Tuesday Toonage [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Toonage

mad rhetorik
03-30-2004, 08:57 AM
Surprised that nobody's started a Tuesday thread yet. Ah well, I'll play:

Pink Floyd: <b>Animals</b>
Currently spinning "Dogs." Greatest 15+ min. track ever? Possibly. Love Waters' lines on this:

<i>I gotta admit
That I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me
As if I'm just being used.
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off
This creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground,
How can I find my way out of this maze?

Deaf, dumb, and blind,
You just keep on pretending
That everyone's expendable,
And no one has a real friend.
It seems to you the thing to do
Would be to isolate the winner
Everything's done under the sun
And you believe at heart, everyone's a killer..</i>

King's X: <b>Gretchen Goes To Nebraska</b>
Spinning this one last night, I came upon the revelation that Ty Tabor is a great guitarist. His leads absolutely smoke on this album.

Led Zeppelin: <b>Houses Of The Holy</b>
The Dillinger Escape Plan: <b>Calculating Infinity</b>
Nirvana: <b>Unplugged In NY</b>
The Pixies: <b>Bossanova</b>
The Kinks: <b>Arthur</b>
Miles Davis: <b>Kind Of Blue</b>
Operation Ivy: <b>Energy</b>

BTW, everybody who ordered NY comps from me last week: They are on the way!

newtrix1
03-30-2004, 09:12 AM
Currently spinning "Dogs." Greatest 15+ min. track ever? Possibly.

Sounds like the start of a good thread... :)

this week in music:

Led Zep 1
Twilight Singers: Blackberry Belle
Starsailor: Love is Here
The Doors: LA Woman
Talking Heads: True Stories
Yes: The Yes ALbum
Prince: The Hits 2
Public Enemy: Takes a Nation
Outkast: Stankonia
A3: Exile on Coldharbor Lane

cranked up the old turntable too. On vinyl:

Prince: Sign-o-the Times
Kinks: an early best of collection
Yes: Going for the One
The Who: Face Dances
Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense
Peter Gabriel: Security

DarrenH
03-30-2004, 11:03 AM
Miles Davis - Agharta. A smokin' live 2 CD set recorded in Japan Februrary, 1975. This is the afternoon show. Pangaea, the evening show, is on order and should be arriving any day now.

Miles Davis - B!tches Brew. Disc 1 of the BB Complete Box set.

Weather Report - Heavy Weather

Isildurs Bane - Mind Vol 1
Isildurs Bane - Mind Vol 4: Pass

Cressida - Cressida. Excellent music from this little known early 70's prog band.

Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power
Chain - Reconstruct

Dream Theater - Master Of Puppets. Yes, you read that right. It's from the Official Bootleg Series being offered by Ystejam Records. DT plays the entire Metallica Puppets album. They nailed it, musically, but LaBrie is no Hetfield. It wasn't bad.

Fuzzy Duck - Fuzzy Duck. Excellent UK rock and roll from the early 70's. Thanks Jack70 for turning me on to this band. I just love it.

Styx - Equinox, Crystal Ball and The Grand Illusion. Even watched the Return To Paradise DVD. Most of you will wonder why I would torture myself in such ways but I've always dug Styx.

Some Tull, some Crimson. The usual fodder.

DPM's Prog Attack IV. Gagutz gudamy le mayagot kivitetty saatana ayo aise. Great stuff man.

Darren

Edit: Forgot these......

Zappa - Hot Rats. This is such a freakin' great album.
Zappa - Waka/Jawaka. Not a good as Hot Rots but nothing to spit at for sure.

Troy
03-30-2004, 11:13 AM
Greatest 15 + minute track goes to "Suppers Ready" for me. Dogs is killer though. Great Floyd album. Don't be surprised to see it my my spun discs list next week . . .

Some stuff this week, some old:

Gordian Knot- Emergent. 21st century fusion. Not as good as the other one overall, but a few stand out tracks.

Stanly Clarke- School Days. 20th century fusion. A classic of the genre.

XTC- Wasp Star. My GOD this is SUCH a good band that gets no respect from the masses.

Jason Falkner- Can you still Feel? Classic 90s overproduced power pop.

Radiohead- The Bends. I liked it more the last time I listened to it a few months ago. Hmmmm.

Some new:

Blue Man Group- Audio. A percussion showcase. A MUST for drumming fans.

Francis Dunnery- Fearless. Not nerarly as good as the other 2 albums.

