James Cameron Best Film [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : James Cameron Best Film

Smokey
02-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Although James Cameron directed only 7 feature films, the list of films he direct is impressive and had many break thru in film technology.

I must admit that haven’t seen his latest The Avatar. But after seeing many reviews which on average give movie A for visual effects and C for plot, I go on a limb and give Terminator 2 nod for his best film as that movie get A for both categories.

Ranked by date:

The Terminator (1984) A novel idea. Go to past, to change the future.
http://www.yourprops.com/norm-457922c9e0165-Terminator,+The+(1984).jpeg

Aliens (1986) Sigourney Weaver is human female version of Terminator..
http://www.mouthofhorror.altervista.org/Images/Bordi%20e%20grafica%20sito/aliens4.jpg

The Abyss (1989) The film that started CGI revolution.
http://www.upf.edu/pdi/dcom/xavierberenguer/recursos/ima_dig/_4_/ig/abyss.jpg

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) The most popular film on laser disc :)
http://www.vratovrazka.bg/images/stories/tech/sci/robots/terminator.jpg

True Lies (1994) Outstanding action sequences dragged down by mediocre plot line.
http://medien.filmreporter.de/images/17691.jpg

Titanic (1997)Won 11 Oscars
http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/images/titanic-header.jpg

Avatar (2009)A paraplegic marine becomes torn between following his orders and protecting the world he feels is his home.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4023/4256049524_cc7926e0ff.jpg

poppachubby
02-07-2010, 04:18 AM
Tough choice. Also, I haven't seen Avatar which I suspect would be my new favorite by Cameron.

audio amateur
02-07-2010, 04:47 AM
As much as I love T1 & T2 (probably both in my top 10 movies), Aliens is in my top 5. I give Aliens my vote. I haven't seen Abyss nor Avatar but there's no way they will beat Aliens. I'm a die hard Alien quadrilogy fan (minus the fourth).

thekid
02-07-2010, 06:39 AM
I think the poll is asking the wrong question.
Should'nt the question really be which James Cameron special effect you liked the most..... :D

Sorry could not resist the jab.

Not to sound like a snob but he does what he does very well but lets not kid ourselves, without special effects he does not bring much to the table. I like action flicks as much as the next guy but with the success of Avatar and the Oscars just around the corner I have had about as much as I can stomach of the talk about the "film maker"James Cameron.

audio amateur
02-07-2010, 06:49 AM
Not to sound like a snob but he does what he does very well but lets not kid ourselves, without special effects he does not bring much to the table.
Believe it or not, there are very little special effects in Aliens compared to the amount they would have used had it been made today. The actual aliens are models and puppets, no CGI. Without a doubt it takes more than just CGI to make a good film, and imo this reflects in Cameron.
As for Avatar, it could well be hype & CGI that are making the film, but I haven't seen it yet so I cannot tell. Still, you can't can't be a top director going by CGI only.

audio amateur
02-07-2010, 06:50 AM
BTW Smokey, why have you left out the picture for Aliens?! I want!

thekid
02-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Believe it or not, there are very little special effects in Aliens compared to the amount they would have used had it been made today. The actual aliens are models and puppets, no CGI. Without a doubt it takes more than just CGI to make a good film, and imo this reflects in Cameron.
As for Avatar, it could well be hype & CGI that are making the film, but I haven't seen it yet so I cannot tell. Still, you can't can't be a top director going by CGI only.

My comments were a little tongue in check but I think you actually kind of make my point. Of the movies listed I would probably rate Aliens as the best film. There is good acting, dialogue and plot which do not need to be absent from a good action flick (see Speilberg,early Lucas and Jackson). If you look at Aliens the cast was able to build tension and suspense because there was not a special effect every 5 minutes (an alien puppet or Kate Winslett nude on a couch is still a special effect... :) ). The aliens were used sparingly as you point out more so than I think they would be if the movie were made today.

I guess our definition of what is a top Director is just different. For Hollywood a top Director is any Director who makes a movie that makes more money than it costs to produce so in that sense Cameron is a top Director as is Michael Bay. But IMO they are not in the same league as a Spielberg or Scorcesse when you use the term top Director.

Cameron is an innovator in some areas of special affects and film making that have helped in other mediums. I admire the time and money he has spent such as researching historical wrecks like the Titanic. As I said in my OP I just don't buy the hype that is going around right now that puts him at or near the top of a list of great Directors past or present.

Gerald Cooperberg
02-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Wha? No Piranha II?

