paradigm studio 60 v2 or studio 60 v3 ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : paradigm studio 60 v2 or studio 60 v3 ?

audiomaker1
03-30-2004, 09:27 AM
Is The Extra $400.00 Worth Spending On The V3? Has Anyone Really Determined The Differences Between The Two Versions? My Main Preference Is 2-channel Music.i Like The Styling On The V3 But I'd Rather Have Better Sounding Speakers? Can Anybody Help Me Pls?????

topspeed
03-30-2004, 11:51 AM
Is The Extra $400.00 Worth Spending On The V3? Has Anyone Really Determined The Differences Between The Two Versions? My Main Preference Is 2-channel Music.i Like The Styling On The V3 But I'd Rather Have Better Sounding Speakers? Can Anybody Help Me Pls?????

If you can hear the difference and it's a marked improvement, then yes, you should buy the V3. I heard the 20 v3 against the 20 v2 and could hear a difference. It was subtle but there. BTW, if that $400 is retail difference you should be able to negotiate even more because the line is out of production. Factor that into your purchasing decision.

Good luck and buy what moves you.

Woochifer
03-30-2004, 01:00 PM
In my listenings with the Studio 20 and 40, I would definitely take the v.3s. They are a definite improvement over the v.2 versions, which I own. In general, the v.3 versions have more overall balance, excellent differentiation of sounds in the low frequencies, and exceptional imaging. Whether or not they're worth the extra money is an assessment only you can make. I heard that Paradigm's prices are going up at the end of this month, so it might be something else to consider. Another potential issue to consider with the v.2 is tracking down the matching center channel and surround speakers, since those are also discontinued. If you're willing to go second hand, then that should be okay and you'll save even more money.

RGA
03-31-2004, 12:23 PM
After reading what you said a few times I'm a bit confused. You say you liked the styling of the 60V3 but you'd prefer better sound?

That I take to mean that you didn't really like the sound of the speaker. Lots of speakers have better styling than Paradigm and better sound too IMO.

Keep listening to other speakers. Ugly speakers can look very attractive in 6 months if they sound great. Conversely the best LOOKING speakers in the world - if they sound bad will start to look very unapealing.

thepogue
03-31-2004, 01:39 PM
you can steal some now that the v.3's are out.....in any event you'll do well with the 60's the only other thing I'd offer is looking hard at the 100's v.2 which also can be had for a very good price w/the 3's out.

markw
03-31-2004, 02:13 PM
After reading what you said a few times I'm a bit confused. You say you liked the styling of the 60V3 but you'd prefer better sound?

That I take to mean that you didn't really like the sound of the speaker. Lots of speakers have better styling than Paradigm and better sound too IMO.

Keep listening to other speakers. Ugly speakers can look very attractive in 6 months if they sound great. Conversely the best LOOKING speakers in the world - if they sound bad will start to look very unapealing.

...for once, I totally agree with RGA. Buying a speaker for looks is like marying a woman simply because she's beautiful. Well, not quite as bad. When you finally wake up and realize what a mistake you made, it will cost you less to dump the speakers than the woman.

03-31-2004, 02:18 PM
I figured in my few years of life, appearances are most of the time not liked, only familiarized. Remember that beauty many years ago isnt the big breasted, 36 24 36. "Attractive" girls back then had some meat on their bones unlike the annorexics of today. Besides, remember that the primary function of speakers is to sing. It can be good for decor...but save that job to the vase or lamp.

trauski
04-08-2004, 11:47 AM
there are good deals out there. i narrowed it down to the 20 v3 for 900 including the good stands or some demo 60's v2 for 660 for the pair. i liked the imaging and tweeter better in the 20 v3 but not for the price difference.if you can find some demo you still get the 5 year warranty.i wanted the smaller speakers, also i have small kids and worried about the bookshelves being knocked over and wasnt excited about driving screws into the bottom of the 20's to help secure them to the stands.

Haoleb
04-10-2004, 03:43 PM
you might also want to check out the Axiom line of speakers before you plunk down for the paradigms.

N. Abstentia
04-10-2004, 05:18 PM
The Axioms just are not in the same league as the Paradigm Studio's. Axiom are great budget speakers that can be compared to Paradigms Performace line (such as the Atom) but the Studio's are just an entirely different class.

sugarrenae
05-14-2004, 12:03 PM
I have the Paradigm 60 v3 and love the way they sound. Excellent balance, midrange and extension. The quality componets used throughout the unit are also nicely done. I particularly like the way they sound with the pw-2100 sub from Paradigm. I just recently connected a good set of biwires and notice an increase of spaciousness and bass response. :cool:

mromero
05-14-2004, 01:14 PM
I have Studio 20s v3 and love 'em.

Jimmy C
05-14-2004, 02:33 PM
...I have a pair of the Studio 60s, v2 and I think they are a pretty good speaker until you hear the competition. But wait... you're going give up SOMETHING in comparison to the Paradigms in that price range. The Ref v3 is definitely better than my v2 60s, and, as others have said, only you can determine if the extra coin is worth it.

There are a lot of good speakers around the $1K mark, and I would listen to everything I could. Actually, the Studio v3 60s probably weigh in at circa $1400 now - there is a lot to listen to in that bracket. Want my $.02? Probably not, but I would demo the Vandy 2CE if in your area... a nice transducer. Not to take anything away from the 60s, but I think the Vandy is less "picky" about ancillaries, software, and surroundings. I would also look at sweeter, more forgiving stand-mounts. Sometimes less is more...

This almost seems like I don't like my Paradigms... not true, but again, they are picky. When the going is good, the are very satisfying... up to you!