Porcupine Tree- Sky Moves Sideways. 2 disc remaster. Loses the tight flow and dynamics of the single disc version. Sounds super clean, but I think the original has better pacing. Don't like new version of Moonloop.

Fountains of Wayne- Welcome Interstate Managers. Library copy. Kinda bland. Passable, but I won't buy it.

My new "Twisted in the Covers" comp.

Hyfi
03-30-2004, 11:16 AM
I haven't played in a long while so here is the pitiful list of disks I have had the time to listen to.

Jimmy Vaughan- Do You Get The Blues
SRV- Ridin' With The King
SRV- Couldn't Stand The Weather
King Crimson- Absent Lovers..... after an earlier post asked about it.
Los Lonely Boys.......Still can't overplay this one.
Rolly Brown- Max's Ramble

Comps.........they still rule my playtime because of the veriety factor.

The Many Skins of Bruford ....by Hyfi.....oh, thats me
All Kinds O Blooz ....by J
Cowboy Swing ...by Jack70
No Dogmas ...by 3LB

Somewhat off topic but music related....

I recently rearanged my audio components....um to look better. (WAF) I had my amp sitting on a 1" thick quarry stone slab, on 4 tennis balls, sitting behind my rack on the floor with thick shag carpet. I moved the amp to the bottom shelf ov my wooden A/V rack/furniture. The sound totaly changed. Although the midrange got more mellow and tube like, the bass in return turned to mush. No detail, no slam and lots of vibrations that are not sound. I then put the stone slab underneath the amp, then sorbothane under the stone, then the tennis balls between the sorbothane and stone. The latter was the best improvement but is still not anywhere near the sound I had. In the rack, the amp cover and heatsink body vibrates while on the floor behind the action, it did not.

I am a believer in isolation, so I probably already know the answer. I do plan to put it back the way it was when I have a day to play and feel like manuvering the 50 some pound amp around. The only other factor that comes to mind is that I have a tube pre-amp. These 12ax7s are only 6-8 months old and I am not sure what it should sound like as a tube goes bad.

Am I experiencing real world proof that isolating components has a positive effect on sound, or am I just going deaf?

Any ideas, suggestions, are appreciated.

Party on peoples,
Hyfi

Hyfi
03-30-2004, 11:22 AM
Hi troy

I like your 15 minute pick but am also partial to either In Memory of Elizebeth Reed or Whipping Post. Damn, Green Grass and High Tides is only 10 mins long.

I just pulled School Days out of the rack for the car........Love it!

Stone
03-30-2004, 11:31 AM
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drc900/c986/c98683xxqb6.jpghttp://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drf400/f493/f49325w60jy.jpg
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drc800/c850/c85003ap57p.jpghttp://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drd300/d352/d352640npsw.jpg
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drg100/g137/g13741bm0s5.jpghttp://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drg200/g252/g25236namjk.jpg
http://www.dischord.com/images/132.5.jpg

tentoze
03-30-2004, 11:33 AM
3 new ceedees:

The Tain, Decemberists- only complaint I have on this EP is that it is an EP. Look forward to the finished project. As innovative a recent band as I have heard.

Bonnie "Prince" Billy Sings Greatest Palace Music- I see that Pitchfork trashed this one recently, and the only thing I can figure is that nobody on their staff likes twang. I like this one a lot. Since I wasn't familiar with any of the Palace Music recordings, these are all new songs to me- great Nashville session players and a decidedly upbeat presentation to some of it compared to Oldham's spare arrangements as Bonnie Prince....

Your Country, graham Parker- 1st new stuff I've heard from GP in a long time- kinda funny to hear the power-punker age into a little twang- wait......I did the same dang thing........... ;)

Comps from Nobody and Jar, both of which are really great! Thanx to both.

Tons of old vinyl on Sunday............

Next............

Jim Clark
03-30-2004, 12:20 PM
Some new:

Blue Man Group- Audio. A percussion showcase. A MUST for drumming fans.

Not that I think you heard it, but the Blue Man Group has been featured mightily during the replays and telestrating(?) opportunities during the NCAA basketball tournament. Pretty cool, if I do say so myself.

jc

Dave_G
03-30-2004, 12:46 PM
What the hen did I listen to. Hell, I can't remember.

Oh, now it's coming to me.

1) Galahad - Sleepers - I love this band, they can get cheesy but it's real good cheese.

2) The Fixx - Want That Life - their new one, it gets better with each listen

3) UFO - Sharks - okay but nothing great really.

