YesMusic [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : YesMusic

MasterCylinder
02-05-2010, 08:05 AM
Over the last few weeks, I've been listening to my catalog of Yes CDs..........and while I agree they have some real clunkers along the way, the recording period from THE YES ALBUM until RELAYER (and even a couple of selections from GOING FOR THE ONE) is really and truly amazing............especially in the context of the competition existing at that time (1971 to 1977).

Discuss, agree, throw fits.

GMichael
02-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Over the last few weeks, I've been listening to my catalog of Yes CDs..........and while I agree they have some real clunkers along the way, the recording period from THE YES ALBUM until RELAYER (and even a couple of selections from GOING FOR THE ONE) is really and truly amazing............especially in the context of the competition existing at that time (1971 to 1977).

Discuss, agree, throw fits.

Discuss - Yes, Yes is one of my all time favorites. Even less known LP's like Tormato make me happy to listen to.
Which one is better? Fragile or Close To The Edge?

Agree - OK. See above.

Throw fits - You got it. :incazzato: :incazzato: :incazzato:

Finch Platte
02-05-2010, 09:17 AM
This is one of my favorites.

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2007/9/44sep26-yes.jpg

I was actually going to post a pic of one of the earlier Yes album covers, but if you Google Image Yes, this pic is on the first page, and for some reason, it speaks to me.

:arf:

MasterCylinder
02-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Discuss - Yes, Yes is one of my all time favorites. Even less known LP's like Tormato make me happy to listen to.
Which one is better? Fragile or Close To The Edge?

That is a very tough question of which there will never be a consensus answer.........both of those albums are extraordinary genius.............representing the very peak of their art.

For me personally, it is CLOSE TO THE EDGE............outstanding work.

MasterCylinder
02-05-2010, 09:38 AM
This is one of my favorites.

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2007/9/44sep26-yes.jpg

I was actually going to post a pic of one of the earlier Yes album covers, but if you Google Image Yes, this pic is on the first page, and for some reason, it speaks to me.

:arf:

WOW, Finch.............you totally surprised me............pleasantly, too !

I was expecting a tirade of negative critiques !!!

Good work.

GMichael
02-05-2010, 10:06 AM
That is a very tough question of which there will never be a consensus answer.........both of those albums are extraordinary genius.............representing the very peak of their art.

For me personally, it is CLOSE TO THE EDGE............outstanding work.

I was going to say Close To The Edge as well, but then I saw Finchies pick. I will have to agree with his choice.

Finch Platte
02-05-2010, 12:42 PM

Well, her nipples are a bit small.

:cornut:

GMichael
02-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Well, her nipples are a bit small.

:cornut:

Have you tried ice water or maybe a little pinch or two?

Troy
02-05-2010, 02:35 PM
I think Tormato's nipples were too small. They looked like a couple of arriving UFOs.

But really man, Circus of Heaven? More like Circus of Heaving.

Swish
02-05-2010, 03:56 PM
WOW, Finch.............you totally surprised me............pleasantly, too !

Good work.

Especially when it comes to prog.

Troy
02-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Especially when it comes to prog.

At least you could be, you know, clever about it.

Swish
02-06-2010, 07:48 AM
At least you could be, you know, clever about it.
...sarcasm, obfuscation, misdirection, subterfuge, guile and complete balderdash? Nah.

3LB
02-06-2010, 10:08 PM
I love Yes! My fave album is Going For The One. I have some love for Drama as well. Of course the "classic" '71/'72 albums.

Tormato is a turd. Tales From Topigraphical Oceans is OK though too dense. I might like Relayer more if the production wasn't so bad and the song Sound Chaser wasn't so ridiculous. The latter-day Yes albums are spotty at best but do contain a few gems.

MasterCylinder
02-10-2010, 11:00 AM
"Tormato is a turd. Tales From Topigraphical Oceans is OK though too dense. I might like Relayer more if the production wasn't so bad and the song Sound Chaser wasn't so ridiculous."

I have to agree with you and Troy on TORMATO............IMO, their worst effort.

Your other comment drove me to my Japaneze remaster collection to grab RELAYER for a listen in the car.............a better sound than the original release but not enough of an improvement to sound great..............I read somewhere that this album was made in Squire's home studio, thus, the sound is not as good as most.............even though there are some questionable moments on these songs, the ideas are groundbreaking...........pushing for new highs........SOUNDCHASER written in 5/8.

In music school back in 1977, I transcribed TO BE OVER for a 12-piece percussion ensemble............with the vibes and bells, it worked very well...........beautiful.

MasterCylinder
02-11-2010, 06:39 AM
Check this out........this guy does an excellent acoustic rendition of TO BE OVER.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPH28pGo_RA