HELP - need to replace DVD-A transport/motor [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HELP - need to replace DVD-A transport/motor

IBSTORMIN
02-02-2010, 08:14 PM
My Integra Research DVD-A player just stopped spinning cd's. The laser is working but the cd will not spin. I am assuming the motor is burned out and needs replacement. Any advice on where to get parts would be appreciated.

Feanor
02-03-2010, 06:15 AM
My Integra Research DVD-A player just stopped spinning cd's. The laser is working but the cd will not spin. I am assuming the motor is burned out and needs replacement. Any advice on where to get parts would be appreciated.
Dunno about the Integra, but sadly most main-stream components made today are mean to be trashed if anything goes wrong.

Mass consumer items today are designed to be made as cheaply as possible without regard to subsequent repairability. If they can be repaired it usually costs more than buying a new one. (It's getting that way with automobiles too!)

That said, likely the Integra uses a standard transport provided by one of a couple of major OEM suppliers. If can get one and are able to DIY, go for it.

blackraven
02-03-2010, 10:24 PM
buy this Yamaha DVD S-1800 that plays SACD and DVD-A on close out for $79 down from $440. The SACD play is Stellar and IMO better than the Marantz SA8001/8003. I can't comment on DVDA because I don't have any.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-DVD-S1800BL-1080p-Upconverting-Player/dp/B000WKTG76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1265264581&sr=8-1

Build quality is good and the remote is good.

Otherwise get an Oppo BD-83se

JoeE SP9
02-06-2010, 08:30 PM
I bought a Yamaha DVD S1800. I'm very impressed with it. At Amazon's current price it's a steal. It's weighs 10lbs. It's dead quiet. It plays everything but BR. The remote is OK. It sounds very very good through my MSC DAC. SACD's sound really good!!!!! I'll be buying a lot more SACD's now.

poppachubby
02-07-2010, 04:51 AM
If you have the skill set required to replace the parts yourself, it could be worthwhile to investigate the cost. Feanor is most correct though, they often price these fundamental parts in the $200 range. If you need to purchase labour also, why bother?

I would start shopping around. I know the guys are all raving about that Yammy. I have been using a Yamaha CDC-575 as a transport with great results. However, you need DVD-A...

audio amateur
02-07-2010, 05:29 AM
According to amazon reviews, the yammy doesn't output 5.1 DVD A or SACD via digial outputs

poppachubby
02-07-2010, 05:45 AM
According to amazon reviews, the yammy doesn't output 5.1 DVD A or SACD via digial outputs

I thought true SACD had to be done with the analog multi. ch. input. DVD-A is different perhaps?

audio amateur
02-07-2010, 05:52 AM
I thought true SACD had to be done with the analog multi. ch. input. DVD-A is different perhaps?
I'm not familiar with either, so i wouldn't know. Im just pointing out one of the warnings that someone made in one of the reviews.

Did you ever get my email?

jvc
02-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Some players, such as my Oppo BDP-83 can output sacd as DSD over HDMI, but the receiver must be able to handle it also. Not all do. DVD-A is done over 5.1 multi-channel analog connections.

blackraven
02-07-2010, 06:43 PM
The unit also plays 2ch SACD.

JoeE SP9
02-10-2010, 12:00 AM
The unit also plays 2ch SACD.

Does it ever!!!!!:yesnod: Get one before they're all gone. You won't regret it.

IBSTORMIN
02-13-2010, 07:51 AM
Thanks for your suggestions but.......I would rather spend $200 on a replacement transport than buy a Yammy. Let me explain and illustrate.

The first picture is the inside of my H/K DVD-25 DVD-video player. Notice the small yellow transformer.

The second picture is the inside my H/K DVD-101 DVD-Audio player, notice the expanded circuit board becuase of adding DVD-A and the same size transformer they just laid sideways because of the slimline case.

The third picture is my Marantz DV4300 DVD-Video player. Extra board under the drive. Essentially the same size transformer. Perfprmance on par with the H/K DVD-25.

The fourth is my Integra DPS-8.3 (NOT INTEGRA RESEARCH) DVD-A/SACD player. Notice the transformer on the left end of the picture is much larger than any of the others. Everything else is larger with additional boards. Much better than ANY of the above but no comparison to the Integra Research below.

The fifth is my Integra Research RDV-1 DVD-Audio player. Balanced Audio Technology's influence is apparent just by seeing the two huge Toroidal transformers used on this unit, just like BAT uses on their amps. EVERYTHING is huge with multiple circuit boards. The large circuit board you see flipped up sits on top of the drive when installed and has a pink colored thing that looks like a mini car amp with heat sinks that must be a processor of some kind. Not enough room to post a pic of that.

By the way, Yes, I can repair this one if I can find the parts.

I am not lacking in transports, I want to repair this one or buy another. This is not only an outstanding DVD-A player but just happens to be the best sounding CD player I have ever heard. Sold for $3000 when new. This relates to the other discussion about Japanese gear. Onkyo had to go to an American company, BAT, to get an idea how to produce a top notch product. Even though, as Mr P. put it, "house of Onkyo knows the way of the current". Eventually I want BAT gear, but for now I want to repair this.

IBSTORMIN
02-13-2010, 08:13 AM

Both SACD and DVD-A are decoded internally and sent out analog to the receiver or pre/pro. This brings up one of my questions about SACD. I know that DVD-A has multiple levels of resolution with 192/24 being the highest. What resolution is SACD?

IBSTORMIN
02-13-2010, 08:19 AM
Some players, such as my Oppo BDP-83 can output sacd as DSD over HDMI, but the receiver must be able to handle it also. Not all do. DVD-A is done over 5.1 multi-channel analog connections.

This would mean the receiver or pre/pro is doing the decoding, not the player. Only an advantage if both the connection to and the processor itself in your receiver or pre/pro is better than the player's.

Mr Peabody
02-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Referring to DSD via HDMI, where to decode could also come down to which piece has the better speaker set up and bass management. These types of things are something the user has to listen each way an determine which is best.

SACD has a sampling rate of 2,822.4 kHz, 1 bit resolution, a stereo SACD can stream at 5.6 mbps which is 4 times the rate of Redbook CD. CD has a potential dynamic range of 96dB where SACD is 120 dB. SACD also extends out to 50kHz. What potential, Sony and Phillips sure mishandled this roll out or just couldn't get the proper support. But with Sony having a vast music library of titles...... well back to fixing the player.

audio amateur
02-14-2010, 06:53 AM
Good on ya Ibstormin, keep that beast of an Integra!