4) Camel - Mirage and Rajaz - Man, I just love Camel, and how I wish I could have seen them live. If anyone has a copy of Dust and Dreams or Harbour of Tears or Rajaz they want to sell, let me know. I have these on cdr only.

I almost bought the reissue of 90125 last night and Relayer but blew it off.

Darren, I think that Styx "return to paradise" is killer, especially that hot drummer dood.

Nothing wrong with liking Styx.

Peace!

Dave

richmon
03-30-2004, 01:42 PM
haven't been round much since my unemployment/loss of t1 line access& fiscal frugalness but new listens:
Medeski Martin and Wood 'last chance to dance trance - best of 1991-1996) - most enjoyed this, funky jazzy jammy thang. recomended to fans of a go-go or miles fusion stuff
Karnataka 'delicate flame of desire' disapointed in this, sounds roughly like October project hoped for more like Mostly Autumn, but not bad all in all
Izz 'I move' once I got past the first four songs, I understand why it came recomended. Them first four sound like a early Radiohead inspired mess, the rest is more my cup-o-tea.
Mostly Autumn 'Catch the spirit' two disc anthology, remastered,remixed. Several killer songs here, if you don't have any of their stuff, this is all you need.
Yes 'Drama'. Don't get the charms of this one. 'Talk' is my choice for best unknown Yes album, not this one.
Putamayo 'World Reggae' Their latest release. likable but not as as good as their first reggae disc (out of print). Would send dave g copy if it didn't have so much horns in the riddims.

MindGoneHaywire
03-30-2004, 04:18 PM
Richmon, I'm very sorry to hear you're out of work. Here's hoping you're back in the saddle soon.

My listening has been confined to sorting through what I'm bringing to the bar to DJ with on Friday night. Southern Culture On The Skids is playing up the street so I'm hoping for a good overflow following that. Doing it again a week from Monday, I noticed Blonde Redhead is playing at the Bowery Ballroom that night & figured it'd be a good night to be spinning. I did listen to a good Beatles bootleg (Unsurpassed Masters, volumes 6 & 7), which has a dynamite version of Can't Buy Me Love. Threw on Motorhead's No Remorse for the first time in awhile, Cheap Trick's In Color & Heaven Tonight...great tunes. Also the Meat Puppets live in Montana, the Move, & Brad's 56 Minute Technicolor Dream, all of which have tracks I'll probably use in the bar. And the Brides Of Destruction album, too. Ha ha.

Slosh
03-30-2004, 04:38 PM
The Tain, Decemberists- only complaint I have on this EP is that it is an EP. Look forward to the finished project. As innovative a recent band as I have heard.

Yeah, it's excellent and doesn't seem like it's eighteen minutes. When I think of an eighteen minute song usually boredom come to mind but that's definitely not the case here, no doubt because it has five distinct parts.

Only other new-to-me spin this week was The Cansecos debut from 2002. Think: June Of 44 mixed with The Postal Service and you'll have a good idea of their sound. Initial spin the first couple of songs really stood out as excellent but the rest seemed a bit too samey. Couple of spins later and the rest is quickly growing on me (which probably means I'll tire of it fast as well :( ) I'll have to get a song on a comp so some others 'round here can get a taste as well. Haven't made one all year so far (well, not a real one anyway).

NP: BHP 3

Davey
03-30-2004, 04:49 PM
97°F today and it's still March.....I must be a friggin' idiot. You can bet my upcoming move will be in a northerly direction, no doubt there.

Mostly listened to that beautiful new Blonde Redhead album I talked about in Jim's other playback thread. And the Shins' <i>Chutes Too Narrow</i>, one of the biggest "growers" in recent memory for me. Slowly has become my favorite album of 2003. Also been getting into the last Lisa Germano CD. Didn't much appreciate it at first, but starting to really likeit. There's one song called "It's A Party Time" that just gets me grinning everytime I hear it, even though it is still a bit on the morose side like the rest of the album, but it's built around the melody from that great old Troggs song "Love Is All Around" with a little dose of Neil Diamond/UB40 "Red, Red Wine". Pretty cool.....but she's not a happy girl. Also fired up some Papa M <i>Whatever, Mortal</i>, John Coltrane <i>Blue Train</i>, Songs: Ohia <i>Didn't It Rain</i> and The Libertines <i>Up The Bracket</i>.