You know, I hadn't really realized it before but looking over this list I don't think there's a single James Cameron movie that I personally enjoy. Not saying there isn't something for others, but I could live the rest of my life contentedly never watching any of these again.

-Coop

Smokey
02-07-2010, 05:38 PM
I guess our definition of what is a top Director is just different. For Hollywood a top Director is any Director who makes a movie that makes more money than it costs to produce so in that sense Cameron is a top Director as is Michael Bay. But IMO they are not in the same league as a Spielberg or Scorcesse when you use the term top Director.

IMO it might not be fair to put Cameron and Bay in the same catagory.for kind of directors they are. Michael Bay films tend to bring big special effects and sound front and center without much story line and plot, where Cameron tend to work the opposite direction where story matter first.

Also Spielberg Jurassic Park was possible due to earlier Cameron work on Abbys.

canuckle
02-07-2010, 10:52 PM
It's bizarre how Cameron gets hailed like Christ come again when he's done such a mixed bag and not much of it. The Terminator was brilliant and really changed the action movie genre. Aliens was arguably the best movie of that franchise and was truly gripping. The Abyss was magical, beautiful, and imaginative. T2 might still be one of the best action movies of all time. True Lies was just tragic. Titanic was successful in spite of how terrible it was; did anybody really enjoy that schmaltz? And Avatar is not even remotely a good movie despite what's it's doing to the box office. Cameron really seems to know how to manipulate the marketing end of things when he has crap on his hands... mass advertising campaigns were the only reason that anyone went out and saw Titanic or Avatar.

Sooooo... I'm all for Cameron films if they involve robots from the future travelling back in time, aliens eating Sigourney Weaver's friends, or aliens living at the bottom of the ocean. Otherwise, no thanks!

eisforelectronic
02-08-2010, 12:29 AM
There's a 3D remake of Piranha coming out, no touch of Cameron though.

Aliens has been a favorite of mine for many many years, however I think Avatar has become my favorite now.

audio amateur
02-08-2010, 04:07 AM
IMO it might not be fair to put Cameron and Bay in the same catagory.
I'm glad someone has said this

Feanor
02-08-2010, 06:50 AM
I gave the nod to Avatar, but it was a hard call. My alternated would be Terminator (1); I haven't seen Titanic and admit I have little desire to do so.

Yes, the tecnology and its effective use were big in my choice of Avatar.

Auricauricle
02-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Among Cameron's films, I thought that both Aliens and Terminator 2 deserve special mention. Both of these movies--especially Aliens--were preceded by very strong works that set the bar very high for creativity, innovation and good ole story telling. Cameron succeeded in all of these respects, if not exceeding them, by giving us characters we really care about. Now, if Cameron can come out with a good follow-up to True Lies, that would be just great....

Kam
02-08-2010, 11:44 AM
i voted Aliens, it was, imo, his best hitchcockian-style movie. i don't think since psycho were people as fooled into thinking they saw more than what they actually saw.

he had 5 alien costumes, and that's all you ever see. yet you think there are thousands of them everywhere. i'm glad they didn't have CGI then the way they have it now, where they would MAKE you see the thousands of Aliens everywhere. it was a far stronger film, imo, for NOT seeing the thousands, but seeing 5, and feeling the claustrophobia of that small group being trapped by the unseen thousands.

nightflier
02-08-2010, 11:45 AM
T2 really raised the bar for movie making, IMO, hence my vote there. I haven't seen Avatar yet either, but I imagine it will still be there well after the pseudo-intellectual self-stroking by critics that precedes every year's Oscar fever.

OK, now who voted for Titanic?

audio amateur
02-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Well, Smokey ain't doing it so here it is. Perhaps this will bring up the votes for Aliens:D
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/19249/800320-ripley_badass_large.jpg

Go kick some butt Ellen!

Auricauricle
02-08-2010, 03:16 PM
IMO it might not be fair to put Cameron and Bay in the same catagory.for kind of directors they are. Michael Bay films tend to bring big special effects and sound front and center without much story line and plot, where Cameron tend to work the opposite direction where story matter first.

I am not as familiar with Bay films--have never seen Transformers, don't really intend to. If I were to compare Cameron to any director, though, it would be Terry Gilliam, whose movies were all or almost all atrociously expensive, lavish productions. In terms of special effects, movies like Brazil and The Baron Muchausen have rarely been equaled, let alone surpassed. As well, Gilliam's movies have great pathos as well: The Fisher King still gives me a sore throat at times.

eisforelectronic
02-08-2010, 07:50 PM
only several hundred Aliens, not thousands.

Smokey
02-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Now, if Cameron can come out with a good follow-up to True Lies, that would be just great....

