Cracking speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cracking speakers

MicX
02-07-2010, 09:06 AM
Hi all, new here to the forums so sorry if it's posted in the wrong section.

I've installed my DVD again today, it comes with a 5.1 speaker system. And for obvious reasons - and because I don't have a speaker set for my PC - I connect my Audio Output from PC to the AUX socket in my DVD player. All went well apart from one thing: the speakers are popping. I've narrowed it down to one cause: iTunes.

I just watched a DVD, listened to the radio and heared no cracking. But when playing songs in iTunes the speakers drive me crazy. Could it possibly be a too large library or something?

Thanks in advance,

MicX

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Hi all, new here to the forums so sorry if it's posted in the wrong section.

I've installed my DVD again today, it comes with a 5.1 speaker system. And for obvious reasons - and because I don't have a speaker set for my PC - I connect my Audio Output from PC to the AUX socket in my DVD player. All went well apart from one thing: the speakers are popping. I've narrowed it down to one cause: iTunes.

I just watched a DVD, listened to the radio and heared no cracking. But when playing songs in iTunes the speakers drive me crazy. Could it possibly be a too large library or something?

Thanks in advance,

MicX

It sounds to me like the output section of your PC is overloading the auxiliary input to your DVD player. You may need a pre-amp to tamp down the signal to that input.

MikeyBC
02-07-2010, 03:32 PM
DVD with an aux input? Or do you mean receiver?

pixelthis
02-07-2010, 09:32 PM
DVD with an aux input? Or do you mean receiver?

He means a HTIB, not that theres anything wrong with that.
The output on your PC might be intended to drive a set of speakers, which means
it is incompatible with your input to your HTIB.
Or it could be a bad cable.
Since most soundcards are line level out (not amplified) then this is probably not it.
Most likely cause?
Your speakers are being overpowered, thats what it sounds like.
Since the other sources come from your "receiver" my guess is your setup has
natural protection against a very cheap set of original equipment speakers.
Or you line input could be too low, and when you turn it up your cheap amp
"clips" and distorts, or your speakers get too much vollume and start breaking up.
Try another input source, a MP3 player, etc.
See if the problem is the same.
And try changing the cable, thats another possibility, either that or a bad connector.:1:

E-Stat
02-08-2010, 07:41 AM
But when playing songs in iTunes the speakers drive me crazy. Could it possibly be a too large library or something?
I agree with Sir T - you have too much gain. Solution: turn down the volume in iTunes or the master gain of the PC itself.

rw