Bought some Shiner Bock this weekend.....man, that was a mistake, regardless of what one of the resident Texas guys might have you believe. Reminded me in a bad way of Michelob Dark. But if you don't step in a pile of dog doo doo once in a while, how ya gonna learn to appreciate the finer things in life. It was cheap, though :)

Also got a brand spanking new copy of Gregory Benford's latest novel <i>Beyond Infinity</i> from the library a couple days ago so started to read that. Put it on hold before they even got it in so it's a virgin. No cootie grease on the cover or boogers stuck between the pages. Just crisp, clean ink on paper with that new book smell. I'll probably read it even if it sucks.

Dusty Chalk
03-30-2004, 05:09 PM
97°F today and it's still March.....I must be a friggin' idiot. You can bet my upcoming move will be in a northerly direction, no doubt there.It was in the 30's when I woke up this morning, shivering. But don't move here, when it gets hot, it gets hot (extremely humid and in the 100's). I feel like melting those days.

dld
03-30-2004, 05:44 PM
Shiner Bock bad? Man, that Arizona sun has either baked yer brane or baked the beer. Try this, IF you last to the dog days of summer, drink one ice cold on yer patio when its about 140 outside. If you don't like it then, then there is absolutely no hope for you. Move to Michigan and help Darren drink that black sludge from Bell's Brewery at $2/bottle that they call ale, or stout, or Rogue Chnocolate Bastard or whatever while you wait for the ice to melt outside yer igloo in June so you can get out to go ice fishing on Lake Freezeyerballsoff.

I listened to a lot of crap this week most of it bad. the better ones were:

Blue Rodeo, Like A Vacation. A fuzzy little Canadianer with attitude gave it to me years ago.Not all good, but a helluva lot more good than bad.

Cajun Cooking. Wayne Toups and Zydecajun's twentieth best song is better than every song on this insipid piece of crap.

Flatlanders - Wheels Of Fortune. Finally, a supergroup that lives up to its legend. Cool factor is off the scale.

Richard Hell, Time. Talkin bout cool. Hell, hes even mentioned on School Of Rock. Real, unadorned, roots Punk. The Original version of Chinese Rocks anybuddy?

Neville Brothers, Brothers Keeper. A little more religious than I like, but
River of Life, and Fearless make hearing bout God and all that damn stuff near worth it.

Buckwheat Zydeco, Menagerie. Cajun Cooking artists, take note.

the Radiators, Songs From The Ancient Furnance. A near excellent Best Of

The Radiators, Zigzagging Through Ghostland. theres a reason only 1 song off this made it to Best Of

Randy Newman, Land Of Dreams. A few nice tunes here but all in all, not uppercrust RN material

Y***'s Raw Soul comp. some hot**** here.

Fiction Plane's album. Forget the name of the album. The boy gave it to me. I play it at work when I start nodding off. it awakens me.

My Randall Knife comp. I likes it.

Waiting for Significant Others on Bravo. Highly recommended. Get in on it now, or wait til the hype hits after season 1. Either way, its gonna happen.

i won't even mention the bad, other than to say, STYX, Aerosmith, Nazareth, van Halen, Kool and the Gang, Chris Cross, etc.. The devil made me do it. He won't fool me again.

Margaritas kicked in ealrier than planned, I'm done

Stone
03-30-2004, 05:56 PM
Move to Michigan and help Darren drink that black sludge from Bell's Brewery at $2/bottle that they call ale, or stout, or Rogue Chnocolate Bastard or whatever while you wait for the ice to melt outside yer igloo in June so you can get out to go ice fishing on Lake Freezeyerballsoff.

Exactly what's wrong with Bell's? I'm not sure which beer you're talking about, but Bell's Oberon is one of my favorites. It blows that Shiner Bock crap outta the water.

DarrenH
03-30-2004, 07:09 PM
Shiner Bock bad? Man, that Arizona sun has either baked yer brane or baked the beer. Try this, IF you last to the dog days of summer, drink one ice cold on yer patio when its about 140 outside. If you don't like it then, then there is absolutely no hope for you. Move to Michigan and help Darren drink that black sludge from Bell's Brewery at $2/bottle that they call ale, or stout, or Rogue Chnocolate Bastard or whatever while you wait for the ice to melt outside yer igloo in June so you can get out to go ice fishing on Lake Freezeyerballsoff.

Hey, did you ever drink that bottle of rum I left behind? I don't drink that much beer so Davey will have to go it alone, or help out Stone. Put a six pack in my fridge, come back in six months and it'll still be there. Now Bacardi, ah...that's different. Anyway, on those rare occasions when I do have a beer I prefer an ice cold Guinness.

