Samsung series 7 lcd - internet? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Samsung series 7 lcd - internet?

cyberpac9
02-05-2010, 08:08 PM
recently got a great deal on a Samsung series 7 lcd and plugged in a network cable....so now i have two questions:

1) my wife and i both have laptops...we've done nothing to them to connect to the tv, however she got a notification (DLNA i believe) in the taskbar asking if she wants to share vids, photos, etc...how is her laptop doing that and why is mine not asking the same?

2) other than widgets, is it possible to actually make use of the regular internet, or is it just these widgets and sharing of files with our PCs?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-06-2010, 09:29 AM
recently got a great deal on a Samsung series 7 lcd and plugged in a network cable....so now i have two questions:

1) my wife and i both have laptops...we've done nothing to them to connect to the tv, however she got a notification (DLNA i believe) in the taskbar asking if she wants to share vids, photos, etc...how is her laptop doing that and why is mine not asking the same?

It looks like the television(via the network) recognized something in her computer(a piece of software) that you lack in yours. Is her's newer or a different model than yours?

2) other than widgets, is it possible to actually make use of the regular internet, or is it just these widgets and sharing of files with our PCs?

Unfortunately no, its just the widgets and sharing of files. The widgets serve as a portal to get to the services, but there is no real browser in the television that is web capable.

cyberpac9
02-06-2010, 09:40 AM
thanks for the reply...yes, they are different models....just thought it was strange that the manual says we have to install software to enable the DLNA communication between PC and TV...oh well, i was just curious...

internet - thought so, just hoping..

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-06-2010, 09:44 AM
thanks for the reply...yes, they are different models....just thought it was strange that the manual says we have to install software to enable the DLNA communication between PC and TV...oh well, i was just curious...

It looks like the network(and some software in your wife's computer) already did the install for you!

pixelthis
02-07-2010, 09:00 PM

With windows seven a lot of net hookups are automatic and seamless.
If your LCD is hooked to the same network as your wifes computer,
and hers is a "seven" OS computer, they probably handshaked and started talking
without bothering the pesky humans.
Brave new world.:1:

pixelthis
02-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Some new models of Sharp and Samsung have net surfing capebilities, would your set be one of those, per chance?:1:

bfalls
02-08-2010, 06:03 AM
If you have Windows Media Player 11 and have it setup for file sharing, it will communicate with other DLNA compatible hardware.