rae
02-09-2010, 08:49 AM
None for me. It's funny, for movies I think there are still a few awards that have value, but there hasn't been one in music for at least 10 or 20 years. The music industry awards are just too much about money and hype.

Yeah, that's the direction I was thinking as well. It seems like all of these things end up just being something for people to argue over. I can't remember ever being influenced toward buying a record or even checking it out on the basis of it being Grammy-nominated.

~Rae

ForeverAutumn
02-09-2010, 09:19 AM

~Rae

Sorry Rae. I actually have nothing against Beyonce. She's not my cuppa tea, but she is talented (and beautiful). I was just surprised that of all the songs of 2009, that was deemed the best one.

The only awards that I give the time of day to are literary. I always try to make a point of reading the annual winner of the Giller Prize and most of the short-listed books too.

Finch Platte
02-09-2010, 11:56 AM
http://www.kamsewunique.com/personalized-gifts-images/grandmom-flower-basket.jpg
Here's my Grammy. :biggrin5:

ForeverAutumn
02-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Wow Finch. You look just like her!