Been pretty mild around these parts. Actually got into the 60's a day or two ago.

i won't even mention the bad, other than to say, STYX, Aerosmith, Nazareth, van Halen, Kool and the Gang, Chris Cross, etc.. The devil made me do it. He won't fool me again.

Just have a few more of them margaritas Dave. Reminds me of an old song "At Ten She's A Two At Two She'll Be A Ten". Hank Williams, I think.

Darren

dld
03-30-2004, 07:12 PM
Bells? Actually, I was giving Dave the bizness, but since you asked,

Best Brown = very drinkable
Amber = so so
Oberon =, hmmm, remember the oil that came out of your '72 Bonneville when you gave it its first oil change at about 88,000 miles? Remember that charcoal ash that was sitting at the bottom of the Weber Kettle for a few weeks? Mix em together, and you got a good facsimile of Oberon. Our banned friend sent me a bunch last year. Very appreciated and of course, my comments to DI were somewhat tongue in cheek. Somewhat. I'll take Shiner Bock anyday of the week. Or MGD. YMMV

dld
03-30-2004, 07:21 PM
Hey, did you ever drink that bottle of rum I left behind? I don't drink that much beer so Davey will have to go it alone, or help out Stone. Put a six pack in my fridge, come back in six months and it'll still be there. Now Bacardi, ah...that's different. Anyway, on those rare occasions when I do have a beer I prefer an ice cold Guinness.

Been pretty mild around these parts. Actually got into the 60's a day or two ago.

Just have a few more of them margaritas Dave. Reminds me of an old song "At Ten She's A Two At Two She'll Be A Ten". Hank Williams, I think.

Darren

Hey Darren, the wife's evil sister (you met her) was here a couple of weeks ago. We made a few hurricanes and knocked off about half the bottle over two days. Really appreciated. Guiness ice cold, thats the only way I can get em down. Margrtas all done. Work night.

audiobill
03-31-2004, 03:51 PM
I'll forego the comments and simply post my list of what I've been listening to....

The Kinks: Come Dancing With the Kinks
Peter Gabriel: Security
The Shins: Chute Too Narrow
Massive Attack: 100th Windo
Fear Factory: Demanufacture (some of the best drumming in music today)
Bob Dylan: Desire
Jane's Addiction and Spin-offs Comp
Primus: Sailing in the Sea of Cheese
Supe Furry Animals: Phantom Power
Calla: Televise
Neil Young: Greendale
Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks: Pig Lib

That's it, for now....
Bill

Dusty Chalk
04-01-2004, 05:04 PM
Oh, and yes, "Dogs" is easily the best 17 minute song ever. (Actually, most of the songs I know are either shorter or longer.)

Chip_B
04-01-2004, 07:07 PM
Righteous - Dag. White boy funk and damned fine white boy funk. Isleys, EWF, and Sly run through this stuff, but the execution is good. "Lovely Jane" is more infectious than chicken pox.

This Side - Nickel Creek. Heard these enormously talented youngsters on Tug's Grass is Greener comp and loved 'em. The musicianship is outstanding and the styles are eclectic enough to keep things interesting.

Interiors - Brad. Dusted this one off and cranked up 'lift', 'sweet al george', and 'funeral song'. Schweet.

Ain't Love Strange - Paul Thorn. Love the title cut and 'Help Me Out, Hook Me Up' best and 'I Have a Good Day' sticks with me too. The rest is pretty mediocre.

Wait for Me - Susan Tedeschi. Gave it another listen after stashing it for months. My initial impressions were pretty negative back when I bought it, but I definitely heard more to like this time around. 'I Fell in Love' really tears it up and 'Blues on a Holiday' is as good as slow, acoustic Blues gets.

So It's Like That - Joe Bonamassa. Joe's best, IMHO. 'Lie #1' and the title cut are great rockers and 'Pain and Sorrow' is 11 minutes (give or take a few secs) of pure, guitar-driven bliss.

Goin' in Your Direction - Sonny Boy Williamson. Sonny Boy #2 (Rice Miller) has been my favorite Bluesman since I first heard him. This collection of radio performances (on Alligator) is well recorded and brilliantly performed. The tunes are loose and free-wheelin' and Sonny's 'guests' are first rate: Arthur 'Big Boy' Crudup sits in on two cuts and Bobo 'Slim' Thomas on one.

True Stories - Jimmy Thackery and the Drivers. There are solid cuts here, but I'm still waiting for this release to take hold the way many of his earlier albums have. The jury is still out.