That movie probably would have been his better one if it wasn’t for silly plot line and story as it contains some of best Cameron action scenes. Like motorcycle and bridge scene. And a horse that is reluctant to jump a building :D

Well, Smokey ain't doing it so here it is. Perhaps this will bring up the votes for Aliens :D
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/19249/800320-ripley_badass_large.jpg

Thanks for photo as my image for Aliens disappeared mysteriously.

Couple of weeks ago I saw her on one talk shows, and she is more sexier than ever. Where other 90’s female action heroes such as Jamie lee Curtis and Linda Hamilton look washed out and old, Weaver look better than ever.

eisforelectronic
02-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Couple of weeks ago I saw her on one talk shows, and she is more sexier than ever. Where other 90’s female action heroes such as Jamie lee Curtis and Linda Hamilton look washed out and old, Weaver look better than ever.

She had to look good for Avatar!!

Smokey
02-08-2010, 10:32 PM
She had to look good for Avatar!!

Hopefully 3D will not add a few pounds :smilewinkgrin:

Auricauricle
02-09-2010, 04:41 AM
Smokey: Those silly plot lines and story were among the things I really liked about True Lies. I looked at the movie more as a spoof on the spy/action genre than an earnest tale. The movie was downright ridiculous and I think everyone who was involved with the project enjoyed it and was in on the joke....

Feanor
02-09-2010, 07:28 AM
Smokey: Those silly plot lines and story were among the things I really liked about True Lies. I looked at the movie more as a spoof on the spy/action genre than an earnest tale. The movie was downright ridiculous and I think everyone who was involved with the project enjoyed it and was in on the joke....
Auri, good call on True Lies. :thumbsup:

That flick has been one on my favorite rewatchers.

nightflier
02-09-2010, 11:02 AM

...Last Action Hero, LOL. Not a Cameron flick, but since we're discussing A'nold movies....

And who keeps voting for Titanic?

Smokey
02-09-2010, 06:47 PM
And who keeps voting for Titanic?

You don't know, and you don't want to know :D

If you click on number of votes in poll, it will show who voted for each movie.

Gerald Cooperberg
02-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Kam earned my vote with his eloquent defense of Aliens.

-Coop

Kam
02-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Kam earned my vote with his eloquent defense of Aliens.

-Coop

thanks GC! i was lucky to see this for the first time (and Terminator was my first *R* movie i saw, i think Aliens was the second) back in the vhs days when we got a copy that included all the 'other' footage that wasn't quite a directors cut, but had that amazing scene (imo) where they set the Remote GunSentries to block the corridor and then watched from the control room as the aliens were blown to bits by them, and the round-count quickly dwindling down. the tension from that scene, while, again, not *seeing* anything really, just amazing! Unfortunately was cut out of the theatrical release.

audio amateur
02-10-2010, 10:41 AM
thanks GC! i was lucky to see this for the first time (and Terminator was my first *R* movie i saw, i think Aliens was the second) back in the vhs days when we got a copy that included all the 'other' footage that wasn't quite a directors cut, but had that amazing scene (imo) where they set the Remote GunSentries to block the corridor and then watched from the control room as the aliens were blown to bits by them, and the round-count quickly dwindling down. the tension from that scene, while, again, not *seeing* anything really, just amazing! Unfortunately was cut out of the theatrical release.
You nailed it. It's one of my favourite scenes from the film. Truly awesome! :D
Yet another reason to vote for Aliens...

Auricauricle
02-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Gawd, you guys make me wanna go out and get it right now! Thanks alot, boys!

BTW: First time I saw the movie, I took my mother along. It took three weeks before the marks from her fiingernails got outta my arms, thanks to that film!

audio amateur
02-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Gawd, you guys make me wanna go out and get it right now! Thanks alot, boys!
You mean you don't already own it?? Go on, go buy it NOW! :D

Auricauricle
02-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Aye, aye, sir! Right away! Hup! Hup! Hup!

Worf101
02-11-2010, 06:23 AM
Is hot hot hot. I loved Sigourney in "Galaxy Quest" and she's still hot now. Her and Serena Williams and me and hot earl wrasslin'.... ohhh Mamma!

Worf

eisforelectronic
02-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Aliens isn't out on Bluray yet is it? Why would you buy a DVD?

audio amateur
02-12-2010, 07:16 AM
No I don't believe it is yet..

joner77
03-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Tough choice but I'll stick with Terminator 2. Avatar would be second best (may be just because the 3D viewing is so awesome in that movie) and Aliens comes third.