Soul Activated - Curtis Salgado. I bought this CD from Curtis at the Chesapeake Bay Blues Festival a couple of years ago and like it much. Curtis fronted Roomful of Blues at one time, but the feel here is as much Memphis Soul as Blues. 'Old Enough to Know Better', The Harder They Come', and 'Lip Whippin' are primo cuts, as is his interpretation of 'I'd Rather Be Blind'.

Circle - Indigenous. Circle stretches in more directions than their other CDs and while some of it fails, it more often succeeds. 'Little Time', 'Seven Steps Away', and Rest of My Days' are my favorite cuts.

Best of... - Sea Level. Most of this stuff sounds pretty dated now, but there was a time when I really dug this band. And 'King Grand' still gets the blood pumpin'. You gotta love lyrics like:

Can you loan me two 'til the loan comes through?
What about five 'til I catch my stride?

Why doncha let me hold ten 'til I find my friend (you know I need it)

Talkin' 'bout King Grand
Talkin' 'bout ten thousand dollars darlin'
All I want...
All I need...
All I want...

I'd a had it back quick, but my brother got sick
I swear he did
I'd a had it back today if I had my way
You know I would
We'd a had some fun if that horse had just run
The nag just stood there!

Talkin' bout King Grand...

Plastic Seat Sweat - Southern Culture on the Skids. Probably the sleaziest (and best) kitschy, surf-y, rockabilly band nobody's ever heard of (outside of this board anyway). 'House of Bamboo' sounds like like the theme song for a 60s romantic comedy and 'Love-a-Rama' and '40 Miles to Vegas' are twangy gems.

That's What I Am - Eric Gales. Killer guitarist that really let's fly. This is one seriously heavy Blues-Rock-Funk album with emphasis on the Rock. The title cut and 'Hand Writing on the Wall' open the album with some serious guitar thunder and songs like 'Blue Misty Morning', 'Black Day' and 'Insane' also feature outstanding, Hendrix-esque playing. Gale's cover of 'Foxey Lady' is executed with a nice R&B feel.

The Best of... - Robert Palmer. Too brief and too focused on just the 'hits', but considering Palmer's hits include 'Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley', 'Man Smart, Woman Smarter', 'Lookin' for Clues', 'Addicted to Love', and 'I Didn't Mean to Turn You On', that ain't necessarily a bad thing.

Hittin' the Note - Allman Brothers. I like this one better with each listen. It doesn't break any new ground, but it doesn't have to. I'm not sure they needed to repeat 'Rockin' Horse' here as it really sounds pretty much like the Gov't Mule version, but that's a minor quibble. I love the song regardless. The album's shining moment is near the end: 'Instrumental Illness', which comprises some of the finest slide guitar I've ever heard. Makes the little hairs stand on end...just amazing!

Racine - Sass Jordan. I hadn't played this one in quite a long time. I needn't have bothered.

Sampler - Blues Revue. Get these every other issue along with the mag. There are always a couple of tasty tunes in each sampler and this one is no exception.The best cut is 'New York' by the Fins--it flat out rocks.

Keep on Running - Robben Ford. Ford is a superb guitarist who just keeps getting better. His Freddie King tribute, 'Cannonball Shuffle' is outstanding and he does a fine job covering Shuggie Otis' 'Me and My Woman'.

Us - Peter Gabriel. Nice change of pace. Airplay notwithstanding, I've never tired of 'Digging in the Dirt'.

'Billy' Volume One - Various. Rockabilly/Psychobilly sampler I got in, of all places, a Hot Topic store while my teenager was shopping for goth gear. There are a buttload of great tunes here, but the best of the bunch is the Reverend Horton Heat's 'Loco Gringos Like to Party'.

With the... - Beatles. I'll always love this stuff.

Riding with the King - Eric Clapton and BB King. I bought this months ago and never played it until recently. It's a lot better than I expected; Clapton and King seem to be having a lot of fun and there are some real surprises, particularly two (!) Doyle Bramhall II tunes ('Marry You' and 'I Wanna Be')

Slingshot Professionals - Kelly Joe Phelps. S'okay, but my least favorite of his CDs.

Tanglewood Tree - Dave Carter and Tracy Grammer. Perfect for more introspective times, but isn't strictly 'folkie'. There's a bit of old school Country and Western and some mighty fine story-songs like 'Cat-Eye Willie Claims His Lover'.

Oh...and Jack 70s fine 'Bluesy Jazzy Breeze' comp.

A couple of my favorite tunes that are over 13 minutes but less than 14 are '1983...A Merman..." and 'Butterfly Blue', which clock in at 13:39 and 13:57 respectively.